Telecaster Guitar Forum - View Single Post - Celebrity Encounters
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

View Single Post
Old December 3rd, 2008, 05:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
HighTower
Tele-Lover
Tele-Afflicted

Celebrity Encounters

Since I came away disgraced for my post on meeting LR at the Red Fox, let me try to start fresh with a very positive encounter. I saw Loretta Lynn in 1972 at an outdoor, bench seating only, show in the middle of the woods in Culpeper VA. Her opening act was Hank Jr.[ who I had never heard before] and figured this would be a laughing stock, having recently discovered Hank Sr. musical legacy.
I was flat out floored by his baritone voice and instrumental fluency, and became an immediate fan. I saw him many times after that, but the one time I’ll never forget was at a nightclub in Waldorf, MD.
I saw his bus out front and decided to say hello. He was very polite and cool, and I told him how much I was looking forward to his show. So I went in early to have a drink and was stopped at the door by the bouncer and I swear it was right out of Johnny Paycheck’s “Outlaws Prayer”. He said I’m sorry sir but we can’t let you in without proper attire. I had on jeans and a home made t-shirt that said “Luke the Drifter”. I said what do I need? I live in Vienna, VA and can’t go home to change! He said you need a tie, a nice shirt and dress slacks to be allowed in. I was stunned! I only had $20 on me [for drinks] so I had to figure something quick. I went back to Hanks bus and told him my predicament. He laughed and said "I wear jeans and T’s all the time, but I don’t make the rules for places I perform". So now what? I drove to the closest Zayre’s and bought the cheapest shirt, tie and slacks and it took all $20 bucks. I went back to the bus again and showed Hank my new outfit. He laughed again and said “We’ll make it up to you during the show”. He did, halfway through the set he saw me and said “bartender, this man looks thirsty, all his drinks are on me”. He told the audience my story of improper attire and asked if I had any requests;
I told him to play “The Biggest Fool of the Year” one of his best IMHO). Then Merle Kilgore came over and sat at my table and said “it’s good to see young Hippies like you appreciate country music”.
Any other stories welcome, and those of you who are celebrities, how about fan encounters?
HighTower is offline   Reply With Quote

/td>

» Random Photo for Guests
some basses of mine
Untitled Document