Negotiating for a new Martin - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Acoustic Heaven
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Acoustic Heaven Unplugged forum for acoustic players.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 4th, 2012, 02:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Negotiating for a new Martin

So I'm getting closer to buying a new Martin. Here's my question: can I negotiate with the dealer like I'm negotiating for a new car, with knowledge of what their dealer cost is?

I'm entranced with the Martin 000 15-SM. List price is $1895. It appears that the MAP prices is $1399. I've read that dealer cost is 50% of list (or is it MAP?), which would mean the dealer paid $947 for it. If that's the case, what percentage can I add on that so that the dealer can reasonably make profit and I get the best deal?

bendingtens is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2012, 04:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Removed a stray "a."

I think you're right in that dealer cost is 50% off of list. Also, Maury's Music and My Favorite Guitars, two independent dealers which have a lot of internet sales, will regularly discount 40% off list, which would be $1,137, but you have to call and ask since they can't print anything below the MAP.

I'm not sure if other dealers will readily discount that much, but knowing this should give you some negotiating room. (Although I personally wouldn't take a hard line when I found the right guitar, as 40% off list is a pretty narrow profit).

Another interesting thing is that dealers who order custom run Martins don't have a MAP and can print at the actual selling price, so you'll see Elderly's custom runs and My Favorite Guitars' Ambertones with a greater discount than the others. I've also seen a few custom variations on the 15 series, like this OM-15 at LA Guitar Sales: http://www.laguitarsales.com/pages/4...stom_OM-15.htm.

Last edited by tbp0701; December 4th, 2012 at 11:28 AM.
tbp0701 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2012, 10:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I can only relate my own experience from about a year ago at Guitar Center when I got my D15M. They were having a promotion with 15% off the regular price plus 0% interest for 12 months if you signed up for their credit card.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to get yet another credit card, so I haggled and the most they were willing to drop the price for a cash purchase was 10%. I ended up getting their credit card and the 15% discount, then paid it off in about 6 months.

At the moment I think they have a promotion with 18 months 0% financing.
Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 4th, 2012, 12:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Earlier this year I purchased a 000-15SM fom a local shop and negotiated a price of 40% off. That compares to what some of the online retailers will do, and about like MF price with a 15% off coupon. I did have to pay sales tax, but got the benefit of actually seeing and playing it first, and keeping business local.

As far as this particular model - I've always been more of a flatpicker and dreadnaught type but absolutely love to play the 00-15SM!

Old December 4th, 2012, 01:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

You should always ask, keeping in mind they have the right to say no thanks. Just be up front and friendly.

As mentioned, the 15% deals at Guitar Center can usually be worked if you go in and talk to the manager of that department. You might not net that after local sales tax, but they often have room for more. I got about 19% before local sales tax, for 12.5% net savings off their price. I was really happy, since I had played a *lot* of guitars and ended up with the one I liked best. Plus, I don't actually begrudge the tax dollars - unfair advantage for online, IMHO.

Do not do to others what you do not want done to yourself. - Confucius
still_fiddlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2012, 09:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Check these folks out

http://www.maurysmusic.com/guitars

Old December 5th, 2012, 10:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Maury's has given me the best price so far.

Old December 5th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendingtens View Post
The best dealers will give you their "best" price south of published street price if you ask nice. I think Maury's is one. Elderly I know is another. I'd like to name a few notables that refuse, but I'll refrain.
PineBomb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2012, 11:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

I just picked up a OM-21 Special in Amberburst from Maury. I Highly recommend him.
Mazmoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2012, 09:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

There's one at nsfuffmusic.com under the used section for $850.
misterbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2012, 09:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbluesman View Post
There's one at nsfuffmusic.com under the used section for $850.
Is that a typo? I can't load that site.
backporchmusic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2012, 10:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by backporchmusic View Post
Is that a typo? I can't load that site.
Should be nstuffmusic.com the other poster had an f where a t should have been. I just talked to them today.
dragonfly66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2012, 10:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
I had a 00-15 and loved it. It sounded much better after putting a bone saddle in it. I was thinning the heard and installed the bone saddle in the guitar the day before meeting the buyer. I almost didn't sell the guitar because it sounded so much better. The bone saddle added string clarity, volume, and bottom end. I buy my saddles from Bob at guitarsaddles.com.

There is something about that 00-15 that I loved (all mahogany, light weight, easy to play, sounds good) so I did eventually replace it, but with an American 000-MM Custom from Breedlove.
dragonfly66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2012, 11:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I purchased my Martin from a small shop right in Nazareth. They discount at 60% list, a much better price than any place around where I live. Plus, being so close to the factory, they could get any model you wanted with just a phone call and more or less just pick it up.

My brother-in-law lives in Betlehem, so we are in the neighborhood at least 6 times a year.
ILoveLorita is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2012, 02:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLorita View Post
I purchased my Martin from a small shop right in Nazareth. They discount at 60% list, a much better price than any place around where I live. Plus, being so close to the factory, they could get any model you wanted with just a phone call and more or less just pick it up.

My brother-in-law lives in Betlehem, so we are in the neighborhood at least 6 times a year.
What's the name of the shop in Nazareth?

Old December 7th, 2012, 02:44 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Wait. My math skills aren't up to snuff. If they charge you 60% of list, that's the same thing as 40% off, which is basically what Maury's is charging. Is that right?

Old December 7th, 2012, 08:45 AM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
What's the name of the shop in Nazareth?
Nazareth Music Center

You should know that it is not the kind of store where you go in and play whatever is hanging from the wall. They make you wear an apron when you play, no picks are allowed and all guitars are kept in their cases in a separate room. You have to ask to try a specific guitar, then they go and get it for you. When you are done, they wipe the guitar down and put it back in its case.

It is definitely not a Guitar Center experience.

Jim
jwsamuel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2012, 08:46 AM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Wait. My math skills aren't up to snuff. If they charge you 60% of list, that's the same thing as 40% off, which is basically what Maury's is charging. Is that right?
That's correct.

Jim
jwsamuel is offline   Reply With Quote