Are Luna guitars any good? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Acoustic Heaven
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Acoustic Heaven Unplugged forum for acoustic players.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 21st, 2013, 09:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Are Luna guitars any good?

I'm searching for a guitar for the wife and she's a very visually-minded kinda gal, so I'd like to get her a good sounding guitar that also doesn't look plain like a Martin. I understand the tone is what counts, I'd play an old shoe if it sounded good, but she's different. I'm getting good advice on acoustics in another thread, but I wanted to specifically ask a out Lunas - anyone have one or have info on their quality of construction and/or sound?

LiverpoolFC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2013, 10:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I've played some that weren't that great and one that was pretty good. The one that was pretty good was their small travel size guitar. I almost bought it but I really wanted a Little Martin.
WCK85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2013, 10:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

The shop down the street from me carries quite a few Luna's. They're decent, especially if you can get one of the solid tops. The ones I've tried seemed to be well put together and sound pretty good, especially for some fairly inexpensive guitars. And some of them are actually fairly nice looking too. Just my two cents, but hope it helps.
philpm is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 22nd, 2013, 08:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Most asian guitars now a days are not too bad for the money. If your wife likes a little pizazz, how about a Epi Humming bird, Dove, Washburn D10 quilt top or similar?

Not discounting the Luna line, but again, there are lots of choices lately.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...coustic-guitar
3 Chord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2013, 05:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
2014 BUILD CHALLENGER
Friend of Leo's

If your interested in Luna I would check pawn shops. At least around here you can't go into one without one hanging on the wall somewhere. I dont recall ever picking one up but they make some pretty guitars.

Old June 2nd, 2013, 10:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Have a cheap Luna, actually made of splat. Functionally I like it but the bridge is stripping off the body now. Cheap :(
noakim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2013, 10:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Chord View Post
Most asian guitars now a days are not too bad for the money. If your wife likes a little pizazz, how about a Epi Humming bird, Dove, Washburn D10 quilt top or similar?

Not discounting the Luna line, but again, there are lots of choices lately.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...coustic-guitar
This^^^^^^^!!!!!!
motwang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2013, 11:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I had a Luna with the multi-color finish and dragon fly inlays. It did look good. It sounded OK. I installed a bone saddle and it sounded better. I think they are expensive for what you get though. My impression is that you pay a lot to get something that looks good but doesn't sound good. I almost always try a Luna when I see one to try to get a better impression, but so far my opinion hasn't changed.

Ibanez makes cheap flashy guitars, however, the best sounding entry level guitars that I have found come from Alvarez and Yamaha, but you won't find a flashy model from them.

One more thing about the Lunas. The necks are usually thinner so the string spacing is tighter. If you have big fingers it might not work out for you at the nut and if you want to do fingerstyle it may not be enough room at the bridge.

Last edited by dragonfly66; June 2nd, 2013 at 12:10 PM.
dragonfly66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Luna guitars are fine good but a little pricey unless you find one on sale. I own the tele style electric that is very well built and plays and sounds good. The Luna has a nice neck and grover locking tuners. The company has good support and a great website with instructional videos; comes in handy and might inspire your wife to play. I found a new one for 265.00 a couple years ago but before I paid full price (450+) I would look elsewhere.
zooman is offline   Reply With Quote