Telecaster Guitar Forum - View Single Post - 1989 American Standard Strat, near mint, should I?
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

View Single Post
Old March 26th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
spankdplank
Tele-Afflicted

I have an 87 Am Stndrd Strat that I bought new. It was one of the first ones I ever saw and has an "E4" serial number--a left over decal from when U.S. standard strat production stopped in 84. I still have it and it still sounds good. I have never done anything to it other than change the strings. I like the pickups. Flat poles, not hot, clear and snappy, with lots of quack in 2 & 4. Sounds like early Dire Straights. The TBX is nice because it gives the bridge pup almost a tele type bite when full up, or you can roll back the tone on the bridge pup. Nice comfortable neck w/ a satin finish. On the down side, the tremolo has a thin block, and I believe it has a swimming pool route, but I have never taken the pickguard off. The tremolo works well and the guitar stays in tune well. I have heard that some strats from that era, especially the sunburst finishes, have veneered bodys, but mine doesn't. It is black and you can clearly see a center seam in the light and it appears to be only two pieces. Mine seems to have pretty deep contours, much more so than 70's strats. Perhaps the body was originally destined for a 50s or 60's re-issue, as it was the first run of the Am Stndrds. Anyway, $1000 for a lefty in Austrailia sounds like a good price on a good guitar. As noted, they are a bit cheaper here.
spankdplank is offline   Reply With Quote

» Random Photo for Guests
1968 Tele
Untitled Document