69-71' YAMAHA RED LABEL OWNERS CLUB _ Please SIGN IN ;-) - Page 4 - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Acoustic Heaven
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Acoustic Heaven Unplugged forum for acoustic players.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 21st, 2010, 06:55 PM   #61 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

I have a Red Label FG 230 Nippon Gakki made in Japan. Serial number 628028. Can anyone tell me what year or anything about this guitar?

Sixstings is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2010, 12:11 PM   #62 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

YAMARTIN
I got Yamaha FG140 back from the repair shop. The thing sounds great. I've set aside
my Martin HD28 for awhile and put the FG140 beside my chair and enjoying the tone and loudness. When I picked it up at the music store two young guys had it out playing while I bought a new hard shell case for it. As group we decided when uncle Ray converted the Yamaha to a Martin not only did he sand the Yamaha name off the headstock he also sawed the cliff off. Removed the Red Label and changed out the tuners to Grover pat. pending and put a Martin decal on it. He went all the way before he gave it to my uncle Luther. I am looking forward to showing off the guitar this weekend at my mountain cabin. I've got some old buddies coming up that have bend getting together
for over twenty years. We make music, play poker, shoot firearms and talk about women we never had and drank a little.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002 resize.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	39856   Click image for larger version

Name:	005 resize.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	39857  
orph131 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2010, 03:23 PM   #63 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Does anybody have any ideas for tuner replacements?

I'm also considering swapping the adjustable bridge to a traditional style. Any advice?
Mayo5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 5th, 2010, 03:41 PM   #64 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Sure it's ply - but it's Brazilian ply...

One thing - the necks vary wildly on these things. Came across a pickguard-less FG300 in a snooty store in Brooklyn that had a baseball bat neck (like I like 'em) - I was floored !

My neck is average Yamaha dimensions and after playing one of my Tele's it seems huge but I should have bought the other one and performed pickguard transplant surgery !

Lastly : Paul Hostetter (famous luthier) seems to think that the higher-end Yamahas w/ ply tops had all the plys running the same direction - one of the reasons they sound good.

I don't know about that, but I do know that mine is a monster and it has some waviness to the top (had some braces subsequently re-glued) I don't think it would have any distortion it it was cross-ply.

Who knows ?

Old February 9th, 2010, 07:12 PM   #65 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Eskimo View Post

Sure it's ply - but it's Brazilian ply...

One thing - the necks vary wildly on these things. Came across a pickguard-less FG300 in a snooty store in Brooklyn that had a baseball bat neck (like I like 'em) - I was floored !

My neck is average Yamaha dimensions and after playing one of my Tele's it seems huge but I should have bought the other one and performed pickguard transplant surgery !

Lastly : Paul Hostetter (famous luthier) seems to think that the higher-end Yamahas w/ ply tops had all the plys running the same direction - one of the reasons they sound good.

I don't know about that, but I do know that mine is a monster and it has some waviness to the top (had some braces subsequently re-glued) I don't think it would have any distortion it it was cross-ply.

Who knows ?
Yours looks fantastic and appears to be in great shape!

Mine is also a tone monster, but I am considering the switch to a traditional bone bridge instead of the adjustable.
Mayo5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2010, 09:13 PM   #66 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I have a '69 (at least that's what Yamaha told me) FG 300. A little worn from all the years but it has a sweet sound that I love and haven't been able to find in any other guitar. I've had it for 10 years, traded an old Ruger .22 pistol for it. It's at the shop getting the tuners replaced right now but I'll post some pics when they get it done.
DZ302 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2010, 09:47 PM   #67 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaul View Post
Thanks. I did a little research and it seems there's not a lot of reliable info from Yamaha on these things.

From what I can tell the FG 45, FG 75 and FG 110 are all very similar. I'm trying to figure out what the differences are but not much luck. Does anyone here know? Or is there a Yamaha acoustic forum out there somewhere I should try?
FG45, don't know. FG75 is ladder braced, IMO a classical guitar w/steel strings--often cannons. FG110, small jumbo body, as well as FG150, FG170, FG331, FG330, SJ180.
JLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2010, 10:46 AM   #68 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Hey Mayo5,
If you do decide to go for the bridge replacement, Please think of me. I am in need of the height adjust screws to complete my restoation of my FG 300. I would be glad to purchase it from you.
Thanks in advance.
John (valky guy)
valky guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2010, 01:10 PM   #69 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Yamaha FG 75 ?

I have a Fg 75 Red Label Nippon Gakki Guitar that is outstanding condition. Was told it sat in it's case for years by previous owner. I have played it now for many years along with my 71 Fg110 . My question has always been why is there no serial # on it ? It has the K stamp inside a circle above the red label, which I have seen before . Some kind of stamp below the neck inside ...but looks like the edges of something ...not a serial #. Read on Ebay some of the first made may not have had numbers , but dont know. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT.

Also tryed to place a classified here and it didnt work ? Have a 1983 Fg 345 II for sale if anyone is interested .
jimmid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #70 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS1 View Post
FG75 is ladder braced, IMO a classical guitar w/steel strings--often cannons.
These are in the parlor lineup of acoustic guitars. What we call a classic (not classical) acoustic shape. The original flat tops were all pretty much this shape and a little smaller at concert size or smaller. They have a small neck by comparison to a classical guitar and can handle heavier strings. These were the most popular sized and shape acoustic for early country, blues, folk artists due to their mass availability and the perfect volume for vocal accompaniment.

The FG75 is pushing more towards an auditorium sized acoustic. In Martin speak that would be a OOO. These are just about the perfect sized bodies for vocal accompaniment un-miked and are also just big enough for most ensembles but not really loud enough for keeping up with banjo and Dobro (better would be a Dreadnought, but then it would not be perfect for vocal accompaniment un-miked).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmid View Post
My question has always been why is there no serial # on it ?
There should be a number stamped inside the sound hole at the butt of the neck. If not it could have been left off. Does it say Made In Japan on the back of the headstock?
mojoming is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2010, 03:14 PM   #71 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Hey thanks ....does not say made in japan on back of headstock?....always wondered if it came off or ?....there is no serial # anywhere...it is a mystery...everything else appears original ?????

Old February 15th, 2010, 03:31 PM   #72 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Hey thanks ....does not say made in japan on back of headstock?....always wondered if it came off or ?....there is no serial # anywhere...it is a mystery...everything else appears original ?????
The Nappon Gakki's and the Taiwan made red labels are identically made and look identical. For some reason the MIJ's fetch more money, maybe because people think a Taiwanese made product has to be inferior to a Japanese made one? People claim the Taiwan made versions are not up to spec to their Japanese made counterparts. I've owned both the MIT's and MIJ's and I've not seen it. I'm sure there's duds out there but mine have all sounded great. I've seen more flaws in my MIJ's than MIT's if that means anything? Little issues with over stain on the necks, glue work, but nothing even to write home about.

On yours I suspect someone pulled that Nappon label from a broken guitar and replaced a non-Nappon Gakki label with it? = $$$ on the market. But who knows??? It would be easy to remove the "Made in Taiwan" decal on the back of the headstock and rub off the serial on the inside of guitar. Even easier if you own both of the same model and one got run over by a VW bus.

Old February 16th, 2010, 10:48 AM   #73 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Thanks..I also thought about that ...I have collected guitars ( mostly Yamahas) for 30 years and if someone went to all that for $120 Yamaha I am truely amazed ! Also they did such a great job I would say thier talent is wasted and they should move on to big ticket items !
Tha K stamp with the circle and the label are too perfect looking in my opinion to be tampered with, and the gentleman I bought it from did not appear to be a scammer !!
That being said ...I may have been had but I still refuse to believe there is someone with that low of aim out there !:))) If I knew how to post a pic here I would show you what I'm talking about...if it's a fake ...whoever did it is REAL GOOD . There is one opinion out there that it could be one of the first made and they just didnt put #'s on for some reason unknown. Either way it's a sweet sounding little thing ! Thanks for getting back to me !

Old February 16th, 2010, 03:57 PM   #74 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Either way it's a sweet sounding little thing!
There's your answer. If it sounds great you did not get had. With the FG75 the price difference between the MIT and MIJ's is marginal. Maybe $25 tops? They seem to hover around $100 to $125 for either.

Old February 16th, 2010, 04:18 PM   #75 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Thanks for your insight...So now I have ...
FG 75...???
FG 110 ...1971 Red Label NG
FG 335II...1980/81 Tia
FG 345II...1983 Tia
FG 400...1988 Tia
APX 500...200? ( the onboard tuner got me in a weak moment !)

I want to sell the 345II ( $250)... if anybody is interested. Tryed putting an ad up ...it didnt work ?

Old February 16th, 2010, 09:55 PM   #76 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

yeah those MIJ stickers were frequently removed evidently way back, when MIJ was embarrassing to some folks...`course it isn`t anymore, and has gone in completely the opposite direction...it is now desirable, people are funny eh. I have 30 Yamaha Dynamics and another 14 of the early 1960`s classical types and every one has a serial, the oldest has a 3 digit serial and I`m told it dates to the early `50s. But once the FGs came on line in`66 things seemed to have changed...and recent evidence says before Yamaha opened their own plant in `66 those Dynamics were built by somebody else for Yamaha, Suzuki is one name that has popped up and they had been building guitars for a long time so seems plausible. But the FGs...some have serials some don`t and record keeping wasn`t a priority so it`s really hard getting precise data on the early stuff. Of all my Yamahas only one still has the small MIJ sticker on the back of the headstock.

Old February 19th, 2010, 10:18 AM   #77 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

FG75 dating

Hi- just discovered this great thread - looking forward to going slowly through every word and pic.
I have a red-label FG75, Made in Japan sticker on back of headstock, which I found being kicked around the floor of a bar in Nong Khai, North-East Thailand YESTERDAY. Just 4 strings, tuners almost seized, and one bridge-pin gone long ago. Obviously, I am going to bring it back to the best it can be.
My question right now is 'just' about dating it: 7-digit Serial No: 1239126 stamped in the usual place at the back of the heel. Any thoughts ?

Thanks for all the cool posts.
halfmadhalfmod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2010, 04:59 PM   #78 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

my guess would be 1971...usualy the first # is the year....nice find !!!!!

Old February 20th, 2010, 05:54 AM   #79 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

FG-75 dating.

Quote:
my guess would be 1971...usualy the first # is the year....nice find !!!!!
Thanks for the swift reaction JIMMID, yeah, that was my guess.
It's testament to their basically strong construction that the FG-75 I found has been bashed (dents all along the back of the neck), scratched and generally used+abused by legions of travellers passing through the bar, but is still structurally ok ! Not that much fret-wear, so I imagine they must have had hard wire when new.

Thanks again!
halfmadhalfmod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2010, 12:28 PM   #80 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

new find

Recently found a red label Nippon Gakki FG-75 in a charity shop in the UK paid 14.99. Made in Japan but no serial, mysterious K stamp above red label. Having difficulties lowering action. The guitar itself is in pretty good condition but would like a lower action to get some real playability any tips would be appreciated. Also anyone know if the pegs should be sticking out this far?

thanks for reading
andrew_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote