Small Tear In Original Speaker / Replace or Repair? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old August 17th, 2008, 08:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Small Tear In Original Speaker / Replace or Repair?

I noticed some low-end fart out coming out of the original speaker in my SFDR, so I took a careful look at the speaker, and noticed two things. First, there is a small (but obvious) tear in the cone. Second, one of the screws that keep the speaker in place is missing. I like the sound of the amp as is very much. Should I have the cone repaired, or should I get a new speaker? Also, how important is it to replace the one missing screw? I'm likely to leave well enough alone if there's no real sonic drawback.

I have reviewed the posts on replacement speaker choices, and, if pushed, would probably replace the original with either a Weber or a Celestion. I do want to keep the amp sounding American and Fendery.

Robsocal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2008, 08:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I saw a video (I think it was on Webers site) where he did a repair of a small tear using a small piece of paper towel and some ordinary white glue. He then hit it with a quick blast of flat black paint and that was all there was to it. He said the repair would make the speaker good as new.

You can replace the missing screw but I doubt thats whats giving the amp the farty sound. A loose speaker is more likely to give a buzz or rattle.

Old August 17th, 2008, 09:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
I saw a video (I think it was on Webers site) where he did a repair of a small tear using a small piece of paper towel and some ordinary white glue. He then hit it with a quick blast of flat black paint and that was all there was to it. He said the repair would make the speaker good as new.
Wow. That sounds pretty easy, and makes a lot of sense. I'd try that. Thanks for the tip.
Robsocal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old August 17th, 2008, 09:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I'm trying to find the video for you. What I remember he cut the paper towel to be about 1/2" bigger than the tear on all sides and he used a small artists paint brush to apply the glue and even out the paper towel so it was nice and smooth. Depending on where the tear is you might even be able to do this from the back side of the speaker so it would be less noticeable.

Old August 17th, 2008, 10:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I have done it with news paper and Elmer’s white glue.
I bought an old 68 Drip edge Twin that looked like it was left out side from some old guy in Florida $65.00 but I guess his grand kids took a pencil and jabbed holes through the grill cloth and into the speaker cones.
It looked like a guy that shaved with a dull razor with all the news paper I glued on them speakers.
ramseybella is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2008, 11:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I've used black silicone gasket material to fix a speaker. RTV, I believe. made it very thin.
petebradt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2008, 07:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

As a long time aero modeler, I use black Japanese tissue paper cut a bit larger than the tear, lay it over the boo-boo, wick in a few tiny droplets of thin CYA, done deal - as been said before, good as new.
Rob DiStefano is online now   Reply With Quote