How do you re-tolex an amp? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old November 26th, 2008, 02:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

How do you re-tolex an amp?

is it a difficult thing to do or to have done? just wondering cuz i ordered an amp in at the store and for some dumb reason they didn't get the color combination right. It's not a big deal to me, it was purely an aesthetic thing (i'm more interested in the tone). I wanted the body to be red and the front panel blonde, but instead they just made it all red.

also they put the wrong grill cloth color on it, lol. like i said, its an insignificant thing for the overall purpose of the amp, but i was just wondering if its hard to maybe perform a DIY tolex job.

Thanks,
Joel

Old November 26th, 2008, 10:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I tried one myself and really did not do avery good job on it, but that was just me, took it to an automotive upholstery shop and had them redo it for me and it looked as good or maybe better than a factory job, cost me around $100
jwj4856 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2008, 05:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

its a PIA getting it off once its stuck down so thats the biggest part of the job
get over it man theres really quite a bit of work involved

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old November 26th, 2008, 08:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Good Grief -
Yes it is hard to do properly. Have you ever tried to hang vinyl at home? Walls are pretty straight and square. Amps are odd shapes with returns, reveals, corners, radius', etc. etc. Plus you would have to remove the existing material first.
But all that is a moot point. If you ordered an amp with custom color vinyl and grill cloth, and it came with the wrong color scheme; why don't you just have the seller fix it?
backline is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2008, 09:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Here's some good info.
http://adlibmusic.net/Tolex/index.htm
Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2008, 11:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

this is the guide I used and had ok results.
I did the sides first then the top and bottom.. otherwise it was too rushed/messy.
the part he DOESNT talk about .. getting the curves right on a) the back panel cutouts and/or b)the cutout on the top of a tweed style amp.
I got it finally but it was error and trial

Old November 26th, 2008, 11:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by backline View Post
Good Grief -
Yes it is hard to do properly. Have you ever tried to hang vinyl at home? Walls are pretty straight and square. Amps are odd shapes with returns, reveals, corners, radius', etc. etc. Plus you would have to remove the existing material first.
But all that is a moot point. If you ordered an amp with custom color vinyl and grill cloth, and it came with the wrong color scheme; why don't you just have the seller fix it?
I understand. But like i said before, the colors are really quite insignificant to me. its the sound i'm after. I just wanted to know if it was a difficult thing or not to re-tolex an amp. since it obviously is, then its not worth the effort for me to even look into it (at least until this tolex wears out a bit).

As for sending back to the seller, that's not worth it either. I waited 4 months for this amp after i ordered it in and i'm not about to ship it off again for something as unimportant as a re-tolex job.

anyways, thanks for the input, much appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
Thanks man, this is a cool site. i like watching projects get put together piece by piece by guys who know what they're doing. real interesting

cheers,
Joel