Take speakers or leave? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old November 9th, 2009, 01:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Take speakers or leave?

I just got a SF twin reverb which I'm think is around '78. I think I might be looking for something different, so I'm thinking of selling it. Would I be better off selling the amp together or separate it from it's speakers which are jbl d120f's. I saw a set sell online pretty well a while back and wondering if I split them would I get more for it than if they were together. Thanks for the advice ahead.

boxer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2009, 04:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Short-term,you probably would get more by parting it out.Long-term,assuming the speakers are original to the amp,it'll have more collectible value if it has them.I'm pretty sure yours is a 135 watter.JMHO-YMMV,I think SF Fender amps will appreciate very considerably once the economy comes back,and it might be worth holding onto as an investment.YMMV.
Dave Hopping is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2009, 08:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hopping View Post
Short-term,you probably would get more by parting it out.Long-term,assuming the speakers are original to the amp,it'll have more collectible value if it has them.I'm pretty sure yours is a 135 watter.JMHO-YMMV,I think SF Fender amps will appreciate very considerably once the economy comes back,and it might be worth holding onto as an investment.YMMV.
+1 agreed

http://www.reverbnation.com/#/redtele

If the music business was easy, then smart people would do it.
Donnie55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old November 9th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Sell the D120s.

You'll have a $350 TR left over. Master volume Twins are going as low as $500 right now. You may be able to find some used Emi 125s for another $100 or perhaps the "original" CTS speakers. Then sit on the amp until the economy comes back...

Or stick it in a Dual Showman Reverb head cab. Pretty sure it will fit into a Bassman 100 head but there won't be much room for the reverb.

Last edited by muchxs; November 9th, 2009 at 04:31 PM.
muchxs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2009, 03:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

What do you think I would get for the TR if I bought some other speaker for example emi 125 or something else? Then sold one or both of the d120f's?

Old November 9th, 2009, 04:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer View Post
What do you think I would get for the TR if I bought some other speaker for example emi 125 or something else? Then sold one or both of the d120f's?
SFTRs unfortunately get no respect right now. I can run out and buy half a dozen really nice ones in the $500-$600 range and that's asking price. That's a lot of amp for the money. I can't see why anyone buys the reissues when good late '70s originals are available. It's still a good deal even if I had to buy fresh tubes and do a cap job. That's just the market right now, there's no rational explanation for vintage guitars that sell for tens of thousands of dollars and vintage amps that don't.

Nice D120s go for around $200 each.

Bottom line: The TR will sell for $500-$600 and not a whole lot more with the D120s in it. If you sold the JBLs for $400 then waited for the market to catch up to the amp you might get a grand out of the amp (with whatever for speakers) a couple years from now.

Old November 9th, 2009, 10:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

alright thanks muchxs