Fender solid state, twin reverb sr2100 - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 12th, 2009, 12:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Fender solid state, twin reverb sr2100

Hello. i have a old old Fender Solid State series, Twin Reverb SR2100. It has 2 12' speakers mounted verticle, one over the other. So it stands tall and thin. Silver face. two rows of knobs. Anyways, i cant seem to find another one like it anywhere online. Seen a few pics of one like it on some old advertisements from the 60 when they were selling them. My dad picked it up for 300 bucks when i was kid, which was back in the 90's since im only 24 lol. But im wondering if anybody knows what this old amp is worth now??? i believe they stoped the solid state seriose back in 69. anybody have any ideas how rare this thing is and what its worth?

JohnnyRebKy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2009, 07:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Years ago a guy at church asked if I could have a look at his "Fender Twin" to see if I could get it to work. I was dumbfounded when he brought it over; I barely remembered seeing these SS things in their day. I plugged it in and it made a little faint noise for a few minutes but then the unmistakable smell of electrons in hell filled the room. I pulled the chassis and saw what has to be the Mother of all design flaws. The rear panel RCA jacks (footswitch? can't really remember) were mounted on a very flimsy phenolic plate right next to the power transistors. When that plate inevitably broke the RCA jack terminals went right into those transistor lugs, grounding them out and blowing them instantly, no doubt taking at least part of the power supply along. Could hardly believe a major company like Fender would do something so stupid, but there it was. Without knowing the history of these bombs I wondered if CBS had actually commissioned some cheapo (Japanese?) stereo factory to design & build these and then stuck the Fender name on them. Flaws like these probably explain why so few exist anymore.

I told my friend it wasn't worth fixing, but a collector (as opposed to a player) might want it to display as a curiosity.
wabashslim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2009, 11:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Im not really sure what your talking about. But this old SS Twin Reverb i have is in mint condition.........and plays very well i might add ! And no this amp is not japanese, it displays on the back " MADE IN USA" california to be enzact. Ive had this amp since i was a kid and never had a problem with it seeing how it is all original, including speakers. and ive had it turned up wide open quite a few times lol.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 26th, 2009, 11:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

JohnnyReb

You can read about that cool amp o' yours at this link:
http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/fender68p40.php

Let me know if it works for you, hoss.

Last edited by Chris S.; January 27th, 2009 at 01:55 AM.
strat a various is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2009, 12:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Johnny
Here's a nuther ... http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/fenderSSTwinReverb.php

(Mod. edit -- both posts. I removed the quotation marks [" "] in order to make the links active. - CS)

Last edited by Chris S.; January 27th, 2009 at 01:57 AM.
strat a various is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2009, 03:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

J-Reb
The Fender SS amps were here and gone in a flash.I've never seen a SS Twin in person.You might check Gbase.com and see if there's one there.I have no idea what it's worth on the market,but a SS Twin has to be as rare as it gets.I'd absolutely hang on to it.
Dave Hopping is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2009, 11:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thanks guys. i clicked that link and its a pic of the enzact amp i have. And it still looks as good as that one. its near mint condition with exception of a scratch on the vinel ( pardon my spelling). However the links dont really have much information on them. but its as good as it gets. Researching this amp is like digging for dinasaur bones lol. And yea people say hang on to it, but id really rather sell it and get something that suits me better. i mean the amp sounds great! but it just dont have the bells and whistles on it to get the diff tones.

Old January 29th, 2009, 07:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Read a mention of these amps in "Amps: The Other Half of Rock N' Roll" By Ritchie Fligler.

It has a paragraph about this exact amp you have in it, and pretty much says what the guys on this forum have said...its nostalegia value is pretty much all that its worth.

There is also a good section on them in "The Soul of Tone" by Tom Weller, currently out.

These amps were made at a time when solid state technology was brand new, and still being experimented with. Morale was low in part due to the new buy out of fender by CBS, and the designs were produced by workers in some cases not 100% familiar with the new techniques being used (such as flow solder machines). Thousands of amps were sent back to fender after blowing up or being assembled wrong and THEN blowing up (electrical components in backwards, etc) just like what wabashslim mentioned.

The line of amps was a huge flop due to this and several other reasons (IE: CBS officials NOT listening to the amp designers who ironicaly quit and went on to create rickenbaker transonic amps).

They were discontinued very quickly. It IS rare, but not really worth all that much
umasstele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2009, 05:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Yea that seems to be the story thus far. Ive heard a few horror stories now about these amps. But hell ive been jamming on it since i was a kid with zero problems lol. i just thought considering the extreme rarity of it, it would be worth a little bit to somebody. i dont mean no 5 grand or nothing............but its gotta be worth more than 100 bucks lol.