Well. I made a template out of mdf for the neck from my master template. Since I had gone that far and it is still light out I decided to rout the neck too.
Everything was going fine until I got to the contoured part of the neck. I had a tearout, but not where the machine heads go, or where it will affect structural integrity. I have glued the piece back in and will finish shaping the headstock by hand and with a rotary drum sander. I don't think I will ever try to rout that part of the headstock ever again
The bright side is that it will not show when done and the rest of the neck turned out good. I have a couple scuffs on the heel that can be filled and fixed easily, they are very small, so all in all, I am happy with my first attempt at routing the shape of a tele neck.