Cannabis Rex Review - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old July 6th, 2008, 04:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Cannabis Rex Review

I just put a CR in my '74 Traynor Guitar Mate today. Compared to the original speaker and a Vintage 30 I had in for a while this CR is like a dream come true.

I had done alot of reading and listening before I settled on the CR and I'm glad I decided to get it. Apparently the Guitar Mate is known to be a very bright amp (mine was) but the Eminence totally tames the excessive brightness. The highs are still there but they are rounded and not piercing or shrill. My Tele has a much stronger voice now. There's still lots twang, it's just thicker and sweeter.

Prior to this speaker change I was intending to have a little mod done to the amp to reduce the amount of treble. Now there's absolutely no need to do that.

In general the tone from my amp has become very warm and vocal-like and it handles the overdrive from my OD-3 very nicely. It is one of the nicer blues sounds I've played with. Harmonically rich, thick and singing.

I would say there is no muddiness but a nice warm (how many times have I used the word 'warm' already?) clarity.

These speakers are very reasonably priced as well.

I'm really, really pleased with this speaker.

Old July 6th, 2008, 04:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Very cool!

I have been wanting to try more new Eminence speakers... maybe a CR is in my future too.

3 Gibsons, 5 Teles, assorted other guitars, about a dozen amps, about two dozen pedals, a Smith & Wesson SW40VE, & a .40 SIG Sauer P226R = too many toys, no money, carpal tunnel, and a serious hearing problem.
JohnnyCrash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2008, 08:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I use a CRex with a Carmen Ghia head. I'd call it a modern, rock/country-rock kind of sound.

When I got my CG I assumed I would get a Weber Blue Dog to go with it since I love the Blues in my Super Reverb and Princeton. But that speaker just didn't do it for me with the CG....too spikey on the high end.

The CRex, however, is nice and smooth and works for clean and excels when things are getting pushed harder. I have no desire to try out other speakers with the CG.

http://www.tdpri.com/telephoto/data/...tandzsmall.jpg
telel6s is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 6th, 2008, 10:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I have one in my Blues Jr. and love the tone -- rich, sweet, creamy. They're great speakers, and the price can't be beat for what you get. I'm considering one for my Windsor Studio to get a little more umph out of it.

Old July 6th, 2008, 11:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I'm sure pleased with it. I'm very new to the speaker game and truly I had no idea the difference a good or at least a well matched speaker can make. In this case it's changed the nature of the guitar/amp combination entirely for the better.

The Traynor always sounded good but it just wouldn't quite give me that rich, warm sound I wanted with the original speaker or the Vintage 30. I was always playing with the tone controls trying to get an Eq I liked. Now it's just "set it and forget it".

Now the tone is basically dialed in from the speaker alone and the tone controls are there for fine tuning.

I would say if you're trying to find 'your sound' by constantly messing with the tone controls then the problem and the solution are somewhere else. Like a speaker change in my case.

Old July 6th, 2008, 09:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I've been contemplating trying this speaker for a while in my Ampeg Reverbojet--I'm pretty well convinced, but wonder what a Celestion Gold would sound like (what a price difference though!)
Radspin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2008, 09:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I have a Cannabis Rex in one Blues Junior and a Texas Heat in the other. Both are great speakers, but the C. Rex is definitely sweeter. I love it.
Billm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2008, 10:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billm View Post
I have a Cannabis Rex in one Blues Junior and a Texas Heat in the other. Both are great speakers, but the C. Rex is definitely sweeter. I love it.
Do you think there would be any benefit from mixing a C. Rex with a Texas Heat in a 2x12 cab?

Is there another Eminence speaker that would pair nicely with the C. Rex in a 2x12" cab??

It's pretty tempting just put in a pair of C. Rex's because they sound so nice.

When I think I only paid $70 and some tax for my C. Rex it makes me even happier about it than I already am.

Old July 6th, 2008, 10:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
R.I.P.
Poster Extraordinaire

Hmmmm....

I'm wonderin' what a C. Rex would do for a Deluxe Reverb?

Anybody know???

Old July 6th, 2008, 11:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

The couple of DRRI that I've played have tended to be pretty bright amps. I would say that if you're trying to smooth out and warm up any sort of brittle , shrill, ice pick highs then the C. Rex would be a really good choice based on my very limited experience.

One of the problems I encountered with my Traynor was that by trying to tame the very shrill high end by turning down the treble tone control I lost my high end. With the C. Rex I have my treble control up high but there's nothing but nice round, sparkly highs now. The high end is there but now it's pleasing to me ear. An easy and inexpensive fix I would say.

Old July 7th, 2008, 07:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyguy View Post
I just put a CR in my '74 Traynor Guitar Mate today. Compared to the original speaker and a Vintage 30 I had in for a while this CR is like a dream come true.
If you just put it in and like it, once it gets broken in you're gunna love it! For whatever reason, I remember it taking this speaker a little longer than most to get there.

I agree with your analysis of the speaker 100% though. An added bonus for me was the added clean headroom due to the C-rex's efficiency (loud) and slow breakup.
EZchair Picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2008, 08:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Gibson friendly?

I've been looking at these for a while, wondering if they may be too dark. Have any of you tried these with guitars other than a tele?
JKjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2008, 09:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by trag-o-caster View Post
Hmmmm....

Anybody know???

I have one in my Tweed Deluxe clone and it sounds GREAT
BrianF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2008, 09:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Here's what the ToneQuest Report had to say about the Cannabis Rex:

Quote:
Nothing mines low and midrange frequencies like
hemp. This speaker captures harmonic textures that no other speaker in our tests produced, and the Cannabis Rex is your secret weapon for creating captivating rhythm tracks, slithering slide riffs and greasy fills, head-turning solos and a bold attitude that will add a new dimension to your music. This speaker will challenge you to get creative with its thick, lowdown vibe, but if the idea of high frequencies being cloaked in a darker shade of wail is a turnoff, keep walking – you don’t get it and it’s not for you. The Cannabis Rex was created for the open-minded player whose sonic requirements are not limited to the more readily accessible and familiar guitar tones of yesterday. “Rex” is the totally stoned, lead baritone in the Eminence choir – prone to brilliant performances but definitely not running with the pack. It is an instrument unto itself and a great addition to any studio.
I think this description is a little over the top, but it's accurate. This is not a speaker for Jensen lovers. The distortion tone is more "bwoooo" than "bweeee", if that makes sense. I think it sounds great with humbuckers.
Billm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2008, 10:04 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKjr View Post
I've been looking at these for a while, wondering if they may be too dark. Have any of you tried these with guitars other than a tele?
Yup, I've tried it with every guitar I own!

FWIW, I like this speaker best with single coil pups as well as low to medium output humbuckers....my favorite humbucker being the DH-1 Fender puts in their American HSS strats. The lester I owned had a 500T/496R pup combination in it. The guitar had a really thick and hot tone to it which I thought actually worked against the C-rex's natural strengths. My rex is in a C30, so another amp may yield different results and of coarse it's all in the listener's ear.
EZchair Picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I have a 2x12 cab loaded with Cannibas Rex speakers.

Yup, extra sweet low mids according to the Eminence description that Tonequest reprinted word-for-word in the form of a review.

I've used 'em with a '72 Pro Reverb, '50s Newcomb PA head (5E3) and a Teisco Checkmate 15 (AC15 wannabe). They're a good choice if you wanna tame the icepick highs. I like 'em best with a bright single coiled guitar.

With the Newcomb PA head, already a very dark sounding creature, I have to keep the tone all the way on the trebble side or EQ the overdrive pedal to high, in order to keep it from being too woofy (until I added the BBE Sonic Stomp to my rig, that made the highs more audible and accentuated the lows in such a way that it was not woofy, but that's another review all together).

The best thing about these speakers, and they're great speakers, is the jokes you get to tell. "Dude, I've got totally SMOKIN TONE!!!".
Inflammatory Rhetoric
Vol. Knob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The cannabis rex is my favortie speaker for the YGM-3 guitarmate also. I came to the same conclusions. It tames the over the top treble without ever sounding muddy or dull.
Natstrat79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #18 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trag-o-caster View Post
Hmmmm....

Anybody know???
I've been using one for about 2 years now and it is the perfect speaker for my amp. Before that I used the original eminence blue label, Kendrick brownframe, Celestion Greenback, Celestion G12-65, EVM 12L, then the CRex. The search is over. It sounds great whether using my Tele or Les Pauls. Tightens up the bottom end, smooth solid high end that isn't too bright, and well balanced.
DavidS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2008, 01:22 PM   #19 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Wow!! Judging from all the responses there's alot of love for this speaker. It's nice to know my ears are actually working and I'm hearing the same sonic qualities that alot of other folks are.

Old July 7th, 2008, 03:46 PM   #20 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I've been thinking of swapping out the speaker in my C30 as well. I wonder if the C Rex is what I'm looking for. The webber blue dog comes pretty highly recommended too, so now I have something else to think about.

CC
Canuckcaster is offline   Reply With Quote