Fender Custom Vibrolux Reverb - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old July 28th, 2008, 05:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Fender Custom Vibrolux Reverb

I picked a used one up recently for less than half msrp that was built in '06 and found it was bit more aggressive than what I want a VR for. Did a little research and found out how to easily tame it down with a couple of tube changes and it sounds pretty good now as a matter of fact.

I've been pairing it up with my '72 SFVR through an ABY box and it makes for a nice clean classic mid-scooped Fender tone.

Anyone else here own one or played through one long enough to get to know it pretty well? What are your thoughts?

64Strat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I had a blond 1995 CVR. I had it for 10 years and sold it to a friend who sold it about six months later. I liked it a lot; but you're right, it doesn't do clean as well as my 1969 VR. It's areally nice amp if you play in a sitituation where you can play it really loud. That, too me is where that amp really shines.
nonvintage is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2008, 09:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonvintage View Post
I had a blond 1995 CVR. I had it for 10 years and sold it to a friend who sold it about six months later. I liked it a lot; but you're right, it doesn't do clean as well as my 1969 VR. It's areally nice amp if you play in a sitituation where you can play it really loud. That, too me is where that amp really shines.
The thing is, I have the crunch, grind, wild thing covered with other classic amps, so I do not need this amp to do that but it popped up onto my radar screen and I impusively bought it at the right price because I thought I could make it work. I do a nice wet/dry setup and wanted a companion to my '72 SFVR and now that I researched and figured out how to tame this '06 CVR down, I think I have working but it is so new to me, I thought I would ask what the collective experience is with it.

The simple fix I did was change V1 & V2 from 12AX7A's to NOS GE 5751 five star tubes to cut down on the initial gain in the preamp and then change V6 to a balanced 12AT7 from the factory 12AX7A. I got this from the Fender Forum thread on this amp. It worked as advertised.
64Strat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 28th, 2008, 09:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonvintage View Post
funny you mention the blonde version....when I read the post I started thinking about a blonde one I demo'd years ago...about the same time frame as ur one...and I wondered if it was a CVR...I remember it not being as big as a twin...but dang cool....and I thought it sounded good...back them days

Old July 29th, 2008, 12:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Former Member
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64Strat View Post

The simple fix I did was change V1 & V2 from 12AX7A's to NOS GE 5751 five star tubes to cut down on the initial gain in the preamp and then change V6 to a balanced 12AT7 from the factory 12AX7A. I got this from the Fender Forum thread on this amp. It worked as advertised.
That's basically what I did to mine, looking for more Classic Fender Clean, and replaced those pitiful lookin Reverb Tank leads w/ some nice Shielded ones from Antique Electronic Supply....and ditched the reissue Jensens for a pair of Patriot Copperheads....Tremolo Circuit is just the Best on those Amps.
mellecaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2008, 10:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I've had mine for two years now. This is the first post 1960's amp I've ever owned(excluding my Park practice amp I got when I was 13). I decided I needed something "new" to take out and not worry about. From all the amps I tried , and there were lots of them, this is the one that made the cut. The CVR had the feel and sound that was closest to the original BF magic of all the Fenders I tried. A friend of mine has a 63' SR and the vibrolux is close to the presence that amp has. The RI don't come close to me, though they are good amps in their own right.

those are my ramblings. These things REALLY shine with a strat
purpletele is offline   Reply With Quote