Award Session - Sessionette - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 12th, 2004, 06:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Award Session - Sessionette

Is anyone here familiar with the Sessionette amps? I've had one of the late 1990's LE75 models and have been using the dirty channel exclusively for the last 2 years. I just started toying around with the clean channel and really dig it, more so than the dirty. The clean channel has a real AC-30 sparkle and using the bright switch can nail the "normal channel/TB" sounds.

So here's my question to anyone with an older Sessionette... Does the clean channel compare favorably to an AC-30, or is it a different clean sound?

jz63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2004, 07:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I've heard of these, but have never seen one. Is there anyway that you could post a picture? It's a solid state amp, isn't it?
Paul in Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2004, 08:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

here's a link..

.. to a review in GUITARIST magazine from a few years back.
http://www.guitarist.co.uk/gear/gear_page.asp?ID=280
You're right, it is a solid state amp, but it sounds pretty darn close to a tube amp. In the past I've owned a AC-30, 64 Deluxe Reverb, Silver faced Twin, etc.. and this amp holds it's own.

I got it for 199 when I moved to the U.K. in 2001. I had to sell my amps because there was no way that I could aford to ship them over, plus, no they had no road cases. I thought I would pick up tyhe Sessionette to hold me over until I could get another ac-30 but It's 3 years later and it's thye only amp I have!

The dirty channel is very cool and useable (it can dial in a wicked tweed tone, and a close enough Marshall sound) but the clean will turn your head. It's all how you use the tone controls, particularly the mid, that make the big difference.
jz63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Sponsored by...

Old March 12th, 2004, 08:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Well, I've not got the guitar amp, but I DO have the 4x10" bass combo, and that was a good amp for many years... until it just stopped working in the middle of a rehersal about 3 years ago. It's still sitting in my hall cupboard waiting for a journey to Basingstoke to see the "Creator" of these amps (who still services them!).
Well done on scoring a very nice, practical, and possibly soon to be quite rare combo. :-)

Old March 12th, 2004, 09:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Hello,
I have a Session Sessionette 75, too. Mine is covered in beige tolex. Unfortuately it doesn't worp properly anymore ....

I never played an AC-30 myself, so i cannot compare the Sessionette and the AC 30. IMO the Sessionette clean channel lacked some bass. However I always liked that small amp and used it alot for many years.

ron-fouler: do you (or anyone else here) know how I can get into contact to Mr. Steward Ward who designed these amps? Maybe he could give me some advice as i couldn't find any service here in Germany.

I found some pics in current Ebay-offers:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...category=21763

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...category=46656

Regards,
Klaus
Klaus Kemmerling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2004, 09:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Klaus

Award-Session Servicing
P.O Box 3
Basingstoke Hampshire
RG24 8GB
ENGLAND

Tel: +441256 477222

Info courtesy of www.yell.com :-)

Old March 12th, 2004, 12:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

bump

Old March 12th, 2004, 02:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Hello Ron_Fouler,
thank your for your info. I will try to contact them...

Klaus
Klaus Kemmerling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2005, 11:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Sessionette:75 MKII MOS:FET POWERED beige 1982-1984

Hey guys!
I was looking on the net for information about the 1982-1984 beige sessionette:75 amp. I was given one a while a go from a very generous guy, and since hen i have been told that they're quite rare and could be worth a bit. Its in full working condition just needs the handle on it fixing at one side. I use it for gigs in my band its a very reliable and nice amp. Can anyone give me anymore information on it? To know what its worth would be great. Heres a couple of pictures of it (if my html works, if not a link is provided after it).

http://www.freewebs.com/pariahmusic/...ionette75.html
Any help would be much apreciated.:D
If you have any information could you send it to bandpariah@hotmail.com because i may never be able to find this forum page again lol. cheers!

...JAY...
jasonroyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2005, 12:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Nice looking amp (the in-post HTML doesn't work, btw).
Try Award-Session for info.

Old September 29th, 2005, 06:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Sessionette:75 MKII MOS:FET POWERED beige 1982-1984

Hi, thanks for that but I've already looked on there and not found much at all. Keep me posted if anyone knows anything. cheers.
...JAY...
jasonroyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2005, 10:34 AM   #12 (permalink)
TG
Doctor of Teleocity

I used a Sessionette 90 in the late '90s and it was pretty good for a tranny amp.
But it was still a tranny amp with the not-quite-there tone tranny amps have compared to tube amps.
I haven't tried a recent one, but I doubt they would be any better than the Peavey Transtubes. But I could be wrong.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2009, 03:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

In the mid '80's I was playing with a 4-piece band and we did a lot of country club gigs and hotel gigs. Got tired of hauling my Fender Twin up and down stairs and thru freight elevators and kitchens so, I bought (From Lonestar Guitars in Fort Worth, now defunct, but check out Kerry Cash Guitars-Guru luthier) two Sessionette amps that weighed about 18 lbs each with 10"speakers and around 89 watts. One would do a small room and two a ballroom. Absolutely awesome cleans. Guess they never caught on?! Mine were long lost a long time ago in all the trading but wish I had at least one of em now.
Older'nDirt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2009, 10:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Stewart Ward is a member here, so if you have any techincal questions I'm sure he wouldn't mind a PM. From what I understand he is a very helpful, kind guy who really cares about his products.
emisilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2009, 09:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by emisilly View Post
Stewart Ward is a member here, so if you have any techincal questions I'm sure he wouldn't mind a PM. From what I understand he is a very helpful, kind guy who really cares about his products.

He is a proud creator of a great product.
Award sessions are built very well with
quality components.

I almost bought one last year...

deal in progress was discovered
by the undercover amp police...
lostpick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2010, 07:30 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Fouler View Post
Award-Session Servicing
P.O Box 3
Basingstoke Hampshire
RG24 8GB
ENGLAND

Tel: +441256 477222

Info courtesy of www.yell.com :-)

Hello Gents,

I'd just like to amend the details quoted above, as they are nearly ten years out of date!

Award-Session
34 Belvedere
Basingstoke
RG24 8GB

Tel: +44 (0)1256 477 222
Email: info@award-session.com

If you need old amp schematics, they're on our website under MANUALS.
www.Award-Session.com Many spares are still available. I sold SESSION in 1988, sadly some of the schematics have been lost. If it's not on the website... I don't have it! I do have at least one sample of each model.

Our insurers will not allow us to give advice to musicians regarding DIY amp fixing. So I regret I cannot give specific help regarding anything on the inside of the amps. General info, yes. But please do not ask about your specific amp, because, well, there's nothing to tell you other than it's a guitar amp! I do not have access to serial number records, so I can't date your amp... but the date will be on the chassis inside anyway.

Between 1981 and 1988, the Sessionette:75 was our biggest selling guitar amp. We made just over 55,000 (not me personally - I had 35 staff and a 10,000 sq ft factory). The Rockette:30 was the second biggest seller at just over 33,000 units.

There were also:
Guitar Amps: SG2100 (250W Stereo Head & Combos), Rockette:20 (1x10), Duette:112 (60W), Duette:110 (30), Rockette Guitar:110 (15W),

Bass Amps: Sessionette Bass Compact:100 in 1 x12, 1x15, 1 x 15+Horn, 4x10 & Rockette Bass:110 (15W),

Keyboard Amps: Rockette Linear:15

Most other info is available on the HISTORY page of our website. We have a new website under construction, So much will change and some info might be discontinued depending on space requirements.

I don't have any particular affection for the old amps. I was making a living, you understand. The Sessionette:75 was used by loads of top players, but they didn't talk much of them - probably because they were SS amps. Dave Stewart (Eurythmics) used his three on nearly all the main hits, EC used a pair of Rockette:30s on his 'August' album, Brian May had one, so did Dave Gilmore as his 'pub' amp, Roy Buchanan had one to take as 'hand luggage' and heaps of others.

The solo on Billy Ocean's 'Lover Boy' was recorded on a pair of early prototypes by Geoff Whitehorn.

The popularity quickly ramped up and I had to find a factory! It was the ideal product at just the right time and made all the right noises back then. But it's not a 2010 sounding amp... unless you like the Blues Deluxe kinda sound with the EQ pre distortion. The Sessionette is NOT a rock amp... it's more old school 'living on the edge' kind of sounding. Deep distortion was not it's forte. In fact, it can sound quite ugly when used that way... as can the BD too. Their circuitry is quite similar in layout - but one SS and the other tube. The Sessionette predates the BD by some thirteen year!

Hartley Peavey registered the SESSION name in USA in June 1986. So we could not sell amps there. But we did sell some under the 'Steward' brand name.

I don't mean to sound grouchy, but I have to be honest! I do not currently make amplifiers of any type. I do not have any 'bits left over to make any.' I do not know where you can find used amps, apart from eBay!

I am a working musician (three bands), also helpful and caring about my products, but time constraints mean I cannot invest time in chats about old products. I, like most of you guys, have a mortgage to pay, so must concentrate on the products I am currently involved with.

I don't want this communication to be seen as an advert... it's just points of interest and getting you up to date with contact details.

Thanks for all the kind comments... keep it coming boys... I LOVE IT!
Stewart Ward is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2010, 07:37 AM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz63 View Post
Is anyone here familiar with the Sessionette amps? I've had one of the late 1990's LE75 models and have been using the dirty channel exclusively for the last 2 years. I just started toying around with the clean channel and really dig it, more so than the dirty. The clean channel has a real AC-30 sparkle and using the bright switch can nail the "normal channel/TB" sounds.

So here's my question to anyone with an older Sessionette... Does the clean channel compare favorably to an AC-30, or is it a different clean sound?
To my ears the clean-channel is more Fender-sounding.
Altough I'm 111% into tube amps I really like the Sessionettes as good/great solid state amps. A club in my erea does have a couple of "vague" amps, also higher wattage but I prefer the Sessionette when jamming over there when not having my own amps around...
Chris Winsemius is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2010, 09:28 AM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I had a Rockette for a bit and would definitely pick up a sessionette or Rockette if I got a good price on one.

terrific sounds whether you rate them against SS or valve IMO.

http://www.facebook.com/bluesr
Steve G is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2010, 09:45 AM   #19 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

A friend is looking for a SS amp that would take a GT3 FX pedal well do you think say a rockette 30 would do the job?
Dr Fene is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2010, 11:00 AM   #20 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Telefied

Stewart, I always dig it when you post! like a breath of fresh air! I still love my JD10! some great stuff Sir!