Vintage Fender Amp Stand? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 14th, 2010, 12:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Vintage Fender Amp Stand?

Anyone ever see a Fender amp stand that looked like this?

I'm going to pick this up off a guy on Clist today for a very reasonable price (i.e. a Jackson), really for the logos alone, but I'm curious if Fender ever had a Vox-like trolley cart for any of its amps in the BF/SF era....or is this a home made job?

Last edited by Singin' Dave; June 14th, 2010 at 01:40 PM.
Singin' Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2010, 05:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I have the 1968 Fender catalog and price list. They do not list any type of amp stand in either. So if what you have is real, they would probably be before 1968.
FILTHYJOE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2010, 06:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

can't say i have ever seen anything like that !!! maybe homemade ... or a Fender sales display ??? according to my info, Fender discontinued that logo in 1973 ... i would buy it ... if those are vintage logos, it's worth the price ...

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 14th, 2010, 06:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Yes, I've seen a few of those come up on eBay. I think a Jackson is a fair deal since it's pretty rusted.

Old June 14th, 2010, 06:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I've got it in the fold. Yep - pretty rusty but should clean up well with some elbow grease and naval gel. This definitely looks to be a stock piece - some sort of rolling studio stand for a Twin Reverb I think by the size of it. on the reverse side of the logos, it has gap for hanging the amp by the tilt leg stop bolts, shaped and everything

Logos are in OK shape, one a bit better than the other, and they are most definately bolted on in factory. This thing must have been an option with BF/early SF TRs and Pro Reverbs.

These are the exact amp logos so this is a deal regardless, but I'm hoping someone can chime in with any confirmation that this is not a possibly rare vintage fender Twin accessory before I do some surgery to unbolt the logos (which are bolted in the exact screw hole slots used to connect them to amps).

Kinda cool!

Old June 14th, 2010, 09:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

[QUOTE=
Kinda cool![/QUOTE]

Really cool! I'm jealous, and this is new to me as well. Good score man.
RubyRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2010, 12:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Well they are rare from the standpoint that you hardly ever see them. I think it was Fender's answer to Vox's amp stands back in the early 60's. Depending on how the rust cleans up you might want to consider keeping it in tact. If you do take the logos off even for cleaning purposes be carefull. So many times people take things apart with the wrong size screwdriver and leave burrs on the tips of the screws. It might seem like no big deal to some folks but it's a sure sign that things have been tampered with.

Old June 15th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I must admit I can't find a single thing on these stands via Google. I see some references above to seeing them on eBay and elsewhere but nothing yet via search.

No screws in these logos - actually rivet bolts. They were literally riveted on this metal backing, so taking them off is actually going to require fairly involved and careful extraction of a rivet as opposed to simply unscrewing the badge.

The more I'm thinking about it the more I think I should try to clean it up as is and keep researching. I might have something pretty rare on my hands... But damn - I have couple early SF amps that need logos!!

Old June 15th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Since they are rivited I would definately not remove them. I remember seeing one of these on eBay years ago in mint condition with the original box. If I recall correctly it sold for several hundred dollars. I regretted passing on that auction.
Clean it up and leave it alone. Be carefull to not get naval jelly on the paint on the logo.

Old June 15th, 2010, 03:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Thanks Jguit! We'll this one is most definately not mint w/ box! But I hear ya.

Just wish I could find some info on them and how they worked because I might be missing a piece or two that holds the bottom of the amp into the slots for tilt-back (you can make them out on the bottom supports in the picture above)

db

Old June 15th, 2010, 10:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

If I remember correctly the amp stand might have been listed in the 1968 Fender catalog...I'll have to dig mine out and see.
Radspin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2010, 10:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Keyboard stand? Don't throw anything at me.

Old June 15th, 2010, 10:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I vote against removing the emblems.

Old June 16th, 2010, 10:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by dented View Post
Keyboard stand? Don't throw anything at me.
That's not a bad guess, but these stands aren't high enough to play keys comfortably. It's definitely an amp stand and looks just right for a Twin.

But there's gotta be some hardware piece missing. There is no way I would hang a 90lb Twin on just its leg stand stops. You'd be asking for them to rip out.

The mystery continues and I willl not remove the logos until I figure out what I have here. If I can get some more detailed pictures this week of it, I'll post them.

Old June 16th, 2010, 11:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Those stands were made for the CBS era Dual Showman Amps. They were made to tilt back those monster speaker cabinets that were over 4 ft. tall, even with a Head strapped to the top of it!!
The pivot point was near the top of the stand, and the amount of tilt was adjusted in those radiused slots in the bottom cross brace.
Back in approx. 1972-73, I purchased a SF Twin Reverb Amp with a Dual Showman Cabinet as my extension Cab. (YES, it was very LOUD!!!)
With these stands, the Showman Cabinet could be tilted back almost as far as the Twin Reverb on it's Tilt-Back Legs. The Showman cabinets all had pre-installed inserts for the screws to mount these stands.

Last edited by SwampAsh54; June 16th, 2010 at 01:00 PM.
SwampAsh54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Outstanding SwampAsh!! Thank you for the info. That would make a lot of sense.

Given how big these Dual Showman are, I'm not sure what the market is for this thing, but it is cool. And I need the logos. Hmmmm.. decisions decisons

Old June 16th, 2010, 03:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Why not just buy aftermarket logos for your silverface amps? I wouldn't consider destroying the amp stand. There aren't many around.

Old June 16th, 2010, 04:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I'm strongly leaning that way Jguit. My SF amps are no real collectors anyway....I beat them way too hard for that. So yeah....I think I'll keep this as is...for now :) But damn - I can't find a single thing online about these!

Anyway you guys are great! There is a reason this my favorite forum.

Old June 16th, 2010, 09:08 PM   #19 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Figure out a way to mount one of your amps on there! What do you have, Pro Reverb, Twin maybe?
Jack Knife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2010, 10:32 AM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I'm starting to strongly consider using this for one of my amps, but the only thing I can think that will work is my '65 Showman 15 cab with my SF BMR or bassman head mounted on top. Not to keen about modding this cab to work with the stand.

Sold my '74 Twin Reverb many moons ago in favor of a '72 Super Reverb - Twin was just too loud for me. The SR has tilt back leags which work great though. Others include two bassman ('65 piggy, '67SF head), the above Showman 15 cab/SF BMR, SFVR, SFDR, 2 SFPrinceRs, SFVC and SFC.

Ah well. Cool piece. I may just clean it up as best I can and eBay it...