More Speakers = Louder? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old April 26th, 2010, 07:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

More Speakers = Louder?

Hey, I'm trying to get more volume out of my head. Would adding more speakers make it louder? To be honest, I'm not really entirely sure how it works. Why is 4x12" better than 2x12"?

TwoTones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2010, 07:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Who says a 4 x 12 is better then a 2 x 12? It is different for sure, but if you do not prefer the difference, then it is not better.

The best way to increase volume from a given amp is to use more effiecent speakers, a 3db increase in the speaker effiecency is like doubling the power of the amp.
celeste is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2010, 08:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Doctor of Teleocity

Not better, perhaps, but certainly louder. More speakers or larger speakers will physically move more air, generate larger sound waves. A 50-watt amp through a 4x12 cab (for example) will be somewhat louder than a 50-watt amp through a 2x12 cab.

Tim
Tim Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old April 26th, 2010, 08:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

The important factors are number of speakers and efficiency of the speakers. I would imagine that a pair of speakers rated for 102dB would likely be louder than a quad of speakers at 95dB. If you want a louder amp, check out your speakers and see if you can find a more efficient set to install in your current cab...unless, of course, you really WANT a 4x12.

Open back/closed back can have an impact, too.

Old April 26th, 2010, 08:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Armstrong View Post
Not better, perhaps, but certainly louder. More speakers or larger speakers will physically move more air, generate larger sound waves. A 50-watt amp through a 4x12 cab (for example) will be somewhat louder than a 50-watt amp through a 2x12 cab.

Tim
Only if you assume all drivers involved are of equal effiency. When you start mixing drivers with effiencies that differ by more then 3db, you end up with less volume then the higher effiency one by themselves

Old April 26th, 2010, 09:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Ok, I guess I should clarify what I'm dealing with. Right now I have a 30watt tube PA turned amp head. I'm running it through a homemade cabinet (looks more like a home stereo speaker cabinet than an amp cab) with a 12" Celestion Vintage 30 (which I've assumed to be pretty decent of a speaker). The sound is really full and bassy (which is a good thing, for sure). I'm wondering what another 12" speaker would do for me.

ps. Sure, nobody has ever said a 4x12" is BETTER than a 2x12". I'm just curious as to what the differences would be.
TwoTones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2010, 09:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I can tell you a Champ through 2 12's is fuller and louder than 1 8.

Old April 26th, 2010, 10:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

30 watts should be loud as fark

I really want to turn my twin reverb into a 1x15
Happy Tele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2010, 11:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

The V30 is pretty efficient, 100dB, so it's pretty loud. there aren't many speakers out there with higher efficiencies, to get things louder with just one speaker, but they are out there. Check the Eminence Red, White & Blue series--the Cannibus Rex is 102dB, which is a start, and there are others.

Old April 27th, 2010, 05:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTones View Post
Hey, I'm trying to get more volume out of my head. Would adding more speakers make it louder? To be honest, I'm not really entirely sure how it works. Why is 4x12" better than 2x12"?
If you want more volume from your amp head, i would suggest you look into a 4X12 with more efficient speakers.

Something like a 4X12 cab with 102dB speakers would deff be (((louder))) than your current amp with say, two 97B drivers.

PS : what amp do you have right now ?

Old April 27th, 2010, 05:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshman View Post
The V30 is pretty efficient, 100dB, so it's pretty loud. there aren't many speakers out there with higher efficiencies, to get things louder with just one speaker, but they are out there. Check the Eminence Red, White & Blue series--the Cannibus Rex is 102dB, which is a start, and there are others.
Not sure if you will be able to hear a volume diff between a 102 & 103 dB driver, but Emi has both the Red Fang & Wizzard at 103dB !

http://www.eminence.com/guitar_speak...2&SUB_CAT_ID=4

http://www.eminence.com/guitar_speak...2&SUB_CAT_ID=4

Old April 27th, 2010, 05:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Telefied

On the other hand, I don't think sensitivity should be your primary consideration when choosing a speaker. Tone should be!

Old April 27th, 2010, 06:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

My understanding of a "more efficient" speaker is that it can handle more wattage without breaking up... meaning that you can turn the amp up louder. I don't think that a more efficient speaker would be any louder at the same amp volume than one that was rated lower... or would it?

I would think that 4 speakers is going to louder than 2. How could it not be?
davidge1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2010, 06:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidge1 View Post
What's funny is a non-gearhead would probably think that is the craziest statement ever. If X power is going through 2 speakers = Y volume, X power through 4 speakers seems like it would produce 1/2 Y volume.

I know that's not the case, but it just seems so weird to see a statement that doesn't look right on paper.

Old April 27th, 2010, 06:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
My understanding of a "more efficient" speaker is that it can handle more wattage without breaking up... meaning that you can turn the amp up louder. I don't think that a more efficient speaker would be any louder at the same amp volume than one that was rated lower... or would it?

A fully cranked Deluxe Reverb with a 50W 95dB speaker will deff not be as loud as the same cranked Deluxe Reverb with a 50W 103dB driver from the same Co.

Old April 27th, 2010, 07:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

UH, No would be my guess. There are alot of factors that influence volume.
bignote is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:

No, efficiency is how much sound a speaker makes for a given power input. The usual rating is db 1 watt at 1 meter. So a 95db speaker will be 95 db's loud 39.? inches away from it if you feed it 1 watt, and a 102db speaker will be 102 db's at the same distance with the same watt. if we double the power to the 95 db speaker, it is still only 98 db's loud at that 1 meter, because DB is a log scale, not a linear one and twice the power is only a 3 db increase. Now, if we assume that doubling the radiating area will double the volume, two of our 95 db speakers are only going to be 98db loud at that 1 meter. If we double it again, so we have 4 95 db speakers and 1 watt, we are up to 101db at 1 meter with 1 watt input, and our single 102 db speaker is still louder because it is more efficient at making sound from electrial energy. That is how 4 speakers could not be louder then 2 or even 1.

Old April 27th, 2010, 07:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJackdeFuzz View Post
A fully cranked Deluxe Reverb with a 50W 95dB speaker will deff not be as loud as the same cranked Deluxe Reverb with a 50W 103dB driver from the same Co.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celeste View Post
No, efficiency is how much sound a speaker makes for a given power input. The usual rating is db 1 watt at 1 meter. So a 95db speaker will be 95 db's loud 39.? inches away from it if you feed it 1 watt, and a 102db speaker will be 102 db's at the same distance with the same watt. if we double the power to the 95 db speaker, it is still only 98 db's loud at that 1 meter, because DB is a log scale, not a linear one and twice the power is only a 3 db increase. Now, if we assume that doubling the radiating area will double the volume, two of our 95 db speakers are only going to be 98db loud at that 1 meter. If we double it again, so we have 4 95 db speakers and 1 watt, we are up to 101db at 1 meter with 1 watt input, and our single 102 db speaker is still louder because it is more efficient at making sound from electrial energy. That is how 4 speakers could not be louder then 2 or even 1.

OK, so you said it much better than i did

Old April 27th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

It's so interesting to see this thread. This weekend I pulled all my various amps together, and my 4x10 cabinet with 8 ohm speakers. I was experimenting with every combination of speaker/amp I could get. I have output jacks on amps, and was swapping wires on the cabinet to play 1 x 10, 2x10, 4x10 depending on the amp. I was doing stuff like playing the Fender Champ 600 through a Line 6 8 inch speaker. Having my Vox DA5 power my 4x10 cab, having my son's Line 6 run that cabinet, etc. Playing guitar through my Bass amp.

since I could run the 1x10 and 4x10 at 8 ohms, I was very suprised when bouncing back and forth with everything else EXACTLY the same, that the 4 speakers didn't really sound louder than the 1. Actually the 1 speaker was, if not louder, it was 'harsher', sharper, sounding than the same amp, same settings, same guitar with 4 speakers.

I was also surprised how much, even at lower volume, I liked the 4 speakers over 2 or 1.
(the Blackheart has 4,8,16 ohm outs, so I can run that amp at 1,2,4 speakers in that cabinet.)

Part of my reason for doing this, is I was thinking of taking two of the 10 inch speakers out of the cabinet, for use in other projects, but after this weekend, I'm leaving it as it is.
None of this is scientific, or precise, just one person with 5 amps and a telecaster, but it was pretty entertaining and educational.

Old April 27th, 2010, 08:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

My ss Princeton Chorus is 2x10 and is rated at around 25 watts per speaker (or thats what I heard).

My Bugera is 18 watts through a 12.

The Princeton Chorus is much louder.
hooch1 is offline   Reply With Quote