I wasn't happy with the transition area from fret board to headstock, so I opted to cut another neck. I cut a truss rod slot and got that installed, and made a bit of a plug to fit over the adjustment socket so there's not a gaping hole there:
I lined up the FB and got that glued up last night, then after work today I set to trimming the FB to fit the new neck:
I cut a 1/8" nut slot, and set to work on the headstock transition:
I'm starting to get a feel for the way Fender did things. That man was a genius of the art production without sacrificing quality. Fender style products come together much quicker than Gibson style products.
Here's how I set up that tuner arrangement that requires such tight tolerances; first I mark precise positions one-half inch off the leading upper edge of the headstock, then drill a pilot hole all the way through with a very small drill bit:
Flip 'er over, and drill for the bushings with an 11/32" bit, about halfway through the headstock:
And flip 'er over again, this time drilling through the back with a 1/4" bit, right down the middle of the pilot holes:
It turned out just as nice and precise as the first one:
Now I've got to press in the frets while the back of the neck is still and uncarved, flat blank. Makes for a really nice platform for fret work. I'll get that done later this week. My buddy wants to come out here and put a hand in shaping the neck, so after the frets are in, I'm going to lay off for a while.