Mojotron's FORMER Build Challenge Thread
This will be interesting - lets see what happens.
It looks like I will be making a guitar for myself so I have a couple of things I would like to do with this build.
1) Versatility - I like to play all kinds of music, so I want to make something that has a good jazz tone with the neck position, has a good blues tone in all positions, and has a good rock tone in the bridge postition.
2) Upper fret access - I play a lot above the 12th fret so access to the 15th through 22nd fret is a priority.
3) Balance - I plan to do some things with this build to help balance out the weight of the neck and give the guitar more of an ability to stay stable and not get neck heavy when standing and playing.
4) Low action and playability - I want to make sure that this guitar plays really well and works really well mechanically so that I can get the neck completely adjusted setup. I want to do my best fretwork and maybe focus on rolling the edges of the frets a little better than past builds.
5) Contours - I plan to make this guitar really comfortable to play.
6) Woods - I'm still deciding on what to use. I've done a fair amount with maple one-piece necks - I would like to try something a little different. I have some Cherry for a neck wood as well as a few other options. Also I have been studying up on woods that are found around where I live and I will likely focus on using those woods - Wild Cherry, Bigleaf Maple, Alder, Oregon Ash, Madrone, Douglas-Fir, WR Cedar and Yellow Poplar.
Then again - I have a bunch of Bubinga that I really like as well as a fair amount of rosewood and a lot of Maple.
7) Jigs - I have a number of jigs that I would like to rebuild as well as making a jig to copy a neck back profile and I would like to make a jig that helps place the truss rod access hole in just the right spot.
8) Bridge - I'll likely be making my own bridge.
9) Pickups - I'll likely be making my own pickups.
Last edited by Mojotron; February 28th, 2011 at 02:16 AM.