Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky LawrenceWD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Yes, This is a Guitar Pick

Pykmax_VignetteMost of us don’t pay a lot of attention to our guitar picks. We might have favorites, but finding that exact one often means digging through jeans pockets, searching guitar cases, even checking the dryer. In most cases, we settle for the closest pick around, which should roughly work. After all, it’s just a pick, right?

Not according to Noam Sander.

While studying at Berklee College of Music, Noam was focused on finding ways to rapidly improve his playing. He realized that many things in the world of guitar had evolved over the years—pickups, effects, tone woods, amplifiers, etc.—but guitar picks had been “left in the stone age.”  His goal was to create one that minimized the gripping aspect of picking, allowing him to focus on the maneuvering aspect. That is what lead to Pykmax.

The body of the Pykmax fits between the crook of your hand and your index finger. It immediately feels good, especially for someone like me with carpal tunnel.

Pykmax top

The pick itself is hinged to the body; it rests between your thumb and index finger. Since it’s attached, you don’t have to monkey grip it—though you won’t be able to completely let go, the pressure you would apply to a normal pick is gone.

Pykmax front

So does that make you a faster/better/more precise picker?

The Pykmax definitely makes sweep picking easier, though keep in mind my sweep picking skills are nil, so we’re starting at a low base level. I’m am, however, a full-on Travis/hybrid picker. I found that the body of the Pykmax added a slight separation between my index and middle finger that made some Travis licks slightly awkward, though my ring finger and pinky cleared the body no problem. It might just take a little getting used to.

So should you get a Pykmax? If you’ve got pick gripping issues from arthritis, carpal tunnel, or maybe during the set break you just had one too many beers, then yes.

If not, still try one out. At $14 a pop, the Pykmax is not crazy expensive, and it really is super comfortable. It comes in two different sizes and several different gauges; replacement picks that snap in to the body will soon be available.

Yes, a Pykmax will look slightly bizarre in your hands, and yes, people will notice. But if it makes you feel better, who cares?

To purchase: Pykmax High Performance Guitar Pick / Adult Size // 0.60mm Plectrum

For more, check out this video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6KKswOW93k

Comments

12 Responses to “Yes, This is a Guitar Pick”
  1. magicguitar magicguitar says:

I picked up one of these just out of curiosity. It’s a gimmick period! I tried the medium grip and was way too small for me and my hands are small compared to most other folks. It was difficult to hold, kept slipping, and just felt awkward. Maybe others might like it but for me it’s a NO GO!

2. KCJonez says:

“Most of us don’t pay a lot of attention to our guitar picks.” Really? Is that true? I’m hardly an accomplished player and far from a professional, but I definitely know which picks I like to use (gauge and brand) and have given it a lot of attention over the years. I would imagine others feel the same, if not more strongly about their pick of choice. Also, the product looks kind of lame. I think if this were ever brought out on the Dragon’s Den or Shark Tank the investors would pass. Seems like trying to force a solution on something where there isn’t a problem.

• GregB says:

I agree with KC. Most of us pay a LOT of attention to our picks. I use either Jim Dunlop Jazz III (Red) or a V Pick on my electric guitars. The acoustics get Wegan Bluegrass picks and my mandolin gets a Wegan M150.

I’m very particular about my picks.

3. P Thought P Thought says:

You’re probably right that most of us (100+,000 TDPRI members) don’t put much thought into our picks, but that’s a tough lead for this story, because the only people that pay attention to a story like this are those of us who DO pay lots of attention to picks.

Offhand, I would say no: that’s not a guitar pick. It’s a gizmo. the pick is the part that contacts the string, and there’s no mention here of what that’s made of, how its point is shaped, how thick it is, how much flex it has. . .those are the things we picknuts are concerned with.

I AM a picknut, though, and as you said, the Pykmax is not crazy expensive. I have probably $5-600 worth of picks in my collection, so I might drop $14.95 just to check one out.

4. johnnyrotten says:

No, no it’s not a guitar pick…

5. Doc3 says:

Remember, Dunlap got his start in the music business by marketing the first plastic pick.

6. nicholaspaul nicholaspaul says:

I’m one of the pick(y) ones too, and $14 for something that WILL get lost in the dryer at some point in its life is a bit pricey.

If this thing helped carpal tunnel sufferers, it could help a lot of people, gimmick or not.

7. Muddbludd says:

It isn’t clear whether you can attach your own pick or you have to use the one it comes with.

8. RockerDuck says:

When I play I typically spin/turn the pick for a different attack on my strings when playing. Something like this would be useless to a lead player. But for a newbie, it might be a good trainer, however, I don’t ever remember a difficult time holding a pick.

9. MatsEriksson says:

Reminds me of Big Rock pick. http://www.bigrockeng.com/x1guitarpicks.html

Novelty thing. Gimmick. Fad Gadget.

“Not paying attention…”!?! That’s a bold exclusion, and throws away more than half of their prospected customers. There’s no possibility to angle your pick, or using different hardness or shapes. On a YouTube vid, someone who demoed it said in the video “Keeps you from holding the pick with three fingers, a common mistake by beginners…” Ehh say what?!? Steve Morse’s a beginner?!

I’ve never seen such a device for enabling you to hold your pen or pencil for handwriting. People doesn’t really have a problem with that. You reach for a pen/pencil and hope it works. You hold it as you please. Whether you turn out a Shakespeare or not has nothing to do with that pen/pencil. I see this, as a similar joke/gimmick no matter how much it really works. Pinched Harmonics? Don’t think so with this pick. You can’t angle it the slightest. This is a Tele forum and Telles works best for this due to their high treble content.

I don’t remember – too, as RockerDuck said – a time when there was a difficulty holding a pick. Just as much as a pen.

10. MatsEriksson says:

And no it’s stil not a pick, but a pick holder.

11. kickedback67 says:

I remember having problems holding a pick when I was just starting out. The vortex surrounding the sound hole is an amazing thing, so many times a dropped pick get sucked in. Personally I think the answer for the problem is the same answer for everything associated with the guitar…PRACTICE. It takes practice to learn a chord, it takes practice to make chord change cleanly, it takes practice to learn a strum pattern, it also takes practice to learn how hard you hold a pick without all the blood leaving your finger tips. I would classify it as a gimmick.