Telecaster Guitar Forum - View Single Post - humbuckers, single coils... help!
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

View Single Post
Old October 31st, 2003, 11:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
KokoTele

Formerly known as Eryque
Doctor of Teleocity

Fender has done various little things with the tele over the years, so it could be a factory job, it could be a mod done by its owner. I don't know of any model like you describe from the early 80s, but there's lots I don't know.

One thing you might try is to remove your control plate and then remove that toggle switch. If it's a factory control plate, they would have drilled the hole and then chomed the plate, so it will look factory-original. The walls of the hole will likely be pretty smooth and without tool marks. If someone did the mod at home, there will be no chrome in there and it may be obvious that it was drilled from tool marks, jagged edges, chipped chrome, etc.

You can also remove the pickguard and look at the pickup cavity. I don't think Fender was routing for humbuckers as standard back then, so the route will have been enlarged and probably not finished. If it was finished, then it will probably look a little different than the finish on the rest of the body.
KokoTele is offline   Reply With Quote

» Random Photo for Guests
yella-sonic
Untitled Document