The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old November 1st, 2008, 07:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Got a G-DEC today....

.....LOVE it. Not the most toneful amp on the planet, but it does fine for what it is. Good sounds, great patches, good all around practice too.

I would have gotten the Line 6 Spider Jam, but it's too big for my purposes. The G-DEC is the same basic idea in a smaller footprint, so it was better for me.

JDaveG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2008, 07:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Which one did you get? I've been thinking along the same lines.
pchilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2008, 07:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchilson View Post
Which one did you get? I've been thinking along the same lines.
Just the plain jane G-DEC (not the Junior, not the 30). Here's a pic.

[IMG][/IMG]

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old November 1st, 2008, 07:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I have a 30. Love it too! Mojotron pretty much nails the amps capabilities with his posts in this thread. Be sure to read the entire thread because he posts again after three months of use.
brownshoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2008, 04:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Another 30 user, and lovin' it! I'm looking forward to getting a MIDI interface and unlock the rest of its potential.

Old November 2nd, 2008, 05:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I was trying to decide between these or the Line6 Jam Man. Line6 sure likes money...
I would like to try the G-DEC 30 on for size. Do you guys find yourseleves getting lost in it jamming along looking up to find you've been at it a couple hours?
pchilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2008, 12:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchilson View Post
I was trying to decide between these or the Line6 Jam Man. Line6 sure likes money...
I would like to try the G-DEC 30 on for size. Do you guys find yourseleves getting lost in it jamming along looking up to find you've been at it a couple hours?
I don't know about "lost" -- I KNOW I'm spending a lot of time with it

As for the Line 6 Spider Jam, that is a GREAT amp. It's just too big for my use. I needed a small, portable practice amp. The Line 6 is a hog. Sounds fantastic though, and probably a lot more versatile than the G-DEC.

Old November 3rd, 2008, 10:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I wired my plain GDEC w/ a speaker out jack w/ a switch to go back and forth. I'm now able to hook it up to an 4x12 cab. At level 3 this amp is loud and the full tones from the settings are revealed. I had previously swapped out the stock Chinese speaker w/ a Jensen Mod speaker as suggested from another website but it still sounded like crap. Removing the back panel did help though. The amp seriously needs at least a 12 inch speaker to fully enjoy it. Some have hooked it up to their home stereo using their hifi speakers for good success.

I was thinking of building a cab for it and just making it a head. The chassis is pretty small and would definitely blow people away once you hooked it up to a cab and the setting you like.

I'd like to eventually move up to the Jam but it's more than I care to spend. Mainly for it's built in looper which has a lot more recording time vs the Gdec and for the better jam tracks. I hear they've modified the software to allow changing keys like the Gdec. That's a major upgrade cause that to me was one of the best features of the Gdec.
dqami is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2008, 12:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I, too, was thinking about ditching the stock speaker and opening up the back. The back I'll definitely do. I've decided just to run it to a 12" speaker cab I've already got with a Screamin Eagle in it. I'm building another cab, so soon it'll have its own, with the stock 12" that came with my Blues Jr. I very much agree that this amp sounds best with a 12. I'm surprised Fender didn't go with one, but then the end price would no doubt have been less attractive. Still, it's a great amp that only needs a speaker/cab tweak to get it in the zone.

Old November 3rd, 2008, 12:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I've found a lot of good info regarding G-dec tools, midi, speaker changes, presets, etc at http://mygdec.com/index.php.

Old November 3rd, 2008, 02:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

G-Dec 30 here and get a lot of use out of it!
Hooked up the MIDI for backing tracks and enjoy that a lot as well.
Legba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2008, 03:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I guess Fender kept the 8inch speaker to keep it light for beginners as it is the perfect amp for a beginner. "Real players" move up to the 30 or their other amps.
dqami is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2008, 04:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDaveG View Post
.....LOVE it. Not the most toneful amp on the planet, but it does fine for what it is. Good sounds, great patches, good all around practice too.

I would have gotten the Line 6 Spider Jam, but it's too big for my purposes. The G-DEC is the same basic idea in a smaller footprint, so it was better for me.
I love mine, too. It's a fantastic practice tool, and it's just plain fun to play around with.

I also contemplated the Spider Jam, but in addition to being a little big for my purposes you also can't change the key without changing the tempo (and vice versa).

--
Mark
Lathem is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2009, 01:26 AM   #14 (permalink)
2014 BUILD CHALLENGER
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownshoe View Post
I have a 30. Love it too! Mojotron pretty much nails the amps capabilities with his posts in this thread. Be sure to read the entire thread because he posts again after three months of use.
Hey brownshoe - it's interesting to see a post I made way over there in Parker-land referenced here in Tele-land. I think they are a couple of great forums.

I think I have used every feature and setting on my GDEC30 now - after 7 months I'm still impressed with it. The backing tracks and presets are what they are, but the backing tracks are great for practice/timing and song writing - that's the only week point of this amp. It's a great modeling amp, has very nice effects: I was looking for a small practice amp where all I needed was a cord with the ability to use a decent cab if I wanted to play with a drummer - and that's exactly what I found in this amp.

I'm very happy with it because even after decades of playing - I do practice more now with this amp and I get a lot more done when I do. One thing I really like to do is to take a tough track - like a Mason lick - slow it way down and record it into the loop on the GDEC so that I can play along with it - it's an amazing tool for that sort of thing.

With my JamMan and DL4 hooked up to it I do kind of get 'lost' while jamming - after a couple of hours I am usually am lost and off in to some esoteric weeds making whale sounds in 5/8 time :)

Last edited by Mojotron; January 30th, 2009 at 02:08 AM.
Mojotron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2009, 07:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojotron View Post
I think I have used every feature and setting on my GDEC30 now - after 7 months I'm still impressed with it. The backing tracks and presets are what they are, but the backing tracks are great for practice/timing and song writing - that's the only week point of this amp. It's a great modeling amp, has very nice effects: I was looking for a small practice amp where all I needed was a cord with the ability to use a decent cab if I wanted to play with a drummer - and that's exactly what I found in this amp.

I'm very happy with it because even after decades of playing - I do practice more now with this amp and I get a lot more done when I do. One thing I really like to do is to take a tough track - like a Mason lick - slow it way down and record it into the loop on the GDEC so that I can play along with it - it's an amazing tool for that sort of thing.

With my JamMan and DL4 hooked up to it I do kind of get 'lost' while jamming - after a couple of hours I am usually am lost and off in to some esoteric weeds making whale sounds in 5/8 time :)
Whoa! Just saw this reply. Welcome Mojotron!! Yeah man, your post over at the parker forum was great and really put my head in the right place about this amp.

My gdec is as important to me as any amp I own, including my PRRI's. Lately, I've liked running my pedals and gt10 into the front of the gdec for even more capabilities and it sounds really good too.

Glad to see you here!

Old January 30th, 2009, 11:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
2014 BUILD CHALLENGER
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownshoe View Post
Glad to see you here!
Glad to be here - I wish I found this place a long time ago!
Mojotron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2009, 12:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I bought the 30 a few weeks ago and also LOVE it. It is NOT a toy for beginners--I've been playing since the 70's, owned lots of great amps, and this is the ONE for home playing. Sounds great stock, but even better through the 1x10 cab pictured in my avatar, with Emi Ramrod.

It is impossible to plug in and not play for at least an hour, and that kind of motivational factor just can't be reached with a standard amp (for me, anyway), no matter how great the tone.

Go to the mygdec site, register, and download the excel sheet of 300 patches, then start fiddling. You'll find some killer sounds.

My faves so far are the "Country Twang" posted by "viki" for cleans and the Eric Johnson dirty patch on the Fender website.

Add your faves here!!

http://www.youtube.com/Hoodrio
Hoodster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2009, 12:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodster View Post
I bought the 30 a few weeks ago and also LOVE it. It is NOT a toy for beginners--I've been playing since the 70's, owned lots of great amps, and this is the ONE for home playing.
Agreed. Nor do I consider it a "practice" amp. Great for recording and the stereo outs are a plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodster View Post
My faves so far are the "Country Twang" posted by "viki" for cleans and the Eric Johnson dirty patch on the Fender website.
Yep, I like the EJ patch. Also like the Keef (from mygdec) patch a lot. I've actually loaded about 35 patches off the spreadsheet. I also have a couple of "clean" patches for pedals and whatnot.

Old January 31st, 2009, 03:34 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Just read mojo's comments in the other thread--agree 100% that the key is to take the presets, dump 90% of the cheesy effect levels, add the reverb you like, maybe eq a bit, and you have some FINE sounds, esp. BF, Tweed, and Brit.

I'm still looking for a great AC30 emulation--if anyone can provide settings, I'd be much obliged.

http://www.youtube.com/Hoodrio
Hoodster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2009, 10:36 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I bought my daughter a G-DEC for her b-day last Oct. & we've had blast with it. It's a great practice tool and doesn't sound bad for a small amp.
chadp is offline   Reply With Quote