JBL D120F help needed - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old April 22nd, 2010, 07:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

JBL D120F help needed

I have been using a E120 ceramic original cone for a year now and just love it.
Based on that info I just purchased a used D120F Alnico apparently with a poor recone kit from the 80's (Waldom I believe)

So here are my choices for recone

A) Factory original E120 kit with cloth surround

B) A after market D120F kit with paper surround from orange county who has them made just for them, and is suppose to be a perfect copy of the original

C) There is a guy in Nashville area who is very famous for JBL recones. He offers 2 recones / a factory JBL E kit or a aftermarket E kit. The aftermarket does not attach the 4" aluminum Dome to the voice coil like the factory kit. The Nashville dude say people who have heard both kits prefer the aftermarket one. We are talking about some heavy hitting guitar players.

Help any info would help in my decision!!!!!

Last edited by bluetweed; April 22nd, 2010 at 08:47 PM.
bluetweed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2010, 11:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I have just sent my D130f to Upland Loudspeaker Service in CA. It had a rub in the voice coil and a previous "repair" to the aluminum dome.

Call Ken he answered all my questions about JBL kits, aftermarket kits pretty much what you're asking. Knows his stuff I'll be sending a D120f when I get the 15" back.
thegerm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2010, 12:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Nice speaker!

Looks like you have some good options there. Orange Co. is well regarded, so I'm sure they'd do a good job. I have no idea bout this guy in Nashville

Another option is Weber. I know some people think their JBL recones aren't very accurate but I've been really pleased with their work and thrilled with the price under $100. About a year or so ago, I scored a mid 60's's early BF era Showman 15 cab with tone ring in actually really nice shape for $100 off CList. It was loaded with a D130F that literally had the cone torn to bits. Owning a couple bassman heads and a Bandmaster Reverb head, I sent the JBL to Weber asking for as accurate as they could get but reconed to 4ohms. Speaker came back in a few weeks and kills in this cab with these heads. With shipping both ways, I was out ~$120. Here's the cab under my rehearsal amps:

Singin' Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old April 22nd, 2010, 12:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

A few years ago I bought a super clean SF Twin reverb with blown D 120F speakers...(I think the "F" designates its for a Fender amp)...
I talked it over with Ted Weber about the recone job on the phone, then sent the speakers to Weber Speakers and he reconed them with the aluminum domes...
they look cool shining thru the grill cloth...
They sound great, but since I never heard them before, blown, I can't compare the sound of original cones...
sunkidd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2010, 01:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetweed View Post
I have been using a D 120E ceramic original cone for a year now and just love it.
Based on that info I just purchased a used D120F Alnico apparently with a poor recone kit from the 80's (Waldon I believe)

So here are my choices for recone

A) Factory original E120 kit with cloth surround

B) A after market D120F kit with paper surround from orange county who has them made just for them, and is suppose to be a perfect copy of the original

C) There is a guy in Nashville area who is very famous for JBL recones. He offers 2 recones / a factory JBL E kit or a aftermarket E kit. The aftermarket does not attach the 4" aluminum Dome to the voice coil like the factory kit. The Nashville dude say people who have heard both kits prefer the aftermarket one. We are talking about some heavy hitting guitar players.

Help any info would help in my decision!!!!!
Based on your lead here I found the fellow in Nashville and I'm sending him my two. His name is Woody Woodell in Goodlettsville. He says JBL hasn't made a "good" factory kit in 25 years and he uses the best parts he can find.

You're right about the heavy hitters; he just did a 15" for the Opry's house steel player as well as just doing 2 orange frame D120F's for Brad Paisley's guitar player. He says he uses the same cones on all D120F's that originally came in the orange basket ones as they sound better. He's 80 years old and in talking to him it takes about 30 seconds to figure out that he's the real deal.
postjob62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2010, 02:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

This is extremely expensive,
but Tone Tubby D120F Hemp recone is the best sounding speaker I could ever imagine bar-none.

At 240 some odd dollars for that service, you might as well just buy another D120F with the original cone.

Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

The only thing that worries me about woodys kit is that the voice coil is not not attached to the 4" aluminum dust cap like a original JBL or like it is with the factory E120 kit.
Also he does not recharge the magnet. I hearing from most that after 30-40 years that all the magnets are at least 25% discharged.

Old April 22nd, 2010, 10:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetweed View Post
The only thing that worries me about woodys kit is that the voice coil is not not attached to the 4" aluminum dust cap like a original JBL or like it is with the factory E120 kit.
Also he does not recharge the magnet. I hearing from most that after 30-40 years that all the magnets are at least 25% discharged.
Don't know about the voice coil attachment, but based on his obvious knowledge and experience, not to mention his client list, I'd trust whatever he told me.

He did tell me on the phone today that in all his years of working on JBL's he'd never encountered one that actually needed remagnetizing.
postjob62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2010, 06:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

On Woodys kit the Dome is not exactly to spec so the dome attaches to the top of the cone like most speakers. JBL was unique is that the dome attached right on top of the voice coil giving some of the JBL highs we all know.
I also hear that Webers recone does not attach as well.
From what Woodys says there are some people who have heard both and they prefer the non factory version.
Its also weird to hear such different opinions about recharging the magnet. Weber
also says the speaker needs to be recharged

one thing for sure Woody is a real nice guy