Telecaster Guitar Forum - View Single Post - Chicken v. Egg fretboard finishing question
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

View Single Post
Old April 25th, 2012, 10:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Jupiter
Doctor of Teleocity

I'm really happy with the T-O. I don't find it sticky at all. I've done two necks with it. I waxed them with car wax at the end (about 3 coats, as recommended by Colt), and they're slick. I have a fairly thick coating on mine, enough to get a lacquer-like gloss. That was a LOT of coats. . . . The finish is holding up well, but I don't bang 'em around much. T-O is really a kind of varnish; my impression is that it's considerably tougher than shellac. I haven't used shellac myself, but I remember it peeled off the furniture pretty easily when I was a kid.

I used a white plastic eraser to wet-sand.

I tapered one end of it down to fit up tight against the frets. I also used a razor blade to scrape the build-up at the frets, but if you keep your coats thin, it doesn't really build up that much.

I buffed it with micro-mesh pads, and then wax, as I said above.

Anyway, not as tough as poly, maybe not quite as tough as nitro. But it feels good.

» Random Photo for Guests
1986 MIJ Paisley
Untitled Document