BF Champ Extension Speaker - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old July 16th, 2008, 02:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

BF Champ Extension Speaker

Just picked up a '66 Champ in exc. condition. I would like to use the speaker as little as possible to keep it in said condition.

Looking at Ampwares site, I see they have RCA plugs and wire. I am thinking I could get another speaker and wire it up to the plug and, voila! Extension speaker for the Champ.

Also, I am guessing it would be possible to put the RCA on one end and a 1/4" on the other to use in a cabinet.

Any thoughts? What gauge wire would be best?

Thanks in advance.

Johnny Halo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2008, 03:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Are you against pulling out the RCA jack and replacing it with a standard 1/4-inch jack? It is a direct drop-in, with no drilling needed. Very easy to do.

If, on the other hand you don't want to mess with it, I suggest you put your Champ in a head cabinet and wire a RCA plug into the back panel jack. Then your original cabinet and speaker will remain unused.
EHX Hum Debugger > Barber TonePress > Fulltone MDV-3 > Bixonic Expandora > Q-modded BudWah > XP300 Space Station > Fulltone SupaTrem > Keeley AD9 > Express XT Looper > Peterson StroboStomp > ISP Decimator > Fulltone TruePath ABY > The Amps....
eugenedunn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2008, 10:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I was thinking that making a wire(s) would be the easiest and least invasive way to go.
Johnny Halo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 16th, 2008, 10:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

This is a pretty straightforward plug n play setup. I would recommend it if you're gonna transport your amp and plug into cabinets all the time.

Have you thought about removing the existing speaker and storing it? Just replace with a robust Weber 8F125 like I did. Much louder, and late breakup. 3.2 ohm vintage correct impedance, 30-watt rating.

EHX Hum Debugger > Barber TonePress > Fulltone MDV-3 > Bixonic Expandora > Q-modded BudWah > XP300 Space Station > Fulltone SupaTrem > Keeley AD9 > Express XT Looper > Peterson StroboStomp > ISP Decimator > Fulltone TruePath ABY > The Amps....

Old July 16th, 2008, 11:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Or you can get a RCA-to-1/4" adapter and use a regular 1/4" speaker cable to an extension cab. I believe Weber can make any speakers with the stock Champ speaker impedance.
WrapAround is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2008, 11:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I think WrapAround's got the easiest solution, but the RCA jack is inherently kinda weak.

Like I said earlier, if you plan on connecting and disconnecting a lot and transporting a lot, you would do well to either go for the beefier 1/4-inch jack or even the head cabinet route.

Old July 16th, 2008, 12:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I have done the 1/4 to RCA adapter thing in the past.
2 issues.. Very long and weak. Also more weight straigh down on the RCA jack and with vibration the RCA plug can fall out.

I made a custom cable using lamp cord (I know.. but it seems to work for me) since I didnt want to replace the RCA jack with a 1/4". I loop the cable through the handle so the weight is not being held by the RCA jack.

Cheers

Drew
SamBooka is offline   Reply With Quote