Sigma DR 35 - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Acoustic Heaven
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Acoustic Heaven Unplugged forum for acoustic players.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 16th, 2011, 10:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Sigma DR 35

Greetings, this is my first foray into the accoustic forum, as I spend 99.9% of my time at tdpri over at the amps and cabs forum. Enough digressing.

I have a 1980 Sigma DR 35 with a decent, though marked up hard shell case (I believe it is a Guild case). I recently had the guitar worked over by a top notch repair shop in Toronto, and it is 100%. Aside from a few obvious scuffs here and there, it is in very good condition, with a beautifully aged spruce top and 3 piece rose wood back. One of my neighbours is in love with the guitar, so I have contemplated selling it to him as I never play it, and it sat for three years before I took it into the shop (last fall))to have it set up properly. Does anyone have any idea what a fair price would be? I paid $550for it new, and the case was $150 at the time.
Cheers.

Jared Purdy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2011, 11:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

$550 NEW sounds like a lot for a Sigma in 1980- I know they were basically Martin-spec imports, and I have played a few, very nice. But I thought they were like in the $250-$400 area...Is this an all solid wood guitar?

Old June 16th, 2011, 11:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiogtr4x View Post
$550 NEW sounds like a lot for a Sigma in 1980- I know they were basically Martin-spec imports, and I have played a few, very nice. But I thought they were like in the $250-$400 area...Is this an all solid wood guitar?
I don't remember what the Canadian $ was back then, but that may have had some effect on the price. However, no one who knew that I bought it thought the price was unreasonable.

I can't be certain if it is solid wood. The spruce top is definately solid, as for the sides and back? Not sure. The grain pattern on the outside of the back matches the grain pattern inside the guitar.

As an aside, I just saw one on Ebay that sold for $560 without a case.

I'm thinking $500.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 16th, 2011, 11:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Well that was fairly easy. I asked for $500 and he thought it was a great offer. Sold!

Old June 16th, 2011, 12:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Cool! Great price! I bet it's a sweet guitar too

win-win!

Old June 16th, 2011, 01:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiogtr4x View Post
Cool! Great price! I bet it's a sweet guitar too

win-win!
I always felt that it was an "okay" guitar. Honestly, the only reason I've kept it all these years was purely sentimental. If and when I decide to get another, I'll be looking at Larivee, Wren, Manzer, Martin, Gibson. I've been bit hard by the electric thing though, so much so that when I play an accoustic, mt heart is just not in it.

Old June 16th, 2011, 04:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I Love my Martin (just a 1993 D-1, but we are basically married now) but if you like dreadnoughts, the Larrivee D3R (basically a D-28 in a satin finish) is a hell of a guitar for around $1000; of course, so are their big $$ guitars....