New amp day! Peavey "Rock Master" head - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old July 15th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

New amp day! Peavey "Rock Master" head

Got this in a trade yesterday. It's a Peavey "Rock Master" head, not to be confused with the more recent preamp of the same name. 4 x 6L6GCs, 3 x 12AX7, 120W of output! Talk about clean headroom... Anybody else used one of these before?

It's a pretty basic amp, one and a half channels really, but it does do a very a neat switching trick so it's like having two channels! It has 3 gain controls, labelled Pre, Pump, and Post. Basically two preamp gains and a master volume. In the Clean mode, the master volume/Post is always set to 10, and the "Pump" is out of the circuit, so you've only got the "Pre" control. Loads of clean headroom! Hit the footswitch so you're on the Dirty or "Pump" setting, and you've got all 3 knobs again. The "Pre" doesn't really do much on this setting, however. It's easiest to think of it as two separate channels, with "Pre" being the clean volume setting, and "Pump" and "Post" being the dirty gain/volume settings.

EQ is typical 3 band, seems to be passive TMB style, with Presence control. The only other feature it has is an effects loop - not switchable, and it's TRS jack so you need a splitter, but useful for accessing the preamp feed, or using the power section with another preamp.

I've attached a picture - is it just me, or is the output transformer rather large? (I've never owned an amp that's 100+ watts before, so I don't know what goes for "normal" as far as output transformer size) Wouldn't be suprising, since Peavey amps are in my experience built like tanks...

I do have the cabinet, but it's nasty and being cleaned. Plus I want to make a custom front panel for better ventilation. I already cleaned the chassis, though, so I can show you that.

Looks to have all-original tubes, Peavey labelled. The power tubes are actually Sylvania/Phillips STR-387 tubes - I just looked them up and realized they're pretty desirable. I could probably sell the quad for quite a bit more than I've got into the amp so far... but if they sound so good I might as well keep 'em, right?

Anyway... just wanted to share the new toy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rockmasterchassis.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	28802  

f13ndus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2009, 11:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Oh, man! That's too cool. I bet that's loud and sounds great with a Tele!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Pickup View Post
'tone is in the underpants'
e-merlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2009, 09:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

The tone stack is set up a little differently from the amp I've been using, so it's taking some tweaking. Gonna have to open her up when the neighbors are gone and see what she's like then! I don't have a Tele right now - but I'm slowly piecing another one together, I miss the ones that I've sold. My T-15 is close enough, tone-wise, for now...

Just realized! All of a sudden my rig is ALL Peavey - Peavey T-15 guitar, Peavey T-20 bass, old Peavey Bandit as a low/medium volume amp, this Peavey Rock Master as a medium/high volume (and also bass) amp, vintage Peavey 4x10 cabinet for guitar, vintage Peavey 2x15 cab for bass! If I were a better player, I'd ask them for a sponsorship deal
f13ndus is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 16th, 2009, 10:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

We need a T-series guitar club. I've got two T-15s. I love those big single coil Super Ferrites. Kind of the best of a Tele bridge pickup and a P-90 rolled into one. I've got an extra pair I'm going to build a Tele around.

I've always found that when setting up a new amp I start with everything full up! No frequency cuts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Pickup View Post
'tone is in the underpants'
e-merlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2009, 03:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

i'm a huge Peavey fan .... i need earplugs just looking at it ...

Old January 24th, 2010, 04:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by f13ndus View Post
Got this in a trade yesterday. It's a Peavey "Rock Master" head, not to be confused with the more recent preamp of the same name. 4 x 6L6GCs, 3 x 12AX7, 120W of output! Talk about clean headroom... Anybody else used one of these before?

It's a pretty basic amp, one and a half channels really, but it does do a very a neat switching trick so it's like having two channels! It has 3 gain controls, labelled Pre, Pump, and Post. Basically two preamp gains and a master volume. In the Clean mode, the master volume/Post is always set to 10, and the "Pump" is out of the circuit, so you've only got the "Pre" control. Loads of clean headroom! Hit the footswitch so you're on the Dirty or "Pump" setting, and you've got all 3 knobs again. The "Pre" doesn't really do much on this setting, however. It's easiest to think of it as two separate channels, with "Pre" being the clean volume setting, and "Pump" and "Post" being the dirty gain/volume settings.

EQ is typical 3 band, seems to be passive TMB style, with Presence control. The only other feature it has is an effects loop - not switchable, and it's TRS jack so you need a splitter, but useful for accessing the preamp feed, or using the power section with another preamp.

I've attached a picture - is it just me, or is the output transformer rather large? (I've never owned an amp that's 100+ watts before, so I don't know what goes for "normal" as far as output transformer size) Wouldn't be suprising, since Peavey amps are in my experience built like tanks...

I do have the cabinet, but it's nasty and being cleaned. Plus I want to make a custom front panel for better ventilation. I already cleaned the chassis, though, so I can show you that.

Looks to have all-original tubes, Peavey labelled. The power tubes are actually Sylvania/Phillips STR-387 tubes - I just looked them up and realized they're pretty desirable. I could probably sell the quad for quite a bit more than I've got into the amp so far... but if they sound so good I might as well keep 'em, right?

Anyway... just wanted to share the new toy!

I had one of these in my teens back in the 80's it was a JCM 800 killer. I just found one and bought it used a t a GC. Cant wait till it gets here. It is in the Texas store so it will have to be shipped.
Firebirdv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2010, 05:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

That's cool..... I once had a Peavey Roadmaster head.... 160 watts powered by SIX 6L6GC. I wish I knew what I do now..... I think I might have gotten much better tone out of the thing back in the day (Mid 80's).

All the Pre, Post, Pump, Thick controls were distracting and confusing to my inexperienced head...... But it was LOUD. It'd be nice to have that one back..

Congrats on a cool score
eugenedunn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2010, 10:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

big iron , big power . pv has always used bigger trannies than most other companys to do the same thing . thats why they last !
Fontane57 is offline   Reply With Quote