Crashdavis' 2013 challenge build reclaimed doug fir - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Tele Home Depot > TDPRI Build Challenge Archives > 2013 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

2013 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge 2013 Build Challenge Forum -- check out all the build threads for this year's Challenge.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old July 21st, 2013, 01:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Crashdavis' 2013 challenge build reclaimed doug fir

My plan is a reclaimed Doug fir thinline-ish tele. Body and neck will both be doug fir. Not sure about fretboard material. Maybe walnut, maybe padauk, maybe some Bolivian rosewood I have. Can't wait to get started. Have fun everyone.

Darrin

Old July 21st, 2013, 02:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Cool, can't wait to see it!

Old July 21st, 2013, 02:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Good luck, Darrin. All the best!

I'm full of dust and guitars - Syd Barrett

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 21st, 2013, 02:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Look forward to watching! Good luck!

Old July 21st, 2013, 03:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Love the reclaimed wood, already has old mojo

Old July 21st, 2013, 04:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Good luck Darrin!

Old July 21st, 2013, 07:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Good luck!

Criss

Old July 21st, 2013, 07:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Good luck Darrin!

Old July 21st, 2013, 09:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thank you all. I think I'm going to have to spend some time cleaning the shop today before I get started. I have been working in keeping it a bit more useable. I am trying to spend a little time regularly to clean up, instead if wandering around cussing for 40 minutes looking for something every single time I'm in there.

Old July 21st, 2013, 10:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Thinline + douglas fir. Should be a good one.

Robert

Old July 21st, 2013, 02:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Best of luck to you.

Old July 21st, 2013, 10:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thank you guys. I haven't made my mind up on p'ups yet. Thinking of winding a funky neck one just to see. Or I already have a p90. May just end up with one ...or I do have some humbuckers I might rewind. Hmmmm.

Old July 21st, 2013, 11:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Forgot to say that I did tidy up the shop a bit today. Also disassembled the belt on my drum sander so I could sand some rust off the platen. It's an RBInndustries 26" drum sander with a 5/8"steel platen, I bought it used about 5 years ago and the guy had left it out in the rain. I tried cleaning it up before w/out taking the conveyor off, but not good enough. Under load, the friction on the platen would stop the conveyor which would sand a groove on the wood...no bueno. I figured it's about time.

My brother also gave me his old compressor today, a 60 gallon CH. Should work nice for spraying and if I get a decent air sander. It does need a new pressure switch and I'll have toto get it all set up, but I'm happy to have it. :-)

Old July 21st, 2013, 11:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

So, you clean your shop, eh? Are you supposed to do that? I wasn't aware of that. Maybe that's why I can hardly move in mine, and I can never find the tool I'm looking for--unless I trip over it. !

Seriously, glad you're in, looking forward to seeing some nice old wood get a second lease on life. Best of luck.

Old July 22nd, 2013, 02:00 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I don't clean nearly enough Rick, and spend too much time cussing and searching. BTW, I wanted to tell you how much your labrocaster has meant to me. I lost my big yellow boy 10 days ago. He was almost 12. A great big lab, you could never ask for a better dog. The Aussie phrase "good on ya" was never more appropriate than your build for a great tribute and great cause.

Last edited by crashdavis; July 22nd, 2013 at 03:16 AM.

Old July 22nd, 2013, 03:38 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Love repurposing wood that used to be something else. I think it's one of the coolest things ever. To make something fine out of something that's already served one useful life. Looking forward to it.

Old July 22nd, 2013, 06:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfellows View Post
Love repurposing wood that used to be something else. I think it's one of the coolest things ever. To make something fine out of something that's already served one useful life. Looking forward to it.
I agree. My first electric guitar used some 3/4" Luan left from an old bed frame. My first acoustic guitar top is a 5 piece redwood top made from a part of a 4x4 post when I built my deck. The first tele I made had, as part of its body wood, some birch left from a super ugly end table by wife used to own. I have a big slab of redwood burl that used to be a corner table. I picked it up at this little store in town for $20. Hopefully in the not too distant future it will cap another tele.

There is great useful wood all around us...not everything has to be waterfall bubinga or Brazillian rosewood. Don't get me wrong...I love those woods, but I also like making some things non-traditional and getting new use out of old things. I also like that you can often find it free or very cheap, and it doesn't necessarily have to look that way, as we see regularly on this forum.

I got my proof of start printed out and when I get home I'll take some pictures and get them posted so I can get to work. I couldn't get it to print very clearly...wouldn't surprise me at all if it was
some simple setting thing, but it looks fuzzy and pixelated.

Old July 23rd, 2013, 10:43 AM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Good luck, Darrin! Can't go wrong with a thinline.

Old July 23rd, 2013, 12:34 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Proof of Life Photo

Alright, here is my proof of start picture. I wish I had some awesome story about this reclaimed lumber...like it was originally from a tree that was knocked down by a cannon ball from Captain Kidd, then salvaged and milled into lumber to make a boat for Howard Hughes or framing for Kevin Bacon's home, but no.

The pieces in the lower right are going to be the top and back. They are sides from some drawers in some old kitchen cabinets. I was given a few of the cabinets years ago and used them as work benches in the garage. When I was going to get rid of them I took the drawers out to make them lighter to haul out to the burn pile. After looking at the wood, and being kind of a wood hoarder, I couldn't throw them out. I took the drawers apart. Some of the pieces have over 35 grain lines per inch. I'm hoping it makes a really nice looking and sounding guitar.

The other parts, outside of the piece of padauk are all from a local reclaimed building supply place. There is a telecaster neck that is currently in the shape of a raised panel door, and a piece of an old organ or piano I believe. I'm not sure what the 2x4 is from.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	proof.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	190481  

Old July 23rd, 2013, 01:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I got to work jointing some of the lumber. Getting them flat and square for glue up. Sorry, no action shots, this is a beast of a jointer that will eat you if you're the least bit inattentive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jointer.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	190490   Click image for larger version

Name:	jointer2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	190491   Click image for larger version

Name:	jointer3.jpg
Views:	58