best choice for life on the beach - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Acoustic Heaven
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Acoustic Heaven Unplugged forum for acoustic players.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old November 11th, 2012, 11:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

best choice for life on the beach

Lets say a guy promised his wife he could scale back to ONE acoustic guitar to help facilitate a retirement move to a small bungalow on the gulf side of Florida....what would be the best choice, given the conditions,temp, humidity, SALT air, etc. something like a brass bodied national, or perhaps a carbon fiber /composite ...or maybe it doesnt matter....tell me more about "beach" guitars

bgwatts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2012, 11:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

A telecaster!

Old November 12th, 2012, 01:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

If you can make do with a slightly smaller size, consider a Taylor GS Mini. I love mine to death. It won't replace my J45, but it's a very versatile and low maintenance piece.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old November 12th, 2012, 01:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Gotta give a +1 on a Taylor. I have a Taylor Big Baby that stays in my vacation condo closet, mostly ignored. Every time I play it I'm amazed at how easy it plays and how good it sounds. Inexpensive too.
coloradojeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2012, 08:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

My vote is for any decent regular full size acoustic. I'm partial to my Gibson WM-45. I don't care about the salt and all, just keep the guitar clean and put away when not in use. You'll probably have to change the strings more often but thats fine.

If I can only play one guitar from now on, its gota be a good one.

Have fun...

...Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours... llusions by Richard Bach
Big_Bend is online now   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2012, 09:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I can make you a good deal on a 15-year old Larivee D-03 if you're willing to pop for the shipping from Europe. Just a thought . . .

"Its our limitations that make us individuals" - Bill Frisell
howlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2012, 10:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

If you are looking for a guitar that is not affected by climate as much as solid wood guitars, I'd look at Composite Acoustics or Rainsong. Both are made with carbon fiber and other man-made materials. That leaves them largely unaffected by humidity changes and heat.

They sound great. In fact, when I first heard a CA guitar, the guy at the guitar shop had me turn around when he pulled it out just so I would not see which was the CA and which was a Taylor.

Jim
jwsamuel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2012, 03:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Something cheap and replaceable and hopefully you won't have to. Full composite is probably worth a consideration for something better. Baby Taylor or Mini is a good choice in between. If you plan on sitting in the sand by the fire, I wouldn't take a Martin or Gibson.
"Blues is a natural fact, is something that a fellow lives. If you don't live it you don't have it. Young people have forgotten to cry the blues. Now they talk and get lawyers and things. " - Big Bill Broonzy
telleutelleme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

A Martin made of HPL. $409 retail, $280 most places.

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/...le-martin.html

Old November 12th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Without hesitation, the Yamaha FG700S.
el cheapo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

clarification

Don't need to downsize the GUITAR, just the "collection"...not looking for a "campfire on the beach" instrument..but one that that wont get ruined by salt air because of LIVING next to the water. Or is this even a real issue? I assume I should avoid things like GOLD hardware, etc..but would it be a mistake to say..keep my Gibson Advanced Jumbo ..would I be ruining it? or am I over thinking it..maybe its just strings that are the issue(which isn't really a problem at all.) I just know that BICYCLES dont fair well in that enviornment..but they are made of METAL...Do regular ol wooden guitars hold up?

Old November 12th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I live under 500 feet from the north Atlantic. Salt in the air affects some exposed metal that's outside all the time, but I've never heard of anyone around here say the salt air had a negative impact on a guitar. The changes in temperature and humidity do affect all my guitars to some degree, but a setup always fixes that.
Chadw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2012, 07:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

My old Ibanez acoustic has spent the last 30 yrs on or near the beach.. never been in a case in it's life.. just hangs on the wall or leaning on something in the lounge room...

I can't say the salt air/humidity has had any effect on the guitar.... apart from some chrome on the tuners tarnishing a bit and the strings looking a bit grungy if you don't play them often enough...

a quick wipe/polish and it'll be fine....;)
"by degrees the flood of music drove all speculations out of his mind. It was as though it were a kind of liquid stuff that poured all over him and got mixed up with the sunlight that filtered through the leaves."
trev333 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

ah HA!

Thank you...I knew there would be somebody who lives in that situation..Looks like Ill get to hang on to my Gibson..

Old November 12th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

why not check out a quality classic/nylon string guitar?..

no rust worries there..;)
"by degrees the flood of music drove all speculations out of his mind. It was as though it were a kind of liquid stuff that poured all over him and got mixed up with the sunlight that filtered through the leaves."
trev333 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I've lived near the water all my life. I've had my beloved 29 year old Japanese vintage Hohner Arbor series G-940 acoustic in all kinds of climatic conditions. It's been halfway around the world and back, having been with me in the island nation of Papua New Guinea. Lots of rain, plus I lived in a coastal town, so we also dealt with the humid, salt air of the South Pacific. No central AC there, just a house up on stilts. It was so humid that often I had to wipe mold off of the leather strap!

Now I live in Corpus Christi, Texas, a city in the coastal bend of South Texas. My house is 3 blocks from the bay. Now, though, I have central heat and AC. However, I play outdoors a lot, at house parties, open mic events, etc. I've literally had strings corrode in the course of an evening. More than once I've changed strings the day of an outdoor gig, playing on someone's deck overlooking the channel. I would play 3+ hours, look down and the strings were corroded.

Once in such a setting, I was asked to do an encore number, and I didn't make it all the way through the first verse before I broke a brand new, changed that day string. Of course, I said to the audience/partygoers, "Sorry, I have to quit for the night. I just lost my G string!"

I've said all of this to say that climatic conditions down here in the "armpit" (i.e., a bend that is hot and sticky ) of the Texas coast are definitely humid and corrosive, and these conditions wreck havoc on guitar strings. And yes, also on guitar tuning machines, to some extent. But in all the years, I've never had it damage the structure or the finish of one of my acoustic guitars. Mind you, I do wipe them off after performing, and clean them up later with Meguiar's Mist & Wipe Quik Detailer.

The soon to be famous musician/Cranks out Top 40 tunes in a bar/While his mind is somewhere on vacation/Far away from his voice and guitar
Bob Bennett
LGOberean is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I've heard great things about Rainsong...
Starrman44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

If you get a metal-bodied resonator guitar, you could probably develop a fantastic patina on the body from the salt air. A spider bridge resonator (Weber Bandit) is my main acoustic guitar and if I had to downsize to one guitar, it's what I'd choose.

Under the circumstances, I'd recommend against keeping a guitar you already have. If you're getting rid of all your guitars, the least you could do is get a new guitar out of it.
King Creole is online now   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2012, 06:34 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I dont know about everyone else but i love elixer strings because it takes forever for them to corrode. I have a set of elixers on one electric and a set of D'Addarrio XL on another. The D'Addarrio's took less than a month to corrode while the elixers were still brand new. Nothing pisses me off more than corroded strings.
JurassicCactus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2012, 02:10 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Back when I was single, I lived on a sailboat. You can't get closer to living on the ocean than that, unless you happen to be a fish and live in it. I kept a Seagull S-6 aboard the whole time -about nine years or so. I didn't choose it for any other reason than I liked its sound and playing feel the best out of the acoustics I had at the time -four Ovations, a Taylor, and a Santa Cruz.... Not because it was cheap... Not because the body was plywood.... Because I only had room for one, so I brought the one I LIKED BEST.

I'd do the same if retired to the Florida Gulf Coast.

Actually, I wouldn't... I'd take all my guitars and wouldn't make any vows to downsize. I want to enjoy retirement when I get there. I had guitars before I had a wife. I expect to have many more before I rotate off the mortal coil. I don't expect my dulcet darling to get her nose out of joint over it. If she does, she can find her own way to the door and not let it hit her on her, uh, well.......

I guess I have different priorities. Downsizing my guitar collection isn't high among them.

I'll move on by saying that if I had a good J-45, there is no way on God's Earth that it and I wouldn't be enjoying life together to the bitter end.
Tele-Caster is offline   Reply With Quote