Peavy Wiggy amp - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 15th, 2004, 02:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Peavy Wiggy amp

I found one of these for sale locally, and am infatuated with the looks of the thing. I read some reviews of it at HC and they were quite favorable overall, but others have said that the amp was lousy sounding, which I question because most criticism was second-hand. I played my MIM Telecaster through it and thought it had a decent clean sound. Personally, I like the fact that it has a unique look. The price for this unit is $600, and it's in like-new condition. I see that they can be had for around $800 online, so the used price is not really too bad.

To make a long story short, anyone have some experience or 'feedback' with this amp?

John Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2004, 02:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Re: Peavy Wiggy amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Backlund
I found one of these for sale locally, and am infatuated with the looks of the thing. I read some reviews of it at HC and they were quite favorable overall, but others have said that the amp was lousy sounding, which I question because most criticism was second-hand. I played my MIM Telecaster through it and thought it had a decent clean sound. Personally, I like the fact that it has a unique look. The price for this unit is $600, and it's in like-new condition. I see that they can be had for around $800 online, so the used price is not really too bad.

To make a long story short, anyone have some experience or 'feedback' with this amp?
I've got one at my store and found it to be extremely thin sounding. Oh, it's got bass, but it doesn't sound like it's part of the tone of the amp... I played through it with a Strat, a Tele, and a Schecter with 'buckers, and it just sounded like mosquitos trapped in the cab. It's hard to believe Dweezil Zappa had anything to do with the amp!
GilmourD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2004, 03:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Sadly, I've yet to hear one positive thing about this amp's sound from those who've responded to my questions about it on two separate guitar sites. I think I'll look for something else. Thanks.
John Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 15th, 2004, 08:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Well, if it wounds good to YOU...then to heck with what other people think. If it sounds good to you got for it.
bluescube is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2004, 09:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I saw some video clips of DZ demonstrating one somewhere. Peavey.com(???????)

Anyway, I get the feeling from watching the clips, that it may be the "ugly" sound of the amp that he likes. It's my understanding that he had Peavey make that amp as a replica of some old preamp or something that he's had for years.

Warning: This post may be pretty close to pure speculation.
dhdfoster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2004, 09:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdfoster
I saw some video clips of DZ demonstrating one somewhere. Peavey.com(???????)

Anyway, I get the feeling from watching the clips, that it may be the "ugly" sound of the amp that he likes. It's my understanding that he had Peavey make that amp as a replica of some old preamp or something that he's had for years.

Warning: This post may be pretty close to pure speculation.
I got so used to him trying to be Eddie Van Halen that it just seemed that he went the other way with this amp.
GilmourD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2004, 07:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

It's a tough amp to get a handle on. There are so many forms of boost and EQ on it that it's easy to get it wrong. If you get it try to get a copy of the Wiggy Cookbook. It gives some good settings to help you get started. I'd like to have one simply because they are cool to tinker with, but I have other things I want worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Pickup View Post
'tone is in the underpants'
e-merlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2004, 11:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Run, don't walk...

...away!!!!

One of our local music shops has had it for sale probably below cost for 6 months now - I think the last time I saw it the price was around $300 for the head new and about the same for the cabinet.

It is a horrible sounding amp! No character, no sustain, no punch, no nuthin'! I tried it out for about 45 minutes because of the price and I just did not like it.
hippietim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2004, 06:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Well, I've got one, and I LOVE it! It takes more than 45 minutes to understand this amp. Especially, in a music store setting. I've had mine for almost 2 years now and I'm still finding all kinds of sweet and usable tones it it. It's a great 'clean' amp. Very effects friendly. And you can dial in some nice classic rock tones too. But I do understand those of you who don't 'get it' in a music store. I didn't 'get it' either till I got it home and began to experiment with it. It just takes some time to get an idea of what does what, but once you do, it's easy to dial in the tones you want. I use the Wiggy clean with my Tele and 'dirty' with my humbucker guitars and both sound great. The amp has character and is a great base if you use a lot of effects.
Shnook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2004, 02:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Shnook, can you post some recommended settings with any particular guitar? At that price I'm willing to go try it again.
hippietim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2004, 06:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I sure can. Although, note that the amp is VERY sensitive to pickups. Example, I can take a setting and find a really cool 'rock' tone with my Samick TV 20 which is loaded with Seymour Duncan Blues Trembuckers. Sounds great. Then I can plug in my Wolfgang's with stock pups, and it doesn't sound the same or even nice.
I've found that by using Dweezil's settings to get a 'general' idea, that I can tweak those settings to suit me and what I like. Right now my favorite setting is the Heavy Dupree, but I've dabbled with the EQ and such so it works more for me. I call it, Heavy Dupree Re-Visited.
I use this setting with my TV 20, so it's a humbucker thing. Engage the More function for leads.

More-5.8
RPM-10
Batt-50
Oil- 23 or 24
Boost-100
Temp-100
MPH- the higher the better tone, bad for the neighbors
EQ from left to right 4-6-8-8-7 (adjust to your ear)
Presence- 6
Loose
TD 100%

Here's one of my Tele settings. 'Tele Belly'

More-5
RPM-9.5
Batt-30
Boost-82
Oil-62
Temp-71
MPH-23
EQ- 0-8-3-5-0 (adjust to your ear)
Presence-5
Tight
TD-5

For clean Tele stuff, I generally run a Line 6 DL4 in front of the amp. I use the Tape Echo setting to get a 'vintage' like sound. The Tele I use the most has a NoCaster pup in the bridge, and I've gotten some really nice 'old school' tones with that guitar thru the Wiggy.

The Wiggy is hard to demo in a store. For one, the louder the better. It's one LOUD amp. The RPM's and MPH really play off one another.

If you've found one for a decent price, you can get it and if you don't like it that much, you can always use it as a base to run effects thru. There's a Neutral setting and it's perfect for all kinds of pedals and whatnot.

Please don't hesitate to ask more questions. I dig 'getting Wiggy with it!'

Old March 16th, 2004, 08:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Shnook, you remind me of someone I know from the Peavey Forum. She has a Wiggy, a 5150, a Tele, a Wolfgang. Maybe a TV20 as well.
Quote:

Old March 17th, 2004, 06:30 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

e-merlin, hmmmmm. You know I'm all over the net spreading the Wiggy love!

Old March 17th, 2004, 02:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

That avatar is from Charlie's Angels, isn't it?
Quote:

Old March 17th, 2004, 05:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Close. Try Mike Keneally and Beer for Dolphins. It's a symbol that's found on one or two of their CD's before they changed the name to plain old Mike Keneally Band. If you look closely, you'll see the dolphin snout.

Old March 18th, 2004, 06:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

just an off-topic observation....

both peavey & square D {an electrical manufacturer] claim registered ownership of the name "wiggy".

Sq. D "Wiggy" [a kind of voltage tester] has been around for decades...

I wonder what the truth is...

Old March 18th, 2004, 09:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I've used a Square D Wiggy

for troubleshooting. It has a solenoid that buzzes at 60 HZ when you are testing an AC circuit. From what I can determine the Square D Wiggy is better sounding than the Peavey Wiggy. :D
Synchro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2004, 10:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Re: I've used a Square D Wiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenderR
From what I can determine the Square D Wiggy is better sounding than the Peavey Wiggy. :D
Better watch out! Don't want Shnook to Wiggy out on you. :P
Quote:

Old March 19th, 2004, 06:44 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I'm not gonna comment....I'm not gonna say a word....
8)

All I know is I get some SWEET sounds out of my Wiggy... Give it a chance. It's just misunderstood. :)

Old March 19th, 2004, 12:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

No offense meant;

I just can't pass up a good opportunity for a joke.
Synchro is offline   Reply With Quote