The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 1st, 2004, 12:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

whats a good blues amp??

ive been recentlylooking for a blues amp preferably something with 10's. i was looking for something around 60 to100 watts either tube or solid state. any suggestions ???????? how r voxs? i was thinking about them too thanks alot talk to you later thanks in advance!!!!!1

webster

hey everyone im 16 and i live in nj. anyone else live in nj? if so contact me. i love the blues and i love my tele. i play a 69 thinline with joe bardens pickups i also gotta strat that i customized myself and a custom 24 PRS
webster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2004, 12:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Holland

Little Jimi; 50 Watts, 6L6's, 1 X 12" Celestion Vintage....Groovy
TwinReverb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2004, 12:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
JDO
Tele-Holic

good to see you back webster. did you ever get a chance to try out any of the amps that were suggested to you last time?

one thing to think about - when i think of blues players i think of an overdriven amp. unless you're playing some pretty large places, you're not going to be able to crank a 60-100 watt amp.

if money were no option and i wanted new then i would go with the new tweed twin that fender will be coming out with. or the vicky double deluxe. i think both would be plenty loud and would give a great tone.

to help us out, what sort of bluesy tone are you looking for? there's b.b.'s that's pretty clean, there's srv that's cranked blackface tone, etc. and does money have anything to do with your decision?

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 1st, 2004, 01:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mik
Tele-Afflicted

Blackface Super Reverb:
1. plenty of power 40 watts
2. tube rectifier (I prefer the sag of a 5U4GB tube).
3. As you require: four 10 inch speakers.
4. Great tone for blues styles (and other styles, the SR is very versatile) from clean to overdrive.
5. SRV used BFSR's, Tommy Castro plays a BFSR, I've seen BFSRs played all day onstage at blues festivals-with Teles, Strats, LPs, ES335s...
6. And last: single coil, humbucker, any output level pickups sound great through a BFSR, and the amp accomodates effects pedals well.
7. OK one more thing: the REVERB!!

go out find one play it let us know,
Mik

Old March 1st, 2004, 01:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Super Reverb

I'd be willing to wager Fender's IMO best blues bar amp.
Prolly more Supers on more stages in more clubs on any given night.

Killer amp, moves alot of air, big round tone.
blue floral is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2004, 02:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Formerly known as Eryque
Doctor of Teleocity

Yep, that term "bluesy" covers too much territory for us to give you any specific help. All of the amps that were suggested last time you asked would work well in a blues context. Can you give us some examples of songs that have the tone you're looking for?

Also, keep in mind that a lot of times the rhythm parts on a record are done with a separate rig from the leads, so a setup that will give you one sound might not get the other for you.

Your tag line says that you're a Clapton fan, his current rig is a HIGHLY modified Tweed Twin that he cranks. I think that unless you were playing an awfully big club, cranking an amp like that would be far too much volume. So is cranking a Tweed Bassman or Super Reverb. You'll probably be operating these amps with the volume set at about 60-70% to get the right volume level.

Also, let us know what price you're looking at.
KokoTele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2004, 02:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

da bloooz

As others have said, it really depends on the type of blues you are playing and the size of the rooms. A Twin Reverb Reissue is 85 watts of clean Fender tone... if you play that loud enough to get it dirty, you're gonna blow out some windows.

Many folks love a Deluxe Reverb (preferably a BF or SF over the reissue) for blues as at 22 watts, you can crank 'em to get that great power tube overdrive without going deaf. Even for bigger rooms... just mic it.

I have an Ampeg Reverberocket ('64, 18 watts, 1x12 combo) that sounds great cranked up with my hollowbody Kay with P-90s. I also have a fantastic Pro Reverb (SF, '73, blackfaced inside)... it's a 2x12 combo that gives me around 35-40 watts with 2 6L6GC power tubes. It tends to stay pretty clean, and is cool for the Ronnie Earl clean strat tone. However, after playing a Holland Little Jimi last weekend at a gig, I'm thinking of selling it so I can buy something that gets dirtier at a lower volume.

Supers are great all around amps. They tend to overdrive quicker than the Pro Reverb or Bandmaster, which is why lots of blues guys like them. 4x10 combo with reverb ain't all that portable, though. The Holland I referred to is a 1x12 35 watt combo (the one I played had a non-standard Celestion speaker). Killer amp... cut through the mix really well. We were playing a medium sized room and I didn't need to mic it.
Jim L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2004, 03:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

a 59' Bassman, best blues amp ever.

Old March 1st, 2004, 03:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Webster

you got a '69 Thinline with Bardens, see if you can get a
Sliverface Deluxe Reverb. And buy yourself a Shure SM57 Mic for when you get on the really big stages or
outdoor venues. That's really all you'll ever need.
if you HAVE to go with 10's:
Princeton
Vibrolux
Tremolux
Super
Super Reverb
Bassman 10
Tweed Bassman
'63 Vibroverb
Concert 4X10
Concert 2X10

Old March 1st, 2004, 05:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Super Reverb (non-master, non-reissue) would be king (by a wide margin IMO) for cleanish blues.
Tim Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2004, 06:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

you're in new jersey? me too.

i have a super reverb that is almost certainly going to be put up for sale. contact me offline if you want... mark@carlsonamps.com. it's 100% stable, but some cosmetic issues {all fully repaired} will result in a *big discount*

drop me a line

Old March 1st, 2004, 06:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

blues amp

You could use any amp that you like the tone.Listen to Hendrix play Red House.Marshall,and some pedals.SRV,Fenders,Marshall,Dumple,pedals.Find an amp that suits your taste.I only wish when I was your age I was getting into blues.Thats another story.Some blues guys just plug right into thier amp,crank it up and use the volume control on the guitar.The guys on this board know what they are talking about,great advice for sure.I like to plug right into the amp.A tweed deluxe is a cool amp for playin blues,thats what is use.Lately Its been a Victoria Bassman with an weber mass A lot of tones with a tele and jumping channels.It took me a long time and a lot of money to find out what I like.This thread is great.
blues is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2004, 06:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

what do u think about this???

thanks alot for all of you advice....i forgot to tell you that i have a princeton 65 and i like the tone i get out of it. i also have a marshall stack that was given to me as gift from my neighbors because they were moving and they didnt want it anymore so he gave it to me because i always used to play wit him and help him out wit his landscape and around the house.. i was thinking of buying an a\b switch and then just switching them because i really like the lead tone i get out of my princeton 65 and maybe i would by another one and have the 2 princetons on A and put the marshall on B. any opinions ???? the rhythm tone out of them marshall is nice..its a jcm 2000 dsl 100 head and a 1960a cab its a really nice amp.... also im kinda lookin for an SRV \ warren haynes kinda thing thats y i think that if i A\B them that it would work out. if u guys didnt know im still in high school im 16. so im not playing any where big right now. what do u think about the A\B switch i think that it would sound awesome.......... tell me what u think.and by the way money isnt really an option i gotta a good paying job and ive been working for a while so im just looking for my best options with what i already got. buying another princeton 65 wouldn't be a problem...........thanks in advance for the advice talk to everyone one soon...

webster
hey everyone im 16 and i live in nj. anyone else live in nj? if so contact me. i love the blues and i love my tele. i play a 69 thinline with joe bardens pickups i also gotta strat that i customized myself and a custom 24 PRS
webster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2004, 06:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
KC
Friend of Leo's

bassman

get yrself a silverface bassman and wire that 1960a cab for 4 ohms and away you go. put a box in front of it for grind -- the nobels if you're broke, the klon if you're flush.
KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2004, 09:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned
Friend of Leo's

As was previously stated, the "best" amp would depend on the particular style of blues you play. If you play blues-metal like Gary Moore, a Marshall would work. If you're an endless noodler like Walter Trout, a Mesa. If you play acid rock blues like Hendrix, again a Marshall with pedals. If you overplay in your face Texas style like SRV, then a combination of BF Fenders and Dumbles, etc....

Most guys I listen to play either a tweed or BF era Fender, and plug straight in. Traditional style.
Tremo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2004, 10:49 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Whats a good blues amp? . . .

Quote:
Most guys I listen to play either a tweed or BF era Fender, and plug straight in. Traditional style.
  • YEP!
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2004, 01:57 AM   #17 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Traynor

I have the YCV40 and it is a great blues amp for my G&L thinline classic. Mine is the 1x12, but the YCV40T has two tens. 40 watts, fender like clean and sweet overdrive channel. 2 year "you break we fix it warrenty" and quiet.

here's mine

http://www.squeegy.org/tray_asat06.jpg
madbanjoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2004, 02:46 AM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

thats one heck of a beautiful guitar you have there. congrats. i love g&ls.
ramblinmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2004, 01:48 AM   #19 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thanks,

It plays as nice as it looks as well. I love G&Ls. I own three of them. the ASAT thinline classic, a S500 and an ASAT bass. All wonderful instruments.
madbanjoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2004, 01:43 PM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik
Blackface Super Reverb:
1. plenty of power 40 watts
2. tube rectifier (I prefer the sag of a 5U4GB tube).
3. As you require: four 10 inch speakers.
4. Great tone for blues styles (and other styles, the SR is very versatile) from clean to overdrive.
5. SRV used BFSR's, Tommy Castro plays a BFSR, I've seen BFSRs played all day onstage at blues festivals-with Teles, Strats, LPs, ES335s...
6. And last: single coil, humbucker, any output level pickups sound great through a BFSR, and the amp accomodates effects pedals well.
7. OK one more thing: the REVERB!!

go out find one play it let us know,
Mik
And don't turn your nose up at the Silverface Super Reverbs either - if you can find a non-master one (I have a '74), you'll get a great sounding amp for a lot less than a Blackface. You can also mod it to Blackface wiring if you want (I haven't found the need).
genelovesjez is offline   Reply With Quote