'69 Martin D-18 Repair Dilemma - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Acoustic Heaven
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Acoustic Heaven Unplugged forum for acoustic players.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old November 30th, 2012, 04:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

'69 Martin D-18 Repair Dilemma

Almost 20 years ago, I bought a '69 Martin D-18 for $300. Why so cheap? It had tons of cracks and a half-dollar sized hole on the side. But Open chords sounded great, so I bought it.

The cracks got bigger, and I left it alone virtually unplayed for 10 years.

Four years ago, I took it to an authorized Martin guy in New York - Carlo Greco. For $500, he fixed the cracks, repaired the hole (with putty) and told me it didn't need a neck reset.

These days, it's obvious the thing needs a neck reset. But it's a '69 Martin, not super collectable, and I can't figure out if it is worth it or not.

Bill Neely, an authorized Martin repair guy here in LA told me it was absolutely not worth it. He said I should just sell the guitar - maybe get $1000 for it. Maybe.

But one of the repairmen at McCabe's in Santa Monica said Neely was wrong - the guitar was worth $2000 as is - they had just sold a mint '69 D-18 for $4000. They suggested sending it to Asken guitars - said maybe I'd have to put $800-$1000 in to it - but the end result would be an amazing sounding guitar, and I could absolutely get my money out of it should I sell it.

I took it to LA Guitars Sales in West Hollywood, and they confirmed with Neely said - don't put any more money into the thing.

So I am completely confused. Any thoughts?

bendingtens is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

When in doubt, do without.

Sounds like maybe you should sell this Martin, save the repair costs, and then buy another Martin that does not have these issues.

Good luck...

...Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours... llusions by Richard Bach
Big_Bend is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2012, 05:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Do yourself a favor and join the UMGF

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforu....com/directory

And ask some opinions over there.
ASC67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 1st, 2012, 01:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Sounds like a candidate for a Bryan Kimsey overhaul.
0018g is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 1st, 2012, 07:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I had a '64 martin d18 (last of the ones with kluson tuners/tortoise binding/tortoise pickguard) that had only a couple minor cracks (repaired) and had a neck reset and it played great. It was tough for me to get $2500 out of it. A '69 model with the big grover tuners, black binding, black pickguard, multiple bad cracks and a putty'd hole will be worth considerably less than it even.

I say only repair/reset neck if YOU love the guitar and want to keep it. As far as fixing it up to sell it, I wouldn't bother with the reset as I don't think you'll make enough extra on the guitar to pay for work. I kinda miss mine too if it means anything to ya. I say keep it!

Is the saddle shaved down pretty low? I'd drop it as low as possible before a reset but I wouldn't shave the bridge itself, just the saddle.
braderrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 1st, 2012, 07:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I've learned the hard way that thinking about a particular guitar and its potential resale value at the same time is the best way to make a big mistake.

If I've bonded with a guitar, I'll keep it no matter how much cash it might bring, and if I really have to get it repaired, I'll get it repaired regardless of repair costs.

I have a 40 year old Martin 0-18 with the undesirable large rosewood bridge plate instead of the coveted small maple one, braces that aren't scalloped or even tapered, just plain straight, a bridge and saddle that have both been shaved way too much, and it could be the poster child for a neck reset. That's how it was when I bought it.

However . . . It's a shocker. People play it for a few seconds, stop, look at in disbelief, compliment it, then play it some more, compliment it some more, etc. I've had offers over $2,000 for it, but I'm not gonna part with it, and I'm not gonna get it repaired until I absolutely have to.
H. Mac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 1st, 2012, 08:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0018g View Post
Sounds like a candidate for a Bryan Kimsey overhaul.
^This.

He's on this board, too.
Cooper Black is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 1st, 2012, 10:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

That's a tough decision. I have a 40 year old Gibson J50 which was my first guitar. It is in bad shape and recently got to the point where it isn't playable. I don't want to put the money into fixing it because it never really was a "great" guitar and I have a Martin. Have seen used ones in much better condition for $1500.

I doubt that it would be worth much as-is, so I just let it sit in the case and keep it for sentimental reasons. But I agree with H. Mac - if I really loved playing it, I'd get it fixed regardless of the cost or resale value.
Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 1st, 2012, 12:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendingtens View Post
Almost 20 years ago, I bought a '69 Martin D-18 for $300. Why so cheap? It had tons of cracks and a half-dollar sized hole on the side. But Open chords sounded great, so I bought it.

The cracks got bigger, and I left it alone virtually unplayed for 10 years.

Four years ago, I took it to an authorized Martin guy in New York - Carlo Greco. For $500, he fixed the cracks, repaired the hole (with putty) and told me it didn't need a neck reset.

These days, it's obvious the thing needs a neck reset. But it's a '69 Martin, not super collectable, and I can't figure out if it is worth it or not.

Bill Neely, an authorized Martin repair guy here in LA told me it was absolutely not worth it. He said I should just sell the guitar - maybe get $1000 for it. Maybe.

But one of the repairmen at McCabe's in Santa Monica said Neely was wrong - the guitar was worth $2000 as is - they had just sold a mint '69 D-18 for $4000. They suggested sending it to Asken guitars - said maybe I'd have to put $800-$1000 in to it - but the end result would be an amazing sounding guitar, and I could absolutely get my money out of it should I sell it.

I took it to LA Guitars Sales in West Hollywood, and they confirmed with Neely said - don't put any more money into the thing.

So I am completely confused. Any thoughts?
Odd statement.

If it is worth a kilobuck, it is worth a neck reset.

Acoustic guitars do no become old acoustic guitars without them.

Kimsey does good work.

"She's not only merely dead, she's really most sincerely dead." - The Munchkin Coroner
Buckocaster51 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old December 2nd, 2012, 04:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Is it a guitar or an investment? That answer will tell you what to do.

The guys at the shop are thinking of the bottom line and that is fine. But if you still love the sound and love playing it, get the reset and keep it for life.
jimd is online now   Reply With Quote

Old December 2nd, 2012, 04:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Are you in NYC? If so, go to Mandolin Bros. on Staten Island. They'll give you good advice and if you decide to have it repaired, they'll do a great job.
max_twang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 2nd, 2012, 04:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I lived in NYC for 12 years, and stupidly never went to Mandolin Brothers.

I'm in LA now.

I've never had any attachment to the guitar. Neely said it would need a neck reset, a new bridge, and fretwork. His point was "why put 800 into a guitar that's only going to be worth $1200 when you're done."

Old December 2nd, 2012, 06:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I think you just answered your question -- if you never had any attachment to the guitar, don't put the bux into it. If you ever get to SI, be sure to visit Mandolin -- very worth the trip.

edit -- Stan Jay would probably be willing to tell you what the guitar is worth in its current condition and if you repaired it. Prob. worth the phone call.
max_twang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2012, 09:56 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I agree 100%. Just put the money into it if YOU love it and want to keep it. I don't think there will be enough value added after the repairs to justify the costs of the repairs.

Old December 3rd, 2012, 02:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I am still trying to get past the patching of the hole with wood putty rather than grafting a piece of mahogany. If you keep the guitar you might add having the hole fixed properly to your list.

Old December 3rd, 2012, 03:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

It doesn't sound like you love it. That being the case, get rid of it.

For a guitar you love, cost of maintenance is not an issue.
20721 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2012, 11:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Have you ever seen Willie Nelson's guitar "Trigger"? It looks like someone tossed a grenade through it.

Bottom line...if it's got a killer tone, it doesn't matter how the heck it looks. A neck job is going to cost less than a thousand bucks. Who cares if it has a hole in it?

On the other hand, if it has a crummy tone, junk it. There are a lot of guitars out there that have great tones, so why waste your time on a stinker?

Last edited by Old Has Been; December 4th, 2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old Has Been is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2012, 01:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Update:

I've decided to not kick this old gal to the curb just yet. I'm taking it Bill Asher in January - I think she's still got a lot of life left in her.

Old December 6th, 2012, 02:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

TJ Thompson
phatplat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Well good, I think you may like it a little better than we thought... May as well make it the best it can be.