volowv's 2012 Challenge Build Thread -- COMPLETED - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Tele Home Depot > TDPRI Build Challenge Archives > 2012 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

2012 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge 2012 Build Challenge Forum -- check out all the build threads for this year's Challenge.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 14th, 2012, 12:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

volowv's 2012 Challenge Build Thread -- COMPLETED

i couldn't stay away.

Old March 14th, 2012, 12:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Very cool!
Stoked you're here.

Old March 14th, 2012, 12:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyone View Post
Very cool!
Stoked you're here.
+1 - Very cool indeed - I loved your work in the last challenge!

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 14th, 2012, 12:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

count me in the group that's happy to see you here, too. I really liked your build last year and am excited to see what you do this year

Old March 14th, 2012, 01:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome back, and good luck!

Dave

My Facebook

Old March 14th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

thanks guys. it's good to see everyone here from last year.

i checked in around the beginning of the month. i figured the contest had already started so i was safe from the madness. i've been telling myself i wasn't going to do it this year because i didn't have the time, money or any good ideas. last night i peaked just to see who had started threads. i guess the mania took hold because this morning i started looking around the house and the parts drawers. i didn't find much, as expected, but i found just enough to make a strange, minimal-budget guitar.

best of luck to everyone!

Old March 14th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by volowv View Post
i couldn't stay away.
+1

I am so busy right now there is just no way I should be entering the build this year-especially with how much work my build is going to take. But just like you said--I couldn't stay away.

Good to have another vet return.

Me, "Ummm.... ya, I'm really the wrong guy to ask about that."

Old March 14th, 2012, 01:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

The 'mania' took hold, no kidding! Great to see you here.

Old March 14th, 2012, 01:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Loved your work last year and looking forward to more.

Old March 16th, 2012, 12:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

my main limitation here is that i have 4 tuners. i have no idea what they came off of, or where the other two went. so i'm going to make a 20" scale tenor guitar, 10 1/2" bout, chambered, set neck, more or less a rehash of last year... because that is how i build guitars, but i'm going to try some new things too. the original plan was to use 2x6 pine sandwiched between two pieces of 1/4" maple plywood, with a maple neck. after a few hours of thinking i decided i didn't like the pine. then i remembered a friend who works in a furniture shop. i noticed his waste bin the last time i was there.

sapele. alot of warped wood, discoloration, splits, insect damage, etc. nothing very large. nothing particularly useful ends up in these bins right? in a few minutes i gathered a pretty good pile of possible material. at home, i separated the best stuff and took this picture:

the plywood is a leftover piece of luann that my neighbor was using on the floor of his apartment. the fretboard is all the way on the left, a piece of some kind of brazilian cherry flooring that was left over from someone else's house.

then i went to another friends shop... after a few passes over the jointer. the blank is about 11 inches wide x 13 inches. there wasn't enough in the bin to make anything larger. i made another blank at the same time that looks like a butcher block, none of the laminations are over 3/4".

my buddy's jet 14".

neck. i think i have preeb to thank for this clamp... or someone else who got it from preeb. i use the dial on the front of the ryobi to get the tension even. start at zero and go to five maybe.

later, after chopping out the body. there were some splits in the blank but i couldn't tell how far they went into the wood... but now i can see i have a problem. for a minute i went through the options; epoxy, bondo, wood filler... decided the best (and cheapest) thing to do was to just remove the offending portion.

ran the body over my 4" craftsman mini-jointer, a pass over the ross for good luck. at this point i had used all of the wood i had taken from the original scrap bin, so i dug a small piece of spanish cedar out of my own bin.

i had been thinking of going with a fairly opaque stain to even out the color but i'm not sure anymore. there are alot of joints. it's not going to be a clear finish.

Old March 16th, 2012, 01:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

neck. i think i have preeb to thank for this clamp... or someone else who got it from preeb. i use the dial on the front of the ryobi to get the tension even. start at zero and go to five maybe.

I stole the idea from preeb, can't thank him enough!!

Old March 16th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I like your idea for this guitar. I really like the reclaimed wood. I do that myself when the opportunity presents itself. It's really fun to take things other s have thrown away, and make something that sings out of them!
Good luck. You're off to a great start.

The only thing necessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing.

Old March 16th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I like everything about the build--tenor, using scrap, set neck. It's going to be fun to watch.

Me, "Ummm.... ya, I'm really the wrong guy to ask about that."

Old March 16th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Very interesting build! I really dig off-the-wall stuff. One of the greatest things about this challenge is seeing things that you don't usually see.

Old March 17th, 2012, 01:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Your really gonna like that tenor. Gonna tune her the standard CGDA? If you like playing in the key of "C", it gives you a lot of range. Not to mention I can get my son to play it and play along with my lapsteel tuned in C6

BTW, if you find one of those other tuners, double up your "A" string for a real treat

Good work!

Dave

My Facebook

Old March 19th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

thanks for the support everyone.

crazydave, yeah, ACDG. thats the standard right? 10 on top and a 52 on the bottom? i'm not sure about the between gauges, i'll have to check a tension calculator when i get a chance.

axedaddy, totally right, i got that clamp idea from you last year.

4lbs 5 oz. too heavy.

put the neck on the centerline, screw down boards and hog.

removing the face of the neck pocket. the piece of wood on the inside is a cut-off from the neck tenon. it's really tight against the sidewalls. forms the backside of the template.

hogged. face is taken down to 3/16"s. sidewalls are 3/8". no template. face-plate of doom on the PC690.

cutting x-bracing. set bandsaw table at an angle.

2x3 blocks on top of the bracing.

clamped.

1lb, 7.7oz. it would be good to level it again, but i don't have a thickness sander.

still not sure what's going to happen with the layout, pickguard. i'm pretty sure its going to be one pickup. finish--- i'm starting to think black with cream/ivory binding...? but i don't know. i'm going to use rattlers, because i don't want to run color through my gun. lazy, lazy. maybe dupli-color? any suggestions?

Old March 20th, 2012, 03:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Ah yes - I remember that faceplate from last year:

That looks extremely useful.

Old March 20th, 2012, 03:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

beach weather is finally here.

76 the other day... in march? something is very wrong but i'm tired of the heating bills so spring is a welcome site.

spent an hour gathering up some shell fragments from blue mussels.

back at home i filled the jar with water and good dose of bleach. after 10 hours or so i pulled them out and let them dry.

sorted by color. i just used the white sections though.

$4 mortor and pestal. just a swish around once or twice. the shell pieces are pretty flakey and i don't want to break them up too much.

i re-crushed anything that wouldn't fit through the big shifter.

the little shifter separates the powder and smallest flakes so that i'm left with a fairly uniform size.

$1 #5 plastic(polypropylene) mold. only use #5 or the resin will melt your mold. no release agent. i'm using polyester casting resin. there are tons of youtube videos if you want more information. i should be using a mix cup and pouring into my mold but i'm using so little of the resin i mixed right in the mold. some of my corners were a little under-catalized, mushy.

way too much resin. this probably 2 oz.

not entirely what i was aiming for but it will do.

Old March 20th, 2012, 03:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Looks really cool! Good job so far.
I have used the Duplicolor lacquer before, in my 100 year old Pine P bass build. It turned out great. Just be careful if you go that route. Duplicolor makes lacquers and enamels. Most of the auto parts stores put them on the same shelf with one another. Make certain you get lacquer.
And, aprdon my ignorance, but what is the difference between a tenor guitar and a uke or mandolin? Construction? Tuning? Scale?
The reason i as is that i've been thinking along the lines of an electric mandolin, and would like to know what I'm getting myself into, lol.

The only thing necessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing.

Old March 20th, 2012, 03:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojotron View Post
Ah yes - I remember that faceplate from last year:

That looks extremely useful.
look at how clean it is! i guess i've put a few miles on it.

lately i've been noticing how effectively it contains the dust in the chambers. i should cut a hole in it and mount a small vacuum hose to it. someday.