Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

American Vintage ’72 Telecaster Thinline Introduced for 2011

Fender’s new American Vintage ’72 Telecaster Thinline is set to evoke the historic tone characteristic of the ’70’s.

This new issue includes period-correct details such as: a semi-hollow ash body with f hole; maple fingerboard; Fender Wide Range humbucking neck and bridge pickups, vintage-style Stratocaster strings-through-body hardtail bridge, a three-bolt neck plate with Micro-Tilt™adjustment, bullet truss rod nut and vintage-style “F” tuners.

(Remember in the ’70’s when the three-bolt neck with Micro-Tilt™adjustment was a liability? Now it’s a “vintage correct detail”!)

Fender American Vintage ’72 Telecaster Thinline Electric Guitar Natural Maple Fretboard

Model Name: American Vintage ’72 Telecaster® Thinline
Series: American Vintage
Color / MSRP* / Part # :

Candy Apple Red
$2,399.99
010-0032-809

Natural
$2,399.99
010-0032-821

Comments

19 Responses to “American Vintage ’72 Telecaster Thinline Introduced for 2011”
  1. RockerDuck says:

Looks like my $800 MIM. Also, the description says it has a single coil pickup in the bridge, but I don’t see it.

2. Alex W Alex W says:

RockerDuck the second paragraph doesn’t really belong with the guitar pictured and I assume it is an error. The second paragraph pertains to the ’72 Telecaster CUSTOM, which has a solid body, no F hole, and a traditional Tele bridge/bridge pickup.

The guitar pictured in red is described in the first paragraph. It’s a ’72 Telecaster THINLINE which has two humbuckers, hollow body, and F hole.

3. tiskit86 tiskit86 says:

“Looks like my $800 MIM.”

Mine too. Triple the sticker for a MIA w/ the exact same specs as the MIM?

4. OaklandA OaklandA says:

“…Fender Wide Range humbucking neck and bridge pickups redesigned and re-voiced to sound even more like 1970s pickups. ”

Wonder what they mean, exactly. The MIM versions are not so great IMO, and I’d love to know the details of what Fender considers “redesigned and re-voiced”.

5. BarnesTO BarnesTO says:

I’ve ALWAYS wanted a black ’72 RI but I think when the time comes I’ll be happy with a MIM or CIJ. It’s no surprise that AVRIs cost this much but for me, I could buy MIM and still have bread left over for a tweed Blues Junior. Sweet!

6. itofranco itofranco says:

I love Teles -no wonder why I like this forum :) – and I’ve always wanted a ’72 Thinline. Finally I got a used MIM (absolutely mint condition) but I must admit it was a big disappointment. Overall, the construction quality and finish was very good but the neck was too thin for my taste. Needless to mention that Wide Range reissues are really far away from the original ball park… And, on top of that, the neck was heavier than the hollow body which is really uncomfortable when you have the guitar hanging. I really wish Fender had addressed some of these issues with its new American version.

• Retropedro Retropedro says:

In 1973 I bought a “Fender Telecaster Thinline”, sunburst, ash body, maple neck with “Seth Lover” designed “Fender Wide Range” humbucking pickups new for $799 AU. Yes it was a beautiful thang, We were not aware of the 1969 single coil Mahogany or Ash versions (not available in Australia). I sold it for $350 AU and bought a second hand Gibson Les Paul Custom Cherry Sunburst for $1200 AU (probably a bad decision). The “Thinline” had an open sound with natural sustain (similiar to a 335) but with twang. The Gibbo being fat and warm and no twang. Hope the reissue pickups are (CuNiFe (Copper/Nickel/Iron) rod magnets pole pieces). I’ve been thinking of how to recreate that same guitar ever since they stopped manufacturing those pickups. They weren’t that popular back in 1973 !

• itofranco itofranco says:

Hey Buddie… After my dissapointment with the MIM version of this Tele I have just kicked off my partscaster project to put together my own Thinline with humbuckers. Last week I ordered custom made body and neck.
        As regards pickups, I researched a lot online about WRHB so I can tell you: this Fender reissues are far from being made from CuNiFe and the design behind the covers is not even close to the Seth Lover’s originals.
        CuNiFe magnet, is said to be ridiculously expensive thess days being only one boutique manufaturer who claims to build this pickups 100% faithful to the original specs with CuNiFe. But the price is absolutely absurd. Who on earth would spend 800 bucks in a set of new humbuckers?
        There’s supposed to be some other options (from boutique manufacturers, as well) which, despite not having the correct magnets, are voiced very close to the original’s from the 70’s. My problem is that I wish I could be able to try them before ordering… but that’s a bit complicated when you live in South America. Cheers!

7. Retropedro Retropedro says:

itofranco thanks for the info. Over the years I’ve seen several original wide range humbuckers for sale on ebay and recently a couple installed in a 1970’s Ibanez Les Paul Cherryburst (the whole guitar for $900). You can get the real vintage guitar for $3000+ which is close to the new reissue price. I’ve even seen one made of Mahogany with humbuckers (apparently left over timber from the 1968 single coil version). Never saw or knew about the 1968 single coil version in 1973 until it was reissued in 1986 (Japan – Mahogany body). I prefer this version as it has a more traditional Telecaster sound (single coil twang verses humbucking with some twang). It’s all about the Fender Twang ! However the humbucking version will sing more when the amp is turned up, (no need for overdrive/distortion effects), just power amp valve saturation. I used this guitar in 1973 to record with “Count Copernicus” at United Sound Studios in Sydney. Straight into a 40 watt valve FiSonic head (Australian Made) with two 12″ cheap speakers. The volume control on 7 and it really sang, (overdrive pedals hadn’t been invented then, only Fuzz Boxes). This is when a Humbucking Thinline is at it’s best. Peter McDowell http://www.artcom.com.au

• Retropedro Retropedro says:

Forgot to mention the 1975 Semi Hollow Fender “Starcaster” with wide range humbuckers. I had a brown one of these, swapped a 1981 Antigua Fender Stratocaster (Rosewood Fretboard) for it. Then traded the Starcaster in for a neck through body Mahogany Stratocaster with EMG’s and a Washburn Wonderbar. The “Starcaster” was more like a Gibson ES-335 with twang. Maple neck, Ash body and center piece, strings through body. Also a very good thang !

8. Wallycaster says:

I am really new at this, so please bear with me.
    Would the new, American Vintage 72 Thinline be a better “jazzbox” than my standard Tele?
    Would it be warmer sounding?
    Thanks.

9. ! ! ! S T I C K E R S H O C K ! ! !
    I do wonder who they are marketing these things to? It surely isn’t the working stiff.
    Waaaaaaaay over-priced (imo). I will just have to stick with my old 84 MIJ Bullet for that Fender twang.

10. tele0053 says:

You know in 72 the wide range humbucking pickups were a big disappointment back then..
    they were better the standard tele pickups in the regular telecasters that year, the standard tele pickups were weak and were not potted. When turned up over six on the standard tele guitar would go into uncontrollable micro-phonic squeeling feedback (similar to a vocal microphone when in front of speakers).

The wide range pickups were loader and didn’t feedback but were still weird sounding.
    The wide range p/ups on the MIM Teles are far superior to the originals, those teles in the the early 70’s were so
    poorly constructed…. they were what made the pre CBS guitars so sought after now there considered “Vintage”

Please! 3,000 bucks for that?
    Unconscienable!
    caveat emptor!
    Buyer Beware!

11. tele0053 says:

I bought a 72 TL back in the 70’s, it was fatter sounding than a standard tele but was somewhat of a disappointment in the fact that it wasn’t as fat sounding of an es335, sg, or les paul and too middy/muddy for a tele.
    I recently bought a mim 72 thinline that really delivered the gibson es guitar sound quite well and the rear tele pu.
    in spades, going back to the older sound in my opinion is definetly a step in the wrong direction….the mim’s imho is a great improvement over an experiment that never really delivered the goods….

12. I have one, didn’t pay that although still pretty high. I think it was worth it, but there is no way to make that something everyone will decide. Build is great, mine is laquered natural and it’s quite a bit nicer than the MIMs I’ve seen, the feel and balance is great and those humbuckers are nice. With a tube amp there is a classic sonic range from twang to smooth. With the amp set clean, you can use those two knobs and one switch to really hear some magic, Les Paul to CW. Drive it, reverb, delay and you can make a lot of the noises of your choosing. The action can be moved around and tuning is not a big problem. I personally like the six saddles, they work great. Its very fast, smooth and slick feeling. Tuners are really good. To me it’s no shakedown, it’s the real deal. it’s just a beautifully done telecaster model. Plus some American guitar maker got a paycheck. Obviously there are other versions of Telecasters and other price points. Some folks want the certain usual things for a tele to be acceptable and this one is different, but this one works for me. Love it, actually.

13. Recently bought a MIJ 72Thinline from Ishibashi in Tokyo. Its an ’86 model in pristine condition – virtually no fret wear and only a few light pick marks on the guard. I’ve still not quite got into the sound and am not sure if the problem isn’t the pups. The neck pup is set as low as poss and the bridge as high yet the neck still has a heap more volume. They are Fender humbuckers but I’m considering trying out Lollar Royals as I’ve just fitted Lollars to my Classic Tele, also MIJ, and really like that. Funny thing was the pups that came off were from Fender America.
    I like the instrument, but not sure just how it should sound.