Martin D28 copy: Recording king RD-316 / Blueridge BR 160a / LARRIVEE D03-R - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Acoustic Heaven
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Acoustic Heaven Unplugged forum for acoustic players.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old May 10th, 2013, 09:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Martin D28 copy: Recording king RD-316 / Blueridge BR 160a / LARRIVEE D03-R

Hi Folks,

i want to buy a Martin D28 copy im looking for the hank williams sound.
i know he also played on a D18.

watched so many videos and reviews and these 3 guitars are my favorite.
what do you guys think ? wich one should i go for.
i have to go for a NEW guitar since you can't find second hand guitars for a good price at my location.

Recording king RD-316
http://www.recordingking.com/product.../guitars-rd316

Blueridge BR 160a
http://www.sagamusic.com/products/pr...x?item=BR-160A

LARRIVEE D03-R
http://www.larrivee.com/3_products/p...ovie/D03R.html

Thanks !

Last edited by twangbender; May 10th, 2013 at 07:48 PM.
twangbender is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2013, 05:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

no one knows something about these guitars ? hihi

Old May 11th, 2013, 06:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

The Martin "authentic" series "D28a," etc. are closer to spec but very pricey. Im no expert, but the D18 was smaller than the D28, and for at least a '50's Martin look, the white trim, black line on the bottom where the strap pin is, tortoise-shell celluloid style pick-guard and the brown leather vintage style strap with the moveable shoulder pad will get you close visually - and you could probably a/b current dreadnought specs with the originals to find the ballpark, then play a couple (if you can) to see how they sound before buying.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old May 11th, 2013, 06:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I am a big fan of Larrivee but think that if you are looking for a D-28 tone, the Larrivee is not the one for you. It uses a different bracing pattern and has it's own distinct tone. I love the tone of the D-03R, but it is not a D-28 copy.

Of the three you listed, I'd go with the Blueridge BR-160A. It has the tone you want, is well made and is priced very reasonably. If you don't have a local dealer and will be buying online, try Maury's Music for a good price.

Jim
jwsamuel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2013, 08:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

They have blueridge guitars for sale here and i can try them but the thing is
A new blueridge br160a will cost $1265 here.
I can buy a second hand larrivee D03R for $900
And a new recording king RD 316 for $790

A blueridge is too expensive new then i can better buy a used martin D28 for a bit more.
And besides that no one has this br160a second hand in my country.

So the choice is hard !
Thanks for the help

Old May 11th, 2013, 08:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I have played the Blueridge and it's close. The others I can't say. I do know that bluegrass players of all calibers seem to like the Blueridge, and like the sound.
motwang is online now   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2013, 09:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by twangbender View Post
They have blueridge guitars for sale here and i can try them but the thing is
A new blueridge br160a will cost $1265 here.
I can buy a second hand larrivee D03R for $900
And a new recording king RD 316 for $790
Where are you?

Maury's Music sells the Blueridge BR-160A for $733 new, but he does not ship outside the USA>

Of the three you listed, the Larrivee is my favorite but, as I said earlier, it is probably the farthest from a D-28 in terms of tone. If you can find a used D-28 for a good price, that would be the way to go.

Jim
jwsamuel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2013, 11:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsamuel View Post
Where are you?

Maury's Music sells the Blueridge BR-160A for $733 new, but he does not ship outside the USA>

Of the three you listed, the Larrivee is my favorite but, as I said earlier, it is probably the farthest from a D-28 in terms of tone. If you can find a used D-28 for a good price, that would be the way to go.

Jim
im from holland, shipping to here would be $100 and custom import tax would be around $150 the total would be $200 less than buying the blueridge here in my country only the downside of this is the guitar have to sit in transit for a long time and i have to wait a long time till it gets here. plus i can't return it if anything happens within the warranty time. hmmm

i was raving on the blueridge in the start but then i saw the recording king with the AAA top for a much lower price. but im complete clueless of how they sound in real life.
i think i have to go to haarlem and try out the blueridge 160a.
theres no change i can try the recording king cause they only sell it in a online music store without a shop.
so if i like the blueridge i have to wait till someone puts it on the second hand page or buy a new one.

Old May 11th, 2013, 11:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I have the Larrivee D-03R and it is a nice guitar but it is not a D-28 copy. The Larrivee has a much more balanced sound and is great for strumming and good for flatpicking and fingerpicking. I much prefer the Martin sound but the Larrivee was a very good deal and so I bought it. It is my go to guitar for any event where I need an acoustic to cover a wide range of material. I have played (but not owned) the Blueridge and the Larrivee is a nicer guitar but the Blueridge may be more "Martinlike" in terms of sound. If you want D-28 tones for less than $1000 I think used is your best bet and even then you will need to find a great deal.
And by golly I couldn't do it!
Stefanovich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2013, 05:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanovich View Post
I have the Larrivee D-03R and it is a nice guitar but it is not a D-28 copy. The Larrivee has a much more balanced sound and is great for strumming and good for flatpicking and fingerpicking. I much prefer the Martin sound but the Larrivee was a very good deal and so I bought it. It is my go to guitar for any event where I need an acoustic to cover a wide range of material. I have played (but not owned) the Blueridge and the Larrivee is a nicer guitar but the Blueridge may be more "Martinlike" in terms of sound. If you want D-28 tones for less than $1000 I think used is your best bet and even then you will need to find a great deal.
If you want some Martin like tones, you might also try a D-15! I do have one of these and you can pick up a used one a lot cheaper than than the D-28. You might try a D-18 also. both have a little different tone, but both will give you that Martin dreadnaught sound.

Old May 12th, 2013, 08:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

theres also a Martin D16 for sale here for $900
i don't now if it's the model with the Adirondack or if it's anything near the sound of a D28.

Old May 12th, 2013, 10:50 AM   #12 (permalink)

Formerly known as Eryque
Doctor of Teleocity

I think your best bet is to take a vacation trip somewhere that has a wide selection of the guitars you want. It's a win-win: vacation and a new guitar! :-)

Acoustics have so much variation in sound that it's nearly impossible to guarantee you'll get a good one, even if you're buying a top of the line model. That goes double in guitars in the lower price ranges because they allow more quality variation in the woods and build.

Parts & Pickups

www.kokoteleguitarworks.com
KokoTele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2013, 11:00 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by KokoTele View Post
I think your best bet is to take a vacation trip somewhere that has a wide selection of the guitars you want. It's a win-win: vacation and a new guitar! :-)

Acoustics have so much variation in sound that it's nearly impossible to guarantee you'll get a good one, even if you're buying a top of the line model. That goes double in guitars in the lower price ranges because they allow more quality variation in the woods and build.
koko is right on the money, as I've said before, play 'em before you buy 'em. Two "identical" guitars can sound different, because of the tonality of the piece of top wood used. Just cause it's Adirondack Spruce, doesn't mean it will sound as good as another piece.

Old May 12th, 2013, 11:08 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I have the older BR160 with the sitka spruce top. Great guitar that comes close to the Martin sound.
Bobb2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2013, 11:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I love My Blueridge br-180 ...It plays and sounds very nice,My friend has a d-18 and loves My B/R... I just played a Rec. king last week and the neck looked and felt so similar to the B/R that I wonder if they are made at the same factory ... I would say whichever of the 2 You can get the best deal on.
Billy B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2013, 04:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Recording King makes a really great guitar...
a.miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2013, 02:02 AM   #17 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I have a couple of Recording Kings including an RD-316. It's a great guitar regardless of price point. As you know, it's mahogany not rosewood like a D-28, though it does possess a darker sound than most hog guitars. Acoustic Guitar magazine has a very good video review on their website that I believe is also available through the RK website. I love mine and think it stands up to many much more expensive guitars.
skimballc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2013, 11:25 AM   #18 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I have a Recording King RD-27. It's a great sounding D-28 copy.
Rubber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2013, 11:30 AM   #19 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Doctor of Teleocity

I'm another one who says "play them all, buy the one that sounds/feels/works best for you".

Everything else is irrelevant!

Tim
Tim Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2013, 11:46 AM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

How about the new Sigma line? There are dealers in Germany. They look exactly like Martins.

http://www.sigma-guitars.com/

List price for the DR-28 is 520 bucks.

Dan