Fender super amp - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 7th, 2009, 10:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Fender super amp

My brother gave me a 60 watt 1993 fender super amp for Christmas, he said he found it at a garage sale. Its in excellent condition and sounds pretty good to my nonexpert ear. Why is there so little information available on this particular amp? It has 4x10 blue speakers and a 3 button foot switch.
Any coments or information would be appreciated.

Thanks Aircat

aircat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2009, 10:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Four words: Fender Amp Field Guide.

Is it this guy?
mgwhit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2009, 10:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Yes that's it. I wonder how much information the field guid will have on that one???

thanks
Aircat
aircat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 7th, 2009, 11:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Hi Aircat. I own one of these. I think this is one of those sleeper amps. Great amp that kinda got pass a lot of people. The Super is supposed to be based on the Tweed Bassman circuit. The speakers are Fender Blue Frame Alnicos. Its a 65watt amp and is loud. Mine starts to breakup a little around 5-6. But its almost ear shattering by that time. I pulled the preamp tubes and put in some Tung-sols. I pulled the speakers and replaced with 2Jensen C10Qs and 2Jensen P10Rs and I love everything about it but the weight even though the Jensens lightens up a bit. It uses 2 Sovtek 5881 power tubes which I will also replace soon. But it is a very nice amp, built strong and no loud hiss or pop. I also put castors on mine. Its sort of a cross between a Bassman and a Super Reverb. Also Harmony Central have a lot of reviews posted on these.
lioncommandking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2009, 12:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I'll take it if you decide you don't like it.

Old January 18th, 2009, 01:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Just for clairfication, I performed in a rock band (Henchmen) with a Fender Super Amp in the early '60's. It had tremelo, was loud and clean. Great Stones covers amp. Talk about rare...I almost never hear of anyone owning the one I had (no longer to be found, after all it was "just an amp.")

When people speak of a Fender Super amp, usually they are talking about the one you have.

Then there is also the narrow panel Fender Super amp that I now own built by Victoria (35210).

Old January 21st, 2009, 05:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I think there has been several Supers over the years. This current one is of the Fender Pro Tube series around 1993. That narrow panel is nice. Does it sound similar to your earlier Super?

Old January 24th, 2009, 12:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

It is amazing

I just got one of these 93 super amps, and love it. I was looking for a deal on a super reverb, but just couldn't spend that kind of money. After hearing what this amp can do I am glad I found it. It sounds much thicker than the super reverb reissues, and cost just under half.

I would like to know if it is fixed or adjustable bias, as I need to retube soon. If anybody know that would be great.
union_agenda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2009, 02:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Super Amp

I think it's fixed/adjustable.Google the Fender Amp Field Guide. What kind of tubes are ya going to try?

Last edited by lioncommandking; January 25th, 2009 at 02:50 AM. Reason: forgot a suggestion

Old January 26th, 2009, 02:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I am going to try the JJ 6l6. What tubes do you suggest, since I haven't purchased them yet I still have options? Also 'fixed/adjustable' i thought that an amp is either fixed or is adjustable, not both. If it is fixed i should not have to bias the amp with new tubes but if it is not fixed I do have to right? I could be wrong about it all, so do let me know if I am.

Old January 26th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by union_agenda View Post
I am going to try the JJ 6l6. What tubes do you suggest, since I haven't purchased them yet I still have options? Also 'fixed/adjustable' i thought that an amp is either fixed or is adjustable, not both. If it is fixed i should not have to bias the amp with new tubes but if it is not fixed I do have to right? I could be wrong about it all, so do let me know if I am.
I hope I can explain this clearly without making any glaring errors (I'm not an expert).

Fixed Bias does not mean the bias can't change, it means the bias is preset. If you change the value of the applicable resistors, you change the bias. On many amps, this means opening up the chassis and physically replacing resistors. Others have a variable resistor and test points to measure the bias. Opinions on the need to bias an amp when replacing power tubes are varied. As long as nothing is out of whack with the amp or the new tubes, you probably don't need to bias, but it is quite possible that biasing will allow you to get the most out of your tubes while ensuring that you protect your tubes and amp from damage.

For the record, I own a fixed bias amp (Fender PRII), and I was in the "no need to bias" camp. Out of curiosity I checked the bias when I had the chassis out for mods, and found it to be biased a fair bit on the cold side with either the original tubes or the EH replacement tubes. Now that the bias is a bit hotter, I find that it pushes the power amp a bit harder, and sounds better as a result.

Hope this helps!

Old January 26th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Great explanation on biasing! I think the 1993 Super has the variable resistor rather a bias pot. I have not changed the tubes in mine. I do know that Sovtek 5881s are in it, and I am actually as I write this toying with the idea of ordering some TAD 6l6wgb STR from Doug's Tubes. I do however hear good things about them JJs!

Old January 26th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I'm sorry, I meant TAD6L6WGC STR at Doug's tubes.

Old January 27th, 2009, 08:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thanks for the insight. I guess I'll just try a retube and if my ears do not like it I will take it in and get a bias pot installed (not too expensive I hope).

Old January 29th, 2009, 07:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Please post again and let us know your opinion of the JJ tubes in this amp!.

Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:37 AM   #16 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Super Bias

I don't believe the '93 Super has a bias adjust pot, so, yes it can be described as "fixed/adjustable".

Also, AFAIK, this particular "Super" model (i.e. '93-'94 vintage) is also branded as the "Concert Reverb" model.

J-75
J-75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Well, its been a while. I finally retubed with JJ's and it sounds less sweet and more rock. It used to have mostly GT tubes preamp and Svetlana 6L6's, and had a warmer sound, but just a bit thinner. The new JJ tubes are sounding much more agressive, which is not a bad thing or a good thing it is just different. Still I love the sound of this amp, very clean, yet slight comression (from the alnico speakers I think) with great reverb. Heavy but worth it.

Old December 21st, 2012, 11:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

I currently have the JJs with Fender Super amp Re-issue and a MiM Maple neck tele with Fender Noiseless pick-ups and generally play clean through a vintage Vox wah. I like the tone a lot for reggae / funk / worldbeat / "old school" hip-hop (and often get compliments on the sound) which is what my band plays. Not so great for rockin' out. Would have to rethink the whole set-up if I decided to go this route.
ONEoverZERO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2012, 01:46 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

AFAIK.. The 93' Super IS the Concert amp with the exception of different speakers.
Timbertea is offline   Reply With Quote