Best 1x12" amp for classic rock rhythm ? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 30th, 2004, 04:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Best 1x12" amp for classic rock rhythm ?

I'm looking for a portable 1x12" tube combo amp that is able to deliver the classic rock rhythm sounds of the seventies and doesn't break the bank (or my back...), but can take a beating. Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Cheers,

J.J.

Old June 30th, 2004, 05:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Normally, I'd recommend a Top Hat Club Deluxe, as I own. It's a good, PTP, 18w, light weight amp with a tone similar to "early Marshall" or some guys say early Jimmy Page tone. Used they are a steal for a boutique amp.

Since you are in Europe, I'd really take a look at the Orange AD-15. They get great reviews for what you are describing.
Since they are in the UK and the Top Hats come from the US, I'd think the Orange would have a friendlier price in Europe.
UncleJarmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2004, 05:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Doc
Tele-Afflicted

What does break the bank mean? Classic 30, Hot Rod Deluxe with pedal, Blues Jr, Creat V series or Traynor come to mind.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 30th, 2004, 05:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

oh, oh!

Pignose G-40v...no reverb or drive on that one, but a solid, portable 40 watt tube amp.

as long as you've got a good OD pedal (and there's a thread about BOSS ones on the main Tele page that's helpful, if not) you can snag the G40 for 220 bucks (US) or so...

Old July 1st, 2004, 01:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Hi guys,

I'm a no pedals player, the crunch has to come from the amp. I was thinking about an old Marshall 1x12" like a Jubilee or JCM 800, maybe even a used Boogie Mark I.

Cheers,

Johan.

Old July 1st, 2004, 08:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Doc
Tele-Afflicted

Then you need someplace where very loud is OK.

Old July 1st, 2004, 02:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

the Blues Jr. crucnshes as does the Peavey Classic 30.
Both for close to 400 us. You may need more volume though???

Old July 1st, 2004, 05:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Hey Doc,

Isn't loud the way a rock band is supposed to be ? We have a pretty loud drummer and the lead player has a 5150 head and 4x12" cab, so yeah, I need a bit of volume...

Thanks,

J.J.

Old July 1st, 2004, 06:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzy Jay
Hey Doc,

Isn't loud the way a rock band is supposed to be ? We have a pretty loud drummer and the lead player has a 5150 head and 4x12" cab, so yeah, I need a bit of volume...

Thanks,

J.J.
Where does he run the Master Volume? That's the important thing. If he's choking it down to 3 or 4 then even a 20W-30W amp would be great and you'd still be plenty loud if you crank the amp. Remember that 1/2 the power doesn't necessarily mean 1/2 the volume. Speakers and configuration aside, it takes 1/10 the power to get half the volume. That means if you want 1/2 the volume of a Marshall 100W superlead, you need to step down to a 10W amp.

And remember, open backs will be louder than closed-backs. Some ported back cabs will be even louder (if they're ported right)

The reality is that if you like to crank the amp (which is the best crunch there is- that's how all the greats got their tone), the only places you'd be able to crank a 100W or even a 50W amp is a fairly big outdoor gig or Madison Square Garden. 30 tube Watts is plenty loud for most guitarists out there (too much in many cases).
dafack01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2004, 10:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Doc
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafack01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzy Jay
Hey Doc,

Thanks,

J.J.
Remember that 1/2 the power doesn't necessarily mean 1/2 the volume. Speakers and configuration aside, it takes 1/10 the power to get half the volume. That means if you want 1/2 the power of a Marshall 100W superlead, you need to step down to a 10W amp.

.... The reality is that if you like to crank the amp (which is the best crunch there is- that's how all the greats got their tone), the only places you'd be able to crank a 100W or even a 50W amp is a fairly big outdoor gig or Madison Square Garden. 30 tube Watts is plenty loud for most guitarists out there (too much in many cases).
This is what I was suggesting. Most every place I have played or been at, save concerts at stadiums there is no way to do this. Well, and nice isolation rooms in studios.

Dale

Old July 1st, 2004, 10:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

The Marshall Jubilee 1x12 combo would be a good choice for you. So would the Master volume JCM 800 1x12 combo.
Wayne Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2004, 05:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc

This is what I was suggesting. Most every place I have played or been at, save concerts at stadiums there is no way to do this. Well, and nice isolation rooms in studios.

Dale

Sometimes when I'm at a bar and start analyzing the volume and comparing it to my only amp right now (a 1X12 Tweed Champ clone by Victoria- 5W of fury!!), I think cranking that thing might even be enough volume If I don't need any headrom and the drummer's not too loud. If you play with overdrive, there's no reason that 90% of guitarists out there need anything more than 30W, unless they don't care for power tube overdrive. For volume, you can always play around with cabs. 1X12 for tamer volume, and a 1/2 stack for tons of OOMPH.

Tubes are loud, there's no way around it. If I played my little 1X12 champ cranked, EVERYONE'S reaction here would be "THAT thing's only 5W???!?!?!?!? It sure as HELL doesn't sound like it!!" I've gotten that several times when the rare occasion comes around that I'm out trying guitars I might actually buy and I take that little thing along.

IMO, if you're playing classic rock with overdrive most of the time, you NEED power tube overdrive. Angus/Malcom Young, Jimmy Page, Kieth Richards, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, (I could go on and on and on with this list) they ALL got their sound by turning the amp up. Not by having a 100W amp and running the master volume on 2.
dafack01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2004, 07:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Doc
Tele-Afflicted

I agree with cranked drive, if one can do it. Most venues do not want the volume of a 50w (or 100w) cranked though. It seems to me in most cases an attenuator or a smaller amp is the ticket. I built a 1x12 amp out of a Gretsch 6150 (Supro 1606 or Champ). At 5 tube watts it is loud.

Here is a shot of it with some other gear.
http://pietrzak7.home.mchsi.com/gear_1s.jpg

It is loud enough to get most things done, and if need be mic it. I have a Pro Tube Pro Reverb (12.5w or 40w) and a Blues Jr (15w) all are plenty lound when pushed. An 18w Marshall would get you the same place I suspect but volume can still be an issue at times. The actuall volume change from 100w to 5w is about 1/2 is all if I remember the math right.

Now I do blues more than classic rock. But even then it can get some grind ...

http://pietrzak7.home.mchsi.com/buckerdirt.mp3

But cleans up pretty well ...

http://pietrzak7.home.mchsi.com/buckerclean.mp3

Old July 3rd, 2004, 12:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

My PV Classic 30 arrived today. I forgot how good these are. I bought it as a backup, but it may see some serious playing time.

Put a Weber California in it and you are as loud and clean as you need to be.
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2004, 03:03 AM   #15 (permalink)
RIP
Tele-Holic

Find one of these Jay

1x12 JCM 800 Marshall combo. With the right speaker these get THE tone and don't have to be blisteringly loud to sound good.

Texas, its a way of life..............

http://www.cookiecrumbs.tv
Big Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2004, 02:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Winfield Thomas Brat. Killer cross between a tweed deluxe and a plexi Marshall . Little, light ,loud and a totally rockin 16 watts.
marshallmelloman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2004, 02:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

i'll ocncur with the Marshall brigade here. a 1x12 JCM800 single channel would be terrific! a jubilee would be great too, but there much more $$

as for loudness it depends on what your doing. ROck is Loud. my bands play clubs and we're all using 50w marshall 1/2 stack rigs. Yeah a miked smaller amp will work too and sound great, but theres something about the 50w amps that just feels right for ROck.
halouis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2004, 02:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

My vote

The piggy is good, but a 10 incher.

Bedrock 600 series if you can find one, great stuff!

Old July 16th, 2004, 03:18 PM   #19 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

A Mesa Blue Angel or an Ampeg Reverb Rocket 1X12 would work well with your needs.
bigjoeblue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2004, 05:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Did anyone mention the Traynor YCV20 (wine red version with the Celestion Greenback) 3 12AX7's and 2 EL84's ... this thing was some balls! :D I traded the YCV80Q(4x10) version to get this little gem! It was a great decision!
kgovero is offline   Reply With Quote