The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Acoustic Heaven
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Acoustic Heaven Unplugged forum for acoustic players.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 16th, 2009, 09:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Help with information on a Epiphone FT-150

I was just in a pawn shop and found an Epiphone FT-150 Acoustic.

(LINK TO PAGE OF STORE SELLING SAME MODEL)

Serial number is: 1120618

A 70's Japanese period acoustic. It has a solid top, which is good but a bolt on neck, which I'm generally turned off by immediately.

But this thing sounded really good!

Reviews on the net suggest it's a good guitar, I'm just hoping someone can point me in the direction of a good site to date the serial number?

Anyone have one of these baby's?

They want $395 Aus for it, but they've been taking some pretty ridiculous requests for deals lately with the global economic crisis!

Old March 16th, 2009, 09:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I believe the 1st number is the year and the next two is the month, so 1 is probably 1971, 12 is December. You will get more help on the Epi forum.
dqami is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2009, 07:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

trying to find Epi forum

Can you point me in the right direction to get to this forum? I have one of these guitars and am trying to place value...have played since I was 13 (way long time ago) and the FT150 I have is from the 70's.

Sweet sound....
Genie001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Sponsored by...

Old April 2nd, 2009, 10:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Try here :
http://forums.epiphone.com/Default.aspx?g=topics&f=3
Hopefully you can get some info there.

- Jay

Old April 3rd, 2009, 12:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Here's also a forum you can post your question to. A lot of knowledgeable people about early Japanese acoustics.
http://www.guitarsite.com/database/Guitars/rec/295/
dqami is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2009, 06:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I almost bought an FT-150 a few years ago (lost out in a eBay bidding war). I've played the 6 and the 12 string versions of this model and like them a lot. They have lots of 70s character.

Epi acoustics of the era have bolt-on necks, which look a bit odd on an acoustic. They have four screws and a neck plate very much like a Fender neck plate. The page you sent us to doesn't picture the neck/body joint, so you might not expect it.

There's one on the Pittsburgh Craigslist for $175. It might already be gone (maybe there's a Pittburgh-based TDPRIer who could pick it up and ship it to you). Here's a pic from that one showing the neck plate:

This model was called The Bard. Good luck!!

Old July 24th, 2010, 03:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

it couldn't be

I have an Epiphone FT 150 BARD Norlin Lincolnwood made in Japan and the serial no. is 1160880. Now we don't have a 16th month.

satish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dqami View Post
I believe the 1st number is the year and the next two is the month, so 1 is probably 1971, 12 is December. You will get more help on the Epi forum.
bluedolphin1399 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2010, 02:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardWitt View Post
I was just in a pawn shop and found an Epiphone FT-150 Acoustic.

A 70's Japanese period acoustic. It has a solid top, which is good but a bolt on neck, which I'm generally turned off by immediately.

But this thing sounded really good!

Reviews on the net suggest it's a good guitar, I'm just hoping someone can point me in the direction of a good site to date the serial number?

Anyone have one of these baby's?

They want $395 Aus for it, but they've been taking some pretty ridiculous requests for deals lately with the global economic crisis!
I've got my old FT-145 beside me as I write this. I play the dog* outta mine and have since the early 1970's. I love mine.

I don't know about the serial numbers making all that much sense. I'm not certain there's any real way to know. If you find a way, let us know. My S/N is on a sticker on the bolt-on-neck-plate and is mostly faded and worn off anyway.

One thing to watch out for on these old made-in-Japan Epiphones is that the tops can cave-in between the base of the neck that the top of the sound hole. Examine the top of the guitar in that area VERY closely. If it's not straight, avoid it. I'd be afraid of ANY strange looking undulation in that area; there may have been a repair, too. There have been many cases of this failure with this series (bolt-on necks).

Having said that, if it's straight after all these years, go for it! I wouldn't put heavy strings on it (why tempt fate?), but there's not much need for heavy strings on one anyway.

Have to mention this - I got mine when a buddy couldn't afford to get it out of pawn. As I recall, it took $21 to get the pawn ticket for it. I'd sell it, but it would take a LOT more than that.

On second thought, I wouldn't sell it...

"Before I speak, I have something important to say."

Groucho Marx
younkint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2010, 06:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Well, I registered here only because I found this thread.

I have an Epiphone FT 150 BARD Norlin Lincolnwood made in Japan, from 1980.

Time ago I found this web that helped me about finding old guitars through serial n║.
http://www.guitardaterproject.org

In this case, if you're looking for your bard, click on "Epiphone". (right menu)
I putted mine's serial (80021512) and FT-150 where it says "model" and it told me:

Guitar Info
Your guitar was made in
Korea
February c.1980
Production Number: 1512

Anyway, I believe it's made in Japan.

Moreover, If I search for "Epiphone FT-150" it seems to be a pretty similar guitar as mine's except for the headstock and the -I don't know how to say it- hole inlays
I think it's because the 1980 made of.

Good to find more Bard owners!!
lukyluk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2010, 06:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Pd. Agreeing to wath the page said to me, you can guess that the two first numbers is the year, two next is the month and the other the production number

80 = 1980

02 = February

1512 = Production number

I don't know if it's true but... i believe it is

Hope I helped you
lukyluk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2013, 08:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

About Epiphone acoustics data base.

The Epiphone serial number decoder currently supports 11 Serial number formats from 25 factories. Vintage numbers from 1932 to 1970 are now supported. serial numbers from 70' and 80's era Epiphone guitars made in Japan are not supported. The reason for this is that there is no reliable documentation from this time period. More information about this can be found in the FAQ. Please post any comments, particularly bugs in the user feedback section.

This quote comes from:
http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx

VALENCIA BLUES SOCIETY - SOCIEDAD DE BLUES DE VALENCIA
Blessed By the Smokestack Lightnin┤
Javier Tijuana is offline   Reply With Quote