Soundhole Pup Question - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Acoustic Heaven
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Acoustic Heaven Unplugged forum for acoustic players.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 3rd, 2013, 02:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Soundhole Pup Question

I bought a Duncan woody. Sounds great. My question is this. I want to make it a permanent fixture in the guitar. My thought is to cut and splice the cord running it inside the guitar and wiring it to an input jack. And of course mounting the Jack at the back of the guitar. Will this work and do you guys foresee any stumbling blocks?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Wop Geronimo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2013, 07:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I did that a while back. I added a jack/plug inside, secured with velcro, so the PU can be removed/replaced if I ever decided. (Decided, instead, to get a new guitar with built-in electronics :)).

The jack is the hard part. I'd do some searching and see how folks have done that (without wrecking their guitars), and make sure your forearm can fit through the soundhole to reach to where you plan to have it come through, so tightening is possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	woody1sm.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	159482   Click image for larger version

Name:	woody2sm.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	159483   Click image for larger version

Name:	woody3sm.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	159484  

Do not do to others what you do not want done to yourself. - Confucius
still_fiddlin is online now   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2013, 08:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Thanks for the pics and info. It's not a real expensive guitar. Just one I like a lot. I don't mind making a hole :)
Wop Geronimo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 4th, 2013, 02:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

You don't need to get your arm inside your guitar to install a jack. A 1/4 inch length of surgical tubing poked through the drilled hole grab it out of the sound hole stick the jack into it attach all the wires and just pull it back through the drilled hole screw the nut on a "Voila". That's the way electronics are installed in F hole type guitars. There's a real good demonstration on youtube
lonnieboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2013, 09:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Possible stumbling blocks:

Be sure the OUTPUT jack can be tightened from the outside, like this one or this other one. Not all of them can be, and in some instances you will indeed need to stick your hand through the sound hole to secure a retaining nut on the inside. Voice of experience here: It ain't easy.

You can solder the cable from the pickup directly to the jack. I did this with two Lawrence Sound Research pickups in two Martins, thirty-plus years ago.

You can solder a mini plug (1/8" or 3mm) onto the cable from the pickup, and solder a mini jack to the terminals of the OUTPUT jack/strap pin. I did this with an Ovation, thirty years ago. This permits easy pickup swapping, should you desire to do so. But it requires sticking your hand through the sound hole to connect the pickup's mini plug to the mini jack.

You can solder a mini plug onto the cable from the pickup, solder a short cable to the OUTPUT jack, solder a mini jack onto the end of the cable, and connect that way. On one guitar, I mounted the mini jack through a small block of wood, which was then glued to a top brace near the sound hole. On another, I left the mini jack flopping around inside the guitar body, and wrapped and taped a sponge around it to keep it from rattling. Either of these methods permits quick pickup changes without reaching around blindly inside the guitar's body. Still_fiddlin's Velcro solution is more elegant than my sponge, and easier to implement than the permanently mounted mini jack. It's probably the best choice.

Pictures of musical instruments are very much like sculptures of food.
syrynx is offline   Reply With Quote