The red Fusion paint said "No Primer Needed" but I was afraid that I'd see too much of the pine's wood grain, so I primed it anyway.
I used some sanding sealer (2 coats) and then the primer and then the red paint. I did put two entire cans of some no-name clear gloss lacquer over the red, but I misted the first few coats on pretty dry, and then once I got a base established I put it on a bit heavier. I had lots of orange peel, but it sanded out. 2 cans of clear helped since I don't think I sanded through to the color at all. At least there was no red in my wetsand water/soap mixture.
I plugged the screw holes with wax so that I wouldn't get wood swell around them, and that seemed to help as well.
I sanded it with 600 wet/ dry, and then 1000 grit, 1200 grit, and lastly 2000 grit before I started to polish. I stayed off of the edges and sides a bit to minimize the sand throughs.
My hardware was purchased from lots of different places including AllParts (pick guard), Guitar Fetish (pick-ups and tuners), I purchased a Jazzmaster wiring kit that was put together by AllParts, but I didn't get it from them, I got it from S & K Guitar shop on the web. It was $52 instead of the usual $70.
I got lots of things from Angela Instruments as well. They have everything you need. The white witch hat knobs are hard to come by and the ones I got are for an amplifier and the numbers are facing inward instead of outward. The correct ones are pretty much non existant.
Last edited by Manitou; May 12th, 2012 at 05:14 PM.