Recommend A Good, Inexpensive 12 String - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Acoustic Heaven
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Acoustic Heaven Unplugged forum for acoustic players.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old April 29th, 2008, 01:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Recommend A Good, Inexpensive 12 String

Got a hankering for the big sound of an acoustic 12 string.
never owned one before. how about some suggestions .... as in best bang for the buck on a very limited budget.

Old April 29th, 2008, 03:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I got an old Yamaha FG420/12 second hand, for about $100. Works fine, nice full bassy sound. There are a few Yamaha 12 strings on ebay from $90-$200.

Old April 29th, 2008, 03:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

If you can get one get a Vintage V400-12
philbool is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old April 29th, 2008, 03:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Doctor of Teleocity

Cheap can be dangerous with an acoustic 12-string! Lotta structural tension from those strings. As far as new, I'd feel fairly safe with a Seagull S-12 (under $600 at MF) like this one:

One of the nicest 12-string acoustics that I've ever played at any price was a Larrivee a few years ago. It was around $1200, if I recall correctly. Sweet! Guilds rock, too.

My brother has an old Italian-made EKO copy of a Gibson that's surprisingly playable AND toneful. One quirk: the string spacing is normal at the nut, but at the bridge all of the strings are equally distant from each other. As in not doubled like up at the nut. Still, it plays great. Go figure! (He's been threatening to sell it, let me know if you want me to get a price from him).

Cheers, Tim
Tim Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2008, 04:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for the responses fellas!

what do you think of this Agile?:

http://www.rondomusic.com/hrb20012.html

Old April 29th, 2008, 04:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

twelve strings have a lot of tension so having a solid top is very important and i don't know if that agile 12 string has a solid top. I have an alvarez AD60-12 which has a solid top. I got it and a case for $250 on ebay. I added a fishman pickup to it as well and it sounds really good. too bad i don't play it anymore
weiner71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2008, 04:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

+1 on the Seagull but they have a cheaper version that I believe just came out in the $400 range. It has a solid cedar top and is so smooth to play. I felt like I was playing a six string it was that smooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Armstrong View Post
Cheap can be dangerous with an acoustic 12-string! Lotta structural tension from those strings. As far as new, I'd feel fairly safe with a Seagull S-12 (under $600 at MF) like this one:

One of the nicest 12-string acoustics that I've ever played at any price was a Larrivee a few years ago. It was around $1200, if I recall correctly. Sweet! Guilds rock, too.

My brother has an old Italian-made EKO copy of a Gibson that's surprisingly playable AND toneful. One quirk: the string spacing is normal at the nut, but at the bridge all of the strings are equally distant from each other. As in not doubled like up at the nut. Still, it plays great. Go figure! (He's been threatening to sell it, let me know if you want me to get a price from him).

Cheers, Tim
mikespe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by hekawi View Post
Thanks for the responses fellas!

what do you think of this Agile?:

http://www.rondomusic.com/hrb20012.html
Agile's are excellent guitars but I don't have this one (I have an LP copy. However, based on my minimal experience the round-backs sound fantastic plugged in but unplugged they lack the fullness of a regular 12 string.
mikespe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2008, 05:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Great, go for it!
A 12-string guitar is the most beautiful sounding instrument (IMHO) in the world.

This is just my opinion based on some knowledge but - the "acoustic 12-string tension" thing is pretty much an old wive's tale.

This is a common excuse for why some people think they have to de-tune acoustic 12s (and use a capo).

It may have been true 70 years ago but with modern construction techniques is not nearly as relevant anymore.

As far as recommendation goes, if one can buy a Martin, "buy a Martin:"

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/...=z&g=n&m=D12X1

As I've posted elsewhere, GE Smith played my D12X1 and it was the sweetest thing I ever heard in my life.
FirstBassman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2008, 06:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Try a Simon Patrick if you can, same company as Seagull. I got mine 15 years ago and it's still going strong, althought the cedar top is starting to "relic" naturally from heavy strumming. Actually it was my heavy-metal buddy who loved doing speed versions of Beatles songs on it...
Telarkaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

If you can spend $500, the Martin D12X1 is fantastic. The startabond necks are bulletbroof. I can put mine in a frozen car trunk and take it out and the set up and tuning are perfect. I've had my D12X1 for a couple years now; it was an upgrade from an Epi.

At $330, the Yamaha FG720 - 12 String is a great solid top guitar. They are available everywhere and I prefer the tone and feel over a Seagull (and Seagulls are generally best bargain bets)

Yamaha 12 String Linky

John

"The rock and roll business is pretty absurd, but the world of serious music is much worse." - Frank Zappa
studio1087 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2008, 11:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Telefied

I got a righteous 70's Takamine 12 for 250.00... it is a great instrument worthy of 12-1500.00 instruments....

Old April 30th, 2008, 12:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Yup...old Getbent beat me to it..if you can find one of those 70 Takumine Martin copies, they are the best...mine was $369...our 1978 tax return and its a sweetheart...D28-12 copy
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2008, 01:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio1087 View Post
If you can spend $500, the Martin D12X1 is fantastic. The startabond necks are bulletbroof. I can put mine in a frozen car trunk and take it out and the set up and tuning are perfect.
Um, maybe you can do that, but it's certainly not recommended.

Old April 30th, 2008, 03:00 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

+1 for buying a used 12 stringy.

A lot of people love the sound, but after they buy one they get a bit disenchanted with them. Maybe they only use them for one or two songs, it becomes a pain to re-string, or maybe it's just too hard to tune. Anyway for a multitude of reasons people turn them loose. Give a go at finding a used one. JMO
RickG501 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2008, 05:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Used Larrivee DO3-12

Got one in mint shape for $500, with a hard case on ebay. Something I always wanted to have without spending a lot on
johnnykf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2008, 07:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbent View Post
I got a righteous 70's Takamine 12 for 250.00... it is a great instrument worthy of 12-1500.00 instruments....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Miller View Post
Yup...old Getbent beat me to it..if you can find one of those 70 Takumine Martin copies, they are the best...mine was $369...our 1978 tax return and its a sweetheart...D28-12 copy
Yet another vote for a used Takamine. I got mine at GC for $179!!!! It's my Number One guitar at the moment (sorry Teles). I can't get over the lush sound. I put a Fishman Neo-D single-coil soundhole pickup in it and it sounds great amplified (into the PA from my L.R. Baggs Para Acoustic DI).

I've also recently seen (at GC) a 1970s Epiphone 12-string Bard for under $200. Good deals are out there. Keep looking and playing.

There are a couple of under-$200 12-strings (Fender, Mitchell, Epiphone). I find them to be of the quality of $99 6-string guitars. If you think a high action and poor setup are rough on a 6, just wait until you try it on a 12. That's why I recommend going up the price ladder a bit or watching for a great deal on a used 12.

Here's a stock pic of my Tak. Mine doesn't have the lawsuit headstock:

Old April 30th, 2008, 09:32 AM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickG501 View Post
+1 for buying a used 12 stringy.

A lot of people love the sound, but after they buy one they get a bit disenchanted with them. Maybe they only use them for one or two songs,

Yeah, I've heard this before too.
Which, of course, doesn't make any sense.
If people "love the sound" why only use them for only one or two songs.

A lot of people look upon 12-strings as a one-trick-pony.
I think 12-strings (acoustic or electric) are a lot more versatile than people give them credit for.

There's another thread here about popular songs with 12's in them.
That's a lot of songs.

12's work with blues, folk, jazz, bluegrass, anything.

Old April 30th, 2008, 11:56 AM   #19 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for the recommendations/suggestions/advice guys! i'm gonna go looking in the local shops for used ones first, and then move on from there if they don't have one that fits the bill. i'm a little apprehensive about the ebay route, 'cause i like to play a guitar before i buy.

in the meantime, check out what Jimi could do on a 12:

Old April 30th, 2008, 12:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Yup.

There's a history behind that guitar, by the way.

And ... one of my favorite SRV clips: