equipment needed to start one man band. - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 5th, 2009, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

equipment needed to start one man band.

Hey all,

Im researching trying to find out what exaclty i need equipment wise to get a one man band up and running. I would like to be able to play guitar live and have bass, drums, and whatever else necessary to accompany. I have played by myself for quite sometime and looked for musicians to no avail. I have a PA, Fender 212 R twin tube, so im just assuming im needing some kind of software, any help is greatly appreciated!

chaseroonie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2009, 12:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Kickdrum/shaker-microphone-3 strings and a amp.

Hollmanp90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

BIAB..Band In a Box and you're good to go.....The current version uses wav files of real instruments and it sounds good!

Cheers
ce24
ce24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 5th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

You need two women...

ibobunot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2009, 02:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibobunot View Post
You need two women...
On the bucket list.
Joisey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2009, 02:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joisey View Post
On the bucket list.

Bob Log III is a genius... not a musical genius but a genius nonetheless...

Old June 5th, 2009, 03:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

a laptop with some good software could do the job just fine ...

Old June 5th, 2009, 04:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

here is a very basic list of what i use, some of it a little out-dated, i suppose, but it's all paid for itself many many times over and i never saw a need to up-grade....there's a lot more to it than what i have listed, but this post would weigh in at 14 pounds if i listed it all..sorry, no pics, maybe later..

for bass/drums/rythym i use a Solton MS40 module, 400 different drum/bass/rythym patterns, with foot operated MIDI bass pedals (similar to organ pedals) operated with left foot, also has a "tonality pedal operated by the right foot that controls volume and changes chords to 7th, min,aug,min7th...you can also have drum rolls, cymbal "accents", etc.

i use a MIDI controlled (from the Solton MS40) Digitech VHM5 vocalist for harmonies

i use a Roland GR09 guitar synth

one of my multi-bender equipped guitars and whatever amp/s i choose (2 needed if playing synth)

main drawback to a system like this is the set-up/teardown time involved, but soundwise and performance wise it was well worth it to me. i am not a fan of prerecorded backing tracks for the main and simple reason you are stuck totally with THAT arrangement and THAT arrangement only. with the Solton series drum/bass rigs you can create your own arrangements on the "fly", make the song as fast/slow/last long as YOU or your audience wants. plus, if you know the song, you can fill ANY request. if you depend on backing tracks, you'll find real quick you are going to need hundreds and hundreds and you still won't have near enough. the only limitation i have found to the "Solton" is ME and how many songs i know.

you also need a good 300 watt minumum sound system to run everything thru, trying it thru a mixer and guitar amp ain't gonna happen, you will need at least 6 channels and 8-10 is a LOT better.

this stuff is not cheap; last i figured everything up in late 90's, i had close to $20,000 in it all, and there was stuff i could have added even then...some just use a Boss DR of some sort and are happy with that; i never was as i wanted a "band", and years ago i tired of the "drama" of trying to keep a live group together, sober, showing up on time, getting their wives and girlfriends to mind their own business...one man band isn't for everyone, but it's what i prefer; OMB is somewhat a misnomer for me; i did a 2 piece since i don't sing because of severe asthma.

perhaps fellow forumite John Short from Perth, Western Australia will chime in on the topic; he and i have played together quite a bit using my "band"...John, if you're out there, jump in....

Old June 5th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I've been thinking about doing the same thing, with a slightly different approach... I've found a bunch of blues tunes already coded in MIDI, I just bring these into Garageband to tweak to my satisfaction, then export the audio to iTunes. From there, it goes onto my iPod, which will be connected to my PA. Select a tune and go... Guitar and vocals will be live of course...

Franc Robert
www.bluechihuahuarecords.com
backalleyblues is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2009, 04:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

The machines are taking our jobs!

Old June 5th, 2009, 05:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleeve View Post
The machines are taking our jobs!
The Singularity approaches......
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2009, 07:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

i used two Zoom RT323 drum/bass machines.

programmed 150 songs on them. i used a Digitech Vocalist for harmonies.

drums, bass, guitar, lead vocals, and backing vocals

good times. the only thing is when i was having a rough night, there was no one to pick me up and carry through.
guitarman_nebr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2009, 07:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

The only equipment I can think if is... a band.

Joking aside, maybe you should pre-record the drums and bass (playback through PA via CD player), then get a looper for rhythm parts. IDK.

3 Gibsons, 5 Teles, assorted other guitars, about a dozen amps, about two dozen pedals, a Smith & Wesson SW40VE, & a .40 SIG Sauer P226R = too many toys, no money, carpal tunnel, and a serious hearing problem.
JohnnyCrash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

If you program your songs in BIAB and don't use the generic midi import you can make them sound and actually be pretty free form. we have some songs like I shot the sheriff that is 8 minutes long. we program plenty of measures for riffs. we've extended Sultans of swing to something like 6 minutes or so..if you do it right software for a one man band thing can work great and BIAB is only 300 vs 20,000

Cheers
ce24
ce24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2009, 08:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

no one does one man band better than Martin Dosh, but there are no stringed instruments involved- pure drums and synths and looping pedals, and craziness. Very worth the live show, too. He's a hell of a drummer too.
(this really picks up around minute 3, but the first part is the building and necessary)
jmaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Garageband MIDI files..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by backalleyblues View Post
... I've found a bunch of blues tunes already coded in MIDI, I just bring these into Garageband to tweak to my satisfaction, then export the audio to iTunes...

Franc Robert
wait, this is news to me.

we can get files so that when they are opened in garage band...they appear like the projects you record yourself?? Like I could single one instrument out, cut little parts out, and record new things and remove the seams??

This could be a really cool middle ground for my brother and I to do some work together. I really like guitars and Garage band, and he makes the illest of beats. I suck at composing whole songs, specifically those bass parts...

Now that I think of this, it seems really simple, and obvious that they should exist. Where can I find fun tools like this?

F Six Army
F6_FullMelt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2009, 10:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Do a search for free midi songs (add the genre of your choice) and you'd be amazed at how much is out there, some are great, some not so great... save the file as a source (midi code) file, then drag into Garageband, and watch it break into individual tracks, each with its own instrument. I turn off the guitar parts (and a fair number of other tracks) and tweak some of the others (on The Thrill is Gone, I turn down the strings-too loud!), maybe change the kind of piano used, etc., then export the file as audio...

Franc Robert
www.bluechihuahuarecords.com
backalleyblues is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2009, 10:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

yeah, it sounds like a lotta money....but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ce24 View Post
If you program your songs in BIAB and don't use the generic midi import you can make them sound and actually be pretty free form. we have some songs like I shot the sheriff that is 8 minutes long. we program plenty of measures for riffs. we've extended Sultans of swing to something like 6 minutes or so..if you do it right software for a one man band thing can work great and BIAB is only 300 vs 20,000

Cheers
ce24
the thing is there is a LOT more stuff involved than just a drum/bass unit that i DIDN'T list...when i came up with my total of roughly $20,000, i was including 2 Fender Concert amps, MIDI tone generators, many, many cables, mics, 2 complete sound systems; 1 for vocals, 1 for the Solton, 4-15" with folded horns PA spkr cabs, monitors, some of the stuff i got back then is cheaper now....and trust me, i did NOT buy it all at once...i started out with me and my buddy Red and just the basics we HAD to have... we added to the stuff as we became more proficient and the stuff we already had started "paying for itself", PLUS we started getting better paying gigs pretty quickly ....it paid off good enough for us that we both ended up with identical "gig rigs" out of our efforts....and i still have mine; when Red died in 2007 his widow tried to sell his stuff, but no one had a clue how to even hook it all up, let alone use it, so she still has most of it....

one man band looks easy from a distance, till you try to do it, there is a definite learning curve...

heck...app. $20,000 ain't nothing when it's an accumulated total over several years....some guys spend that much and more on a single guitar....

to the O.P...good luck with it all, hope ya have fun with it....cheers

Old June 5th, 2009, 10:14 PM   #19 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Stefano Barone = one man band...

Old June 5th, 2009, 11:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

this should do the job
xStonr is offline   Reply With Quote