How stupid is this idea? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old August 24th, 2009, 12:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

How stupid is this idea?

I have a small amp with a 10" speaker and a 12 will fit.
Of course, I'll have to make a new baffle board, etc.
How much of an idea will I get for how the 12 sounds if I just pop it in and have it blowing through the 10" hole?
I think I'll try it, but I won't know for sure till tomorrow...too late to crank it up tonight.

charlie chitlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2009, 12:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

You'd have to use a spacer since the 12"er's cone would probably slap against the baffle. Duno how it would sound tho.
Citizen_Insane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2009, 12:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I have a 15" in a 12" opening. But it is in a Bassman 212 DIY cab with lots of real estate for the drivers. You may want to blame it not sounding good on the smaller hole when in fact IMO your limitation will be cabinet real estate, of lack there of. Good luck though.

I would also mention if the existing baffle has threaded studs and nuts, you will poke hole in a 12, do not want to do that.
Hackguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old August 24th, 2009, 02:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

How stupid is this idea?

On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being really dopey, I'll give it a 9. What kind of amp is it?
strat a various is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2009, 08:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I'd first try the target speaker patched in from a separate cabinet that is properly sized for a 12". If that sounds promising, I'd make a baffle board for the 12" in the combo cab, but I'd mount it and try it before I went to the trouble of finishing that baffle board with speaker cloth.

Even if the existing baffle board doesn't have studs for the 10", I would be concerned the smaller hole size would affect the sound negatively.

And I would be concerned whether the cabinet real estate is sufficient, as Hackguitarist noted. So having (and trying it first in) a properly sized cab, will give you the information you need to determine whether the end state of having the 12" in the cab made for the 10" is good.

I put two 15" speakers in a 2x12 Bassman cab by making a new baffleboard. It was okay but I went back to the 2x12 configuration for now, and I rarely use that cab anyway. I fancy some day making a baffleboard for that cab for a single 15 in the center, and comparing between the 2x12, 2x15 and 1x15.

yegbert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2009, 10:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen_Insane View Post
You'd have to use a spacer since the 12"er's cone would probably slap against the baffle. Duno how it would sound tho.
Most guitar speakers don't have that much cone excursion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat a various View Post
How stupid is this idea?

On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being really dopey, I'll give it a 9. What kind of amp is it?
I'd say as an experiment it borders on being a semi-bright idea. Try it, find out what the contraindications are and move forwards from there.

If we never tried something because it seemed to be a "stupid" idea surely we'd fall off the edge of the Earth and be eaten by dragons!!
muchxs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2009, 10:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

don't poke holes in it with the fixed mounting screws...
jhundt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I would just do it. Personally, I love the slower attack and fuller sound of a 12" speaker. I find 12's to be smoother, less immediate, and loads more fun to play.

www.telenator.com
Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2009, 08:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Just keep in mind what the magnet/bell cover has to clear, i.e. transformers, tubes, etc.
Good Luck
backline is offline   Reply With Quote