Opinions on the Martin DRS1? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Acoustic Heaven
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Acoustic Heaven Unplugged forum for acoustic players.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Advertise on the TDPRI Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 3rd, 2013, 09:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Opinions on the Martin DRS1?

Some friends of mine are wanting to give their teenage son a new acoustic guitar for his upcoming birthday. He's a gifting young guitar player, and has "guitar" in his blood. He mostly plays a Strat, and has an old beater acoustic. He's asked for a better acoustic, so that's what they're do for his birthday.

They think they've settled on a Martin DRS1, and they asked my opinion. I'm not familiar enough with it to know. I know it's made of sapele, which is fine. But the specs talk about some sort of composite neck. Is that the Martin that has the longitudinally multi-laminated neck? As in... about 20 or so thin strips?

If that's it - I bet it's stable as heck.

Anyone have any opinions on the durability of it?

Alternatives in the same price range? ($750 street)

Old March 3rd, 2013, 10:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I have one and I love it, I'd definitely recommend it to anybody wanting an acoustic in that price range
JackP9284 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2013, 10:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

The DRS-1 has a Stratabond neck. I have an OM-1GT with the same neck and I love the feel of it. It is very stable and easy to play. The DRS-1 is RS- great choice for a young player.

Jim
jwsamuel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 4th, 2013, 01:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Formerly known as Eryque
Doctor of Teleocity

For the price, I think there may be better options. Laminated neck, richlite fretboard and bridge... If it's like Martin's other low-end offerings, I'd expect that it sound okay, but not great.

The Epiphone Masterbilts are $599 new for the cutaway dread, and are a more traditional build. I've never heard anyone complain about one and they sound great. I have the OM-style model and it gives a real OM-18 a run for its money. The Guild GAD series are nice too.

Is buying used an option? Lotsa good options on the used market if you look a little. You could get an old Guild for that money and it will sound really great.

Parts & Pickups

www.kokoteleguitarworks.com
KokoTele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2013, 09:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Chiming in a little late here. I was looking at the DRS1 and DRS2 before I bought my D16GT. They were both very nice guitars but I found them to be fairly neck heavy. Not much of a problem in a sitting position but with a strap, the neck will tend to dive.
The masterbuilts are also beautiful sounding guitars for the price as are the Canadian made Seagull Maritime SWS (solid wood series) guitars. Can the boy get his arm around a dreadnaught body? The DRS series are all dreads, Seagulls come in different body sizes, not sure about the Masterbuilts. I'm finding the transition from a smaller bodied Ovation to a dread a little tougher than I thought as my 56 year old shoulders aren't as flexible as they used to be
INFANT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2013, 09:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by KokoTele View Post
For the price, I think there may be better options. Laminated neck, richlite fretboard and bridge... If it's like Martin's other low-end offerings, I'd expect that it sound okay, but not great.

The Epiphone Masterbilts are $599 new for the cutaway dread, and are a more traditional build. I've never heard anyone complain about one and they sound great. I have the OM-style model and it gives a real OM-18 a run for its money. The Guild GAD series are nice too.

Is buying used an option? Lotsa good options on the used market if you look a little. You could get an old Guild for that money and it will sound really great.
I agree, in the 750$ range you can buy better sounding guitars. In the 4-500$ range, the Martin X series is super tough to beat.

The new Epiphone Dove Heritage ~300$ is a super nice instrument.

Epi Masterbuilts in the 6-700$ range are nice

I wouldn't be ashamed to own a Blueridge BR160 or similiar model either.

Old March 10th, 2013, 10:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I had a sapele D15L .
Sounded like a chorus of angels . Not kidding . Don't make the mistake of poo pooing sapele . It even smells great .
I ended up giving the guitar away because I don't fit the dreadnaught size .
Stratabond is a great neck . Yes , very stable and strong .
otterhound is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Formerly known as Eryque
Doctor of Teleocity

Thought I'd bump this up and see if you made a decision. Just curious what the results were.

Parts & Pickups

www.kokoteleguitarworks.com
KokoTele is offline   Reply With Quote