Ovation Truss Rod Adjustment Tool - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Acoustic Heaven
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Acoustic Heaven Unplugged forum for acoustic players.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old October 29th, 2007, 12:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Ovation Truss Rod Adjustment Tool

I just resurected an older US made Ovation that sat around for many years. Plays pretty nice after restringing it, just needs a bit more relief in the neck. It adjusts under the sound hole, I tried several different Allen wrenchs and none of them connect with anything. Is there a special tool I need to use? If so where would I get one.

johnnykf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2007, 12:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

You have to order it from Ovation. The size of the Allen key is 3/16s, but it's a hair bigger. The key from Ovation costs $30, and is in their accesories catalog.

Old October 30th, 2007, 03:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

My recollection, and this goes back to the 1980's so I could be wrong, is that you need a long 5mm allen wrench. The actual bolt is far down a "tunnel" and the usual L-shaped wrenches are too short.
Bopcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old October 30th, 2007, 06:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Indeed, that would be a 5mm allen wrench. You need a long one and usually need somehow to extend the other end for a slight bit of leverage...that is, a small 'cheater bar'...I use the open end of my Peavey t-rod nut tool. A small deep socket would do the trick, too. If the rod nut is very smooth, no extra effort is needed, but I usually use one with great care, of course.
Wally is online now   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2007, 09:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Thanks guys, went to Valu, spent .85 on a 3/16 Allen wrench, didn't work, was too small. I'll get the company wrench from Ovation. Sam-Ass has them in the online catalog on backorder for 3 bucks and change I'm the meantime I'll hunt for a 5mm longie

Old November 11th, 2007, 11:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I would contact Ovation tech support and give them the model number of your guitar. I checked my Ovation Balladeer special and it requires a 3/16 wrench and not a 5mm. The 3/16 has no play in it whatsoever. The 5 mm will not fit. If you find the 5 mm works on yours, place a socket handle wrench over the allan wrench to give yourself som leverage. Adjust it in small increments and check it in 24 hours. It takes time for the wood to get compfy again.
Cantom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2007, 01:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Got the wrench at Sam Ash for $4.00

Wrench just came in, worked perfect, guitar plays great now after loosening the truss rod. It looks like an oversized Allen wrench, the long end is really long for leverage, small end fits right into that tunnel inside the sound hole. Not sure what MM it is but for 4 bucks you cant go wrong

Old December 17th, 2007, 05:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Is the Ovation tool 5mm? If so it's the same as a Martin, and their tool is really nice (has a handle on it for leverage).

Meanwhile I saved some dosh on the tool, instead I use a 5mm allen wrench with equal length legs that came in a box of knock-down furniture from Ikea (I've been waiting for a chance to brag about that one).