Best Value Fender for $500-1000 for jazz/funk/blues - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 17th, 2010, 01:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Best Value Fender for $500-1000 for jazz/funk/blues

Hi all,

I'm in the market for an amp. I'm pretty familiar with Fenders of all years, and that's the route I'm going.

Here's my setup and what I'm looking for:

I play a Tele Custom that I built with 2 Lollar P90s, and I have a Fulldrive 2.

I play jazz/funk and blues. What I'm looking for is smokey Fender clean (for jazz/funk), but I'm not opposed to something that breaks up a little, like a Deluxe Reverb. But then again, a lot breakup isn't essential, since the Fulldrive 2 can handle any amount of dirt that I ever typically need. In terms of power, I don't need too much. I play at home mainly, but I used to gig out quite a lot, and playing out could be in my future in the next 1-2 years, and I don't want to buy another amp if that happens.

Obviously a real Blackface is out of my price range. But my question is this:

Would it be better to try and find a Silverface (Deluxe, Super, or Twin) or a reissue? Or is there a better used boutique amp that would fall in the price range?

How expensive is the SF - BF mod? (I have no electrical abilities.)

What are the various characteristics of SF Deluxes vs. SF Supers vs. SF Twins? I'm much more familiar with how the Blackface versions sound. Is there really that much difference? Are the reissues better/worse?

Any other information is welcome, as this forum is overflowing with great advice.

Many thanks in advance!

mcdmw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2010, 01:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I have a bunch of Fenders and love them all, but another amp that's really quite versatile is the Reverend Hellhound. I just saw one in the TDPRI classifieds for $650. I had one years ago, sold, and always kind of regretted it. I found a used one a few weeks ago and grabbed it. It does Fender tones as nice as any Fender and has a UK setting that more mid focused. It's really quite an amp, I love it. There were also several DRRI's listed at $650-$675 that looked nice and clean

Old January 17th, 2010, 01:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

awesome. thanks for the recommendation on the Reverend. Do you think the DRRI is a better buy than a SF Deluxe?
mcdmw is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 17th, 2010, 02:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Poster Extraordinaire

I'd say look for a silverface Super Reverb. It covers everything you listed, and it gets along very well with a Fulldrive 2. I put removable casters on mine, but the amp's really not all that bad, certainly nothing like moving a bass amp or anything. All IMO. Best of luck, CS

"It was born at the junction of form and function." Bill Kirchen, from "Hammer of the Honky-Tonk Gods"
Chris S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2010, 01:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
KC
Friend of Leo's

I'd say a silverface DR is a notch more "real" than a DRRI and will hold its value indefinitely. My pick if you can find one. Or I'll sell you my '65 non-verb Deluxe, it's in your price range.

A Super for home use? Really, Chris? Though my main "bedroom" amp these days is an AC-30, so I guess I don't have a leg to stand on.
KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2010, 02:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Maybe one of the '80s Deluxes, Concerts or Pro Tube series will get you your sound cheaply. They're in all the pawnshops because they're not cool. Budget $200 more to really get them fixed, of course.

On the bandstand at a dive bar nobody wants to steal them, either, not something you can say about an obviously valuable amp.

Further back, of course, you've got the RI circuitboard versus used hardwired SF question. The '80s amps will have some of the circuitboard amps' problems with repair of micro circuits and flimsy pots. And there's the plywood. But the economics for a working player may be right there.
pbenn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2010, 03:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
A Super for home use? Really, Chris? Though my main "bedroom" amp these days is an AC-30, so I guess I don't have a leg to stand on.
Hah! Well, he did say he might be gigging out in the future. But you're right, a Super Reverb at overdrive volume will peel the paint off any nearby walls. ;-) CS

"It was born at the junction of form and function." Bill Kirchen, from "Hammer of the Honky-Tonk Gods"
Chris S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2010, 08:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I'd say a Silverface Deluxe Reverb is the ticket, but they might not be so easy to find under a k.

I've been eyeing something along the Vibroverb or Vibrolux pathway. A little more volume than a Deluxe (not sure I really need it, but the 6l6's sound so nice). They do the Fender Clean thing a little bit better than a Deluxe. But they also are a little tought to find sub 1 k.

But cash talks and in my case I don't have enough yet to call it a deal on anything (I'm paying off a guitar currently). I've seen a few pass through ebay that looked like good deals somewhere just under a grand. But not by much. SFDR's go for around 1200 or so at the low end. At least, that's been my experience since watching for one.

I love my DRRI. It's a rock n roll, blues, jazz machine. I've used it live a bunch of times and it always shines. My only issue has been clean headroom on outdoor gigs. With Chris' usual formula of mic'ing an amp all would be just fine. The DR is a classic soundign amp and I'm never disappointed in it.
or, if you're really bored, A year in Guitar
Axis29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2010, 07:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Ok, I see you have "JAZZ" listed as a requirement which kinda to me means clean chords is not an option but rather a requirement.

OF all the amps I have there is only one that can answer that calling, playing dark chords off the front pup of the Tele, Strat or Les Paul at a good volume. Hot Rod Deville 2x12.

I have a Classic 30, a SF 73 Bandmaster and a BF 64 Tremolux, all great amps, but not to be compared to the HR Deville for clean chords at volume.

$500 to $1000 is a nice budget, you should be able to come home with a nice amp, just make sure it's the one that can fit your requirement.