SCXD or AC15VR? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 26th, 2010, 10:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

SCXD or AC15VR?

I currently have a princeton chorus that has great cleans but I have a bug to get a tube amp.

I've kind of narrowed down to these two but if you have different suggestions let me know. Right now, I just play in my house.

AC15VR - These are brand new so there's not a lot of info out there on them. I know its not a true tube amp but from the limited amount of info I've seen, they sound very close to real thing and even have breakup like a tube amp. I know some members here have them so I was hoping to maybe get some input if it really does sound "tubish". I admit, I favor the Vox look and reputation.

SCXD - I've seen these around town and they are a great amp. I really like the versatility of these and sounds like they would be a better practice amp. If it wasn't for this new Vox that came out, I probably would have bought one already.

I've seen used Blues Jr.'s around for $350. Thats tempting but they are very featureless so I'm not sure if they are a better deal than the above two.

I'd love a real AC15C1 or CC but out of my price range.

hooch1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2010, 10:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Welcome hooch1! You'll like it here (and your question will definitely result in some very strong opinions.

I've owned both amps. In both cases, these are not completely tube circuits.

The SCXD utilizes DSP on both channels. From my experience, channel 1 was absolutely beautiful, clean and dang loud. I almost said "loud for a 10" speaker right there but it's louder than a lot of 12" amps out there. Pristine cleans on that first channel. However, it's still throwing a digital conversion in the signal which, based upon your question, puts it in a hybrid class. Channel 2, for my purposes, didn't cut it for me. Most of the voices were overcompressed and didn't play well with my delays out front. If you're planning on using the onboard effects instead of stomp boxes in channel 2, you'll be ok. The reverb, although it's also digital, sounds pretty convincing.

The AC15VR is actually further away from a true tube circuit than the SCXD. There's one tube, a 12AX7, that is used in conjunction with the output transformer, giving it a sound and feel that approaches the power stage of a tube circuit. However, it's a solid state amp (which isn't bad mind you). It sounds sort of like an AC15 but I had a couple of issues. First, the reverb is a Belton digital verb unit. The Belton's have three different options of depth available on their reverbs and Vox chose the middle option (which needs to be cranked in order to even hear it). This was a HUGE mistake on the part of Vox. They sell a $120 amp called the Pathfinder 15R and it comes with a spring reverb. Not sure why they couldn't do that with the AC15VR. Also, the AC15VR is not as powerful as a 15 watt tube amp. Here's my original review on the AC15VR:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-centr...ics-sound.html

If you can get a Blues Jr. for $350, buy it. It's a good choice.
Faraldi is online now   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2010, 11:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Hmmm, I really like the idea of a Blues Jr. I've read it doesn't take distortion very well.

Now I don't play heavy metal type distortion but I like to play blues and rock, and I'm going to try and learn some country.

How does the Blues Jr. compare to the Classic 30? Is the classic 30 too loud for home use?

Edit: Also wanted to add that I have an RP350 that I run in front of the princeton Chorus. I was thinking I might use this as an effect pedal with the amp/cabinet modeling turned off through the tube amp if I needed effects.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 26th, 2010, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
FMA
Friend of Leo's

I will be the first, of many, to say if you can pick up a Classic 30 in your budget, do it. A very nice amp. Very versatile and just a good sounding amp.
My second choice, from the amps you listed, would be a Blues Jr.
FMA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooch1 View Post
Hmmm, I really like the idea of a Blues Jr. I've read it doesn't take distortion very well.

Now I don't play heavy metal type distortion but I like to play blues and rock, and I'm going to try and learn some country.

How does the Blues Jr. compare to the Classic 30? Is the classic 30 too loud for home use?

Edit: Also wanted to add that I have an RP350 that I run in front of the princeton Chorus. I was thinking I might use this as an effect pedal with the amp/cabinet modeling turned off through the tube amp if I needed effects.
Hmmm.... that RP adds a whole other dimension to things.

While the effects are good I think the RP series is better utilized for what they do best which is amp modeling. Again, I will have others who disagree. Not that it will sound bad using only effects but you might not get as much true amp tone that you're shooting for.

And yes, the Classic 30 is another great amp and has an effects loop, more powerful... another great choice.

Have you ever tried your RP into a full range powered speaker?

Old March 26th, 2010, 01:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I have only played the RP350 through my Princeton Chorus or headphones. Never through a speaker.

Honestly, I just threw that out there. If tube amps work better with individual pedals I can keep the RP350 on the Princeton and maybe use it on a PA if I ever play at church.

I really think my RP350 is ok for playing at home levels, especially since I haven't been around enough tube amps to know the difference. I guess I'm afraid if I actually go jam with someone or a band, my RP350+Princeton combo won't cut it. So maybe I'm looking for something that I can play with at home and take out? I would say play out only but then I'm afraid I'll never have a need for it.

Would a VT or Vypyr model be better? That way I have an amp that I can dial a tone in on at home and then use that same tone in a jam/gig situation?

Or is the RP modeling as good as those and I should look for a keyboard amp?

Old March 26th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

There are a lot of folks who play the RP through either a KB amp, powered speaker or standard amp. Questions...

Are you currently using amp modeling on the RP?

Does your Princeton Ch have a power amp in or an effects return?

If both answers are 'yes' then try plugging the output of the RP into the effects return of the Princeton Ch while using the amp modeling. Basically you're bypassing the preamp of the PC and are now getting the amp model that the RP is trying to represent.

Sounds like you're thinking a few different options. I think the RP + Princeton scenario would do just fine.

Old March 26th, 2010, 02:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Most of the time I do use the amp models.

Yes, I have used it in the effects return. It spends most of its time there. I've just been experimenting lately seeing if I could make it sound good in front of the amp. I have downloaded some really good sounding models so I'm pretty happy with it running into the effects return. Just didn't know how it sounded against real amps.

Plus its my bday and my wife told me to go buy something under $400 so thats another reason I'm looking. :)

I'm also toying with the idea of a new guitar but a good one is hard to find for $400 to go with my American Tele.

Old March 26th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Tough decision.

I play a Line 6 M13 which is an effects-only stomp modeler. No amp modeling at all and it's a fantastic unit. I've had the RP series and for church, it was really good but plugging straight into an amp, the M9 or the M13 are absolutely incredible.

The Princeton Chorus is a good amp and should be plenty loud enough for jamming with a band. I think you could do well with the M9 ($399 at Music123) as a great step up from where you are now. Keep the RP for church and stuff but once you get a hold of that M9, you're going to be amazed. If not, you can always send it back to them for a refund. They're a really good online retailer plus free shipping and no sales tax.

Let us all know what you end up doing. Happy birthday!

Old March 26th, 2010, 03:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thanks.

I looked up that M9 and it does look nice but while I was there, I started seeing all of these modeling pedals that were out of my budget when I bought my RP350, like a POD X3. I just complicated my decision. :doh:

Maybe I'lll just go pick up one of those CV Strats or Teles everyone's been raving about and be done with it.

Old March 27th, 2010, 01:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I played the AC30VR at the guitar store and loved it. . .but the AC15VR is more in my budget, can't wait to try one of those. . .I love the Vox sound, and that's what it comes down to. .
lareplus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2010, 07:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

If strictly for home playing, you may want to consider Vox AC4TV. Thanks to adjustable output, it can provide power stage breakup at reasonable volume.

If you jam/rehearse occasionally, consider a used Vox AC15CC. it provides relatively good preamp distorsion also at low volume.

Klas

Old March 29th, 2010, 05:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I went with the V22. Yea, I know the quality horror stories but there are also just as many great reviews and user experiences.

The TTK video with the V22 vs the AC15 really convinced me.

With MF, I can send it back if it doesn't work when I get it.

Old March 29th, 2010, 05:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
I went with the V22. Yea, I know the quality horror stories but there are also just as many great reviews and user experiences.

The TTK video with the V22 vs the AC15 really convinced me.

With MF, I can send it back if it doesn't work when I get it.
Nice choice. I think for the balance of price and features (plus the ability to send it back if it gives you problems) you did ok.

Let us know your experiences with it. Congrats!

Old April 1st, 2010, 12:39 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I got the V22 in and I must say that it blew me away with all the tones that area available. It sounds great to my ears.

However, after a couple of hours, it switched channels on me mid song. Happened again in about 5 minutes. Yes its the dreaded Bugera switching issue.

So as much as I love the tones back it goes. And I must say, that I'm kind of scared to try another. I wouldn't have a problem exchanging it if I didn't already see the pages upon pages of Bugera quality issues over at TGP.

Unless I change my mind, I'm probably back at square one tomorrow.

I'm kind of leaning towards the Blues Jr or SCXD. Maybe a Classic 30 if I can find one cheap enough.

Old April 1st, 2010, 07:28 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
I'm kind of leaning towards the Blues Jr or SCXD. Maybe a Classic 30 if I can find one cheap enough.
For home use I would go with the SCXD. I used to have a C30; great amps for the money and way louder than the SCXD. I'm not a big fan of the Blues Jr.; used one for a while and never was crazy about it although it always seemed much louder to me than the SXCD.
holgaguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2010, 11:09 AM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Does the SCXD get loud enough to jam with a drummer? Not gig but practice?

Old April 1st, 2010, 12:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Hey lareplus, does the AC 30VR have the same feel and output as its tube counterpart, or is it like most SS amps in that its like half the watts (more like the output of a 15 watt tube amp)? Nobody seems to have a firm answer on this and the specs just say 30 watts RMS which can often be misleading? Thanks guys and have a great day!
Maradona86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2010, 12:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maradona86 View Post
Hey lareplus, does the AC 30VR have the same feel and output as its tube counterpart, or is it like most SS amps in that its like half the watts (more like the output of a 15 watt tube amp)? Nobody seems to have a firm answer on this and the specs just say 30 watts RMS which can often be misleading? Thanks guys and have a great day!
Hey I'll step in here about the smaller version, the AC15VR.

It is absolutely not equal to it's 15 tube watt counterpart in volume. So I would think the 30 is the same scenario.

Old April 1st, 2010, 12:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I've had a SCXD for a couple years and really love it. Still feel like I haven't exhausted the tonal possibilities yet. I replaced a Blues Jr for it which, no offense to present owners, I really didn't like. The SCXD has a couple selections that sound just like it and I avoid them like the plague.
I never played the Vox so I can't compare just giving you my view on a very nice amp. You might consider the Vibra Champ also for the lower wattage. It's basically the same amp but at 5 watts instead of 15. I mention this because the clean channel on the XD sounds incredible when you crank it but at 15 watts it's bit loud. I haven't modded mine at all but I do patch out to a 12" for more depth on the Metal sounds I use occasionally. Good luck.

http://www.myspace.com/proazza
Randypttt is offline   Reply With Quote