Your favorite Open G folk / country / blues songs? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Acoustic Heaven
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Acoustic Heaven Unplugged forum for acoustic players.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Advertise on the TDPRI Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 4th, 2007, 10:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Your favorite Open G folk / country / blues songs?

I have been working some of my favorite songs out in open G so i was wondering what you guys do on acoustic open tuned guitar.

Right now I have some standards

"Run on" (also known as God's Gonna Cut You Down)
"Death Letter"
"Leavin Trunk"
"Grinnin in your face"
"John the Revelater"

They seem to go over really well with my current audience. I am looking to add some more country sounding songs. But I am not familiar with any traditional arrangement songs in Open G. Maybe Bluegrass?

P-Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2007, 05:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I did "Death Letter" in Open E myself (on a parlor sized acoustic). I also did "John the Revelator" acappela and used my Open G tuned resonator's back as a drum.

The Rolling Stone's "Honky Tonk Women" is in Open G and I often played that fretted with slide only during the chorus... hell, nearly every song on "Exile on Main Street" was in Open G - they had a few Country numbers on that album.

A lot of Banjo licks are easily played in Open G since its nearly the same tuning as a common Banjo tuning (also called Open G).

I'll dig around my old setlists and see what I have. I had 3 guitars set up for an acoustic 3 hour set I did once a week for a while. I had one in Open E, one in Open G, and one in Standard tuning (hey, I had to fill 3 hours HAHA).

I even did Billy Joel's "Piano Man" as an Irish drinking song...

3 Gibsons, 5 Teles, assorted other guitars, about a dozen amps, about two dozen pedals, a Smith & Wesson SW40VE, & a .40 SIG Sauer P226R = too many toys, no money, carpal tunnel, and a serious hearing problem.
JohnnyCrash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2007, 10:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I actually prefer Open D and E

Yeah, if your in Open G you can pretty much play much fo the Stones post-69catalog - "Happy", "HTW", "Start Me Up", "Street Fighting Man," "Brown Sugar" and so on. Gotta go to Open D for "Prodigal Son."

In Open G - I would list:

"Death Letter Blues" - Son House. I think this was the first open tuning song I learned some 40 years ago. I still love to play it

"Yoyo Blues" - Barbecue Bob. IMHO, although his recording career was pretty short, Bob remains one of the most underrated blues guitar players ever

"I Can't Be Satsifed" - Muddy Waters. This can also be played in Open A

"Love in Vain" - Robert Johnson although I tend to do a very Stones-like version

"Long Haired Doney" (R.L. Burnside)

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 5th, 2007, 05:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Oh man... I realize why keef took off his low E string. Why does it sound so horrible on some things. IE barring chords on Open G...

It just sounds out of place.

Thanks you guys for the suggestions. I am actually kinda having fun taking some standard tuned songs and just playing the chords over Open G. It definitely turns some songs into a whole new thing.
P-Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2007, 11:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Telefied

"southcity midnight lady"
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2007, 11:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I'm not very religious but I like to play "Light of the World" in open G.

Old June 6th, 2007, 02:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Oh yeah... "Bad to the Bone" is another open tuned song.

I like messing with a variety of open tunings too. Having to reconfigure your knowledge of where to find notes made it easier for me to get used to Mandolin playing as well as made me a better guitar player.

I'll keep thinking of songs...

3 Gibsons, 5 Teles, assorted other guitars, about a dozen amps, about two dozen pedals, a Smith & Wesson SW40VE, & a .40 SIG Sauer P226R = too many toys, no money, carpal tunnel, and a serious hearing problem.
JohnnyCrash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2007, 11:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

[QUOTE=Flashback;836726]Oh man... I realize why keef took off his low E string. Why does it sound so horrible on some things. IE barring chords on Open G...It just sounds out of place./QUOTE]

Big mistake removing the low E though. I love Keef and the "look Ma, no hands" school of open tuning playing is fun but pretty limiting. You lose the ability to incorporate alternating, dead thumb bass patterns or descending bass lines into your playing. Ya can't roll the bass syncopation with your thumb to capture Blind Blake's piano-style of playing without a low E.