Vibrolux Tube Swap - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old October 30th, 2008, 10:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Vibrolux Tube Swap

Hello all, just joined and want to thank everyone for such an informative place for twangers!
Just recently traded a Blues Junior for a CVR and I'm in love, hiss and all! Not ready to ditch the Jensens just yet but a preamp tube swap is certainly in the cards. It's got the original Fender/GT/Sovteks. I'm looking to go with new production tubes, except the PI and Reverb drivers where NOS AT7's aren't so expensive. I've looked around in here and elsewhere and see that the new Tung Sol's are pretty highly regarded, but haven't seen any comparisons to the Mullard reissues. Anyone heard both and have informed opinions about them? Thanks in advance.

Perchman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2008, 10:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

welcome, Perchman!

both of those are pretty great from what I've heard.
I wouldn't rule out a set of JJs, either, if I were you.

check out these two sources for additional info!

www.kcanostubes.com
www.eurotubes.com

we all shine on, like the moon and the stars and the sun.
JimiBryant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2008, 10:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thanks Jimi. I've read that the JJ ECC83 is kind of dark and "lifeless" but the 803s is a different (better) critter. But, I've also read that the 803s is a higher gain tube which I'm not really looking for. Any experience with these?
Perchman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old October 30th, 2008, 11:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

nope, no personal experience.

the thing about tubes is, it's ALL subjective: one person's "dark" is another's
"just right" so you pretty much need to jump in the pool and try something
out for yourself. Doug @ Eurotubes will definitely sort you out if you tell him
what you're using (gear-wise) and what you're after (tone-wise)

Mike at KCA is a really great supplier for new and NOS production tubes
and his website makes for good reading/research..

personally, I am not married to any one brand of tube over another although
I've collected a stash of nice old tubes over the years so I figure I'm set for
life at this point.

best of luck, mang!

we all shine on, like the moon and the stars and the sun.
JimiBryant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2008, 03:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

vibrolux tube swap

Hi I've tried the new Tung-Sol and the new GT12ax7M which is aMullard Sol is much more mid rangy in the Vibrolux, with good note detail with thicker sounding individual notes.(Tung-Sol in v1and v2 very nice). GT12ax7 does have a vintage sound, but a lil' thinner and not quiet as detailed. Short story give me the Tung-Sols hands down. All test were done with Vibrolux vol. on 3 and eq. treb8, bass 7 or treb6, bass 2-3. Also I read an interview that Stevie's guitar tech gave in which he stated that he changed Stevie's JBL's to EV's. Just happened to have 2x10 EVs in a Fender Concert II. I put them in the Vibrolux and it was sure enough Stevie toned ( as if the stock Vibrolux wasn't enough) plus the Tung-Sols yields all the SRV tone you could ask for even without a tube screamer! The EV's do exibit a little less high end sparkle than the Jensens(tames the highs a bit) but the bell like chime is still present in guitar pos. 2 and 4. I'm currently trying a GT5751M in v2. I'm not yet sure if I'd rather go with Tung-Sol v1,v2 or use the GT in v2.
Others:JJs were abit darker but sweet sounding, well balanced.
Sovtek LPS were nice sounding,balanced with sweet mild mids but said to be microphonic in combos.
So, for my taste over all I prefer the Tung-Sols and he EVs. My P10Rs are now in my Fender 4x10 Super Amp.Hope this helped!
lioncommandking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2008, 04:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

vibrolux tube swap

Hi I've tried the new Tung-Sol and the new GT12ax7M which is aMullard Sol is much more mid rangy in the Vibrolux, with good note detail with thicker sounding individual notes.(Tung-Sol in v1and v2 very nice). GT12ax7 does have a vintage sound, but a lil' thinner and not quiet as detailed. Short story give me the Tung-Sols hands down. All test were done with Vibrolux vol. on 3 and eq. treb8, bass 7 or treb6, bass 2-3. Also I read an interview that Stevie's guitar tech gave in which he stated that he changed Stevie's JBL's to EV's. Just happened to have 2x10 EVs in a Fender Concert II. I put them in the Vibrolux and it was sure enough Stevie toned ( as if the stock Vibrolux wasn't enough) plus the Tung-Sols yields all the SRV tone you could ask for even without a tube screamer! The EV's do exibit a little less high end sparkle than the Jensens(tames the highs a bit) but the bell like chime is still present in guitar pos. 2 and 4. I'm currently trying a GT5751M in v2. I'm not yet sure if I'd rather go with Tung-Sol v1,v2 or use the GT in v2.
Others:JJs were abit darker but sweet sounding, well balanced.
Sovtek LPS were nice sounding,balanced with sweet mild mids but said to be microphonic in combos.
So, for my taste over all I prefer the Tung-Sols and he EVs. My P10Rs are now in my Fender 4x10 Super Amp.Hope this helped!
lioncommandking is offline   Reply With Quote